Why become a member? ×

Always on tuner

Burns-bass

I’m sure this has been asked before (I did check), but is there any tuner pedal (not a multi FX) that can operate while playing? (I.e. not muting the signal!)

It’ll be useful for my intonation while playing DB, so any help appreciated!

Edited by Burns-bass

17 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I’ll add it to my order when I get the Stanley Clarke pre!

Ah, well in that case see this post - https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/443383-ebs-stanley-clarke-acoustic-preamp/?do=findComment&comment=4909149

The tuner out can (undocumentedly) be on permanently, so you could use any tuner of your choice.

On 28/02/2023 at 20:21, PaulThePlug said:

Pedaltrain SST...

I would agree, except the one I had was really inaccurate and struggled to pick up bass notes. 

I’ve just got a Swiff mini tuner which I run from the tuner output of my preamp - works really well for just double checking intonation. 

I remember going to a gig many years ago and the bass player (Pete Way I think) had a rig that included a brightly illuminated tuner, up on the stack somewhere, which was going throughout the set as he played, really big and clear that you could "read" from the audience / mosh pit/ whatever. 

Funnily enough it is the thing that sticks in my mind about the gig,  no idea what make or model it was, but v. handy I thought 😁

8 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I remember going to a gig many years ago and the bass player (Pete Way I think) had a rig that included a brightly illuminated tuner, up on the stack somewhere, which was going throughout the set as he played, really big and clear that you could "read" from the audience / mosh pit/ whatever. 

Funnily enough it is the thing that sticks in my mind about the gig,  no idea what make or model it was, but v. handy I thought 😁

Rack tuners are some of the most fun you can have with bass gear for £100 or so. I had a Korg that was brilliant, sat in a rack with my Helix.

44 minutes ago, Jack said:

Rack tuners are some of the most fun you can have with bass gear for £100 or so. I had a Korg that was brilliant, sat in a rack with my Helix.

I always wanted one of the Korg DTRs but they were always a bit too pricey for me, even used. Then the Korg PB05 came out, and it only cost me £55 brand new. It looks incredibly cool! It’s not so good at picking up an open low B string, but I tend to use the 12th fret harmonics anyway, I just find it more accurate, on everything, that way.

Unfortunately, they’re discontinued now and go for a lot more than I paid for mine. There’s a used one on EBay at the moment, asking for nearly £200! And then they want £23 postage, which is ridiculous because, while it is 19” long, the other dimensions are tiny, and it weighs practically nothing.

Around 1989/1990 I worked in a guitar shop. Rack gear was all the rage. It took me a long time to actually get my own, but I do think a big ol’ rack, full of different coloured gear and lots of knobs and glowing LEDs, is a wonderful sight to behold.

I currently have an 8 unit rack, with both my bass and guitar gear in it. But there are a few other bits I want to add, so I am going to build (from scratch) myself a floor standing, studio rack.

On 02/03/2023 at 12:21, pete.young said:

This is not a good idea. Better to develop the tuner between your ears.

Cheers Pete, I get all that (and if you've followed my posts on the DB section, it's something I work on each day).

But sometimes needs must – especially when I'm playing with an amplified blues band. The purpose is to ensure I'm starting each song in the right position... 

It's like training wheels. I'll use it for a bit, then when I've got the confidence it'll come off and happy days. 

Edited by Burns-bass