Why become a member? ×

Pedal board clean bypass

SteveXFR

External blending is fraught with phase problems. Best avoided by using pedals with their own clean blend.

Afaik all distortions produce a phase reversed signal, no problem until you blend and your mids come over all muddy.

There are blender pedals like One Control that have  a phase switch. Fine for one pedal but not for multiples unless you always use the same set.

Then there are multi channel blenders like the ones from a Canadian outfit whose name escapes me. They make the Attack Goat, the only pedal I would like to try solely because it has the best name for a bass distortion ever. Multi channels lets you have 180° control over each which is far far better than none at all.

This does have a phase switch…
https://www.brightonion.co.uk/blender-looper/?sku=bopblend1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI87Djuby5_QIVRe7tCh3w7QskEAQYAyABEgIZlvD_BwE

£70 plus vat.   

But tbh, the boss LS2 is a great pedal to have to hand just because it’s quite versatile.   I waited until one came up cheap on eBay,  within driving distance.  I set a search and found one for ‘collection only’ ,  which limits the amount of buyers, and got it for around £45.  (A couple of years ago admittedly).    They seem to hold value at around £65 or more so it doesn’t hurt to have one kicking around.

Edited by GremlinAndy
Updated info.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Boodang said:

...yet!

Yeah.   I found most combinations of pedals have been ok.   
However there’s been a couple of times where I’ve been struggling to get a sound to blend well.   Everything just falls out the bottom as you mix the two sounds..   Then you hit the phase switch and hey presto, that was the problem all along.   You don’t miss it until you need it, and then you understand why it was an important option.    (I’m using a gig-rig ‘wetter box’ for loop blending duty.  Great, but not cheap)

There's another potential phase issue aside from polarity inversion: if you have any digital pedals in the effected chain they will add a slight delay to the signal which will result in comb filtering when blended back with your dry signal.

7 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I haven't needed one

There's two kinds of bassists who all use distortion / overdrive in various degrees.

Those whose tone includes a significant amount of clean mids who will easily hear when a phase correction is in order and have opted for said correction.

The rest. I suspect many of this group have never A/B trialled a phase correction to their clean blend.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GremlinAndy said:

This does have a phase switch…
https://www.brightonion.co.uk/blender-looper/?sku=bopblend1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI87Djuby5_QIVRe7tCh3w7QskEAQYAyABEgIZlvD_BwE

£70 plus vat.   

But tbh, the boss LS2 is a great pedal to have to hand just because it’s quite versatile.   I waited until one came up cheap on eBay,  within driving distance.  I set a search and found one for ‘collection only’ ,  which limits the amount of buyers, and got it for around £45.  (A couple of years ago admittedly).    They seem to hold value at around £65 or more so it doesn’t hurt to have one kicking around.

It comes in a choice of colours as well!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

There's two kinds of bassists who all use distortion / overdrive in various degrees.

Those whose tone includes a significant amount of clean mids who will easily hear when a phase correction is in order and have opted for said correction.

The rest. I suspect many of this group have never A/B trialled a phase correction to their clean blend.

I have 4 different drive options on my board. I guess I've just been lucky.

• Like 1