Why become a member? ×

Get in... a 'new' Fender line up!

warwickhunt

25 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Why invest in R&D when making the same old products gets you a metric f**k ton of cash?

No need for retooling either I would imagine. 

We may slag off Fender for the continual reissuing of their most successful, historic guitars and basses, but folk keep on buying them and they’d be daft not to keep feeding the beast what it wants. In short, we are to blame.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ezbass said:

No need for retooling either I would imagine. 

We may slag off Fender for the continual reissuing of their most successful, historic guitars and basses, but folk keep on buying them and they’d be daft not to keep feeding the beast what it wants. In short, we are to blame.

Exactly. They have a business model that works well. 

I used to think I wouldn't have a P bass because it only does one thing. Then I realised that one thing works really well and now I've got three of them. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I will add to my previous comment that as much as I like the P bass, personally I'd only buy Mexican Sandberg.  A good mex Sandberhg p bass gets the job done for a reasonable price and I can take it anywhere and not worry. 

Fixed it for you!  ;)  

34 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Mexican Fenders are half the price of a Sandberg. Also, I used to play in a band with a Mr Sandberg who managed to take all the fun out of playing metal. 

Therein is the conundrum; there are several MIM Fender basses that are way in excess of German made Sandbergs (used... or new) and the Sandberg Electra range are easily as good as MIM Fenders and just as cheap used.

10 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Exactly. They have a business model that works well. 

I used to think I wouldn't have a P bass because it only does one thing. Then I realised that one thing works really well and now I've got three of them. 

I used to think a P was pretty boring because everyone had one but, after picking one up and playing it for a while, you realise why everyone has one. They just fit in the mix really well. I've now got 2 and am thinking about picking up a 3rd, which I would have thought was crazy a few years ago.

Speaking of Fender releasing new but old but new stuff.......they've added a few new colours to the player series. Candy apple red Jag and jazz, seafoam green and CAR precision and a few more left handed options in the player plus line too. 

The seafoam green looks pretty cool...

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-player-precision-bass-sea-foam-green/961833

The market is wide open for anyone to come up with a better product at a better price. It's a hard road to compete with the F though, such is the power of the brand.

Buy what you like and disregard the rest is fine by me.

As far as I can remember I own 1 Fender and 2 Jap knockoffs. Not in the market for any new basses as my used ones do the job.

Haven’t Fender always done this though? Today we obsess over minor differences between vintage models - maybe in 50 years time they’ll do the same about those minor differences we see today? No different really, is it?