Why become a member? ×

Zoom B2 Four

MarshallBTB

On 26/05/2023 at 22:47, MichaelDean said:

When developing for Android, there are how many different manufacturers with how many different models with different hardware combinations? Plus custom stuff put on top of the android base OS. I think Google have tried to make it easier over the years, but it is generally harder. 

This is accurate, I do release management for a public used app and it's a far bigger an overhead supporting the numerous Android devices. We've had to limit it to the main ones and have reduced functionality in other devices, and no download at all for the really old ones. There's a web alternative, however.

Edited by Machines

• 4 months later...

Well, I did it last weekend. Gigged the B2-Four and it worked very well. I have copied some of my most used patches from the B1-Four and added a version of @JohnDaBass B1-Four patch for Free/Bad Company.  I found I used that one a lot. Thanks @JohnDaBass

So impressions at a gig?

1. The B1-Four has possibly the best onstage tuner with an LCD and an LED display. However, even without my glasses I could see the B2-Four Tuner without difficulty.
  2. The traditional foot switches are a step-up from the B1 ON and B1 Four as there is no chance of accidentally selecting the Tuner or moving/selecting the wrong effect.
  3. Most of the time I use about 6 patches in this band and as you have three instantly below your feet, it seemed fine.
  4. The fiddly switches to move the patches up one or ten places were OK. Yes you had to watch your toes carefully, but I never had a problem over the two hours.

Not much else to say, I am still adjusting volumes on the patches transferred from the B1-Four to the B2-Four, but there is a knob on the pedal, so you can do it on the fly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 25/10/2023 at 20:05, JohnDaBass said:

Oh dear, does that mean I need to purchase a B2 Four to join my 2 X B1Fours  and my B6.🙄.

I'm pleased to hear you're getting some use of my earlier patch.

In all honesty do you agree that the sounds from the B2Four have an edge on the B1Four?

I was going to say that, but then I thought I should do some more listening, even recording but the main thing is it all seems much clearer than the B1-Four. 

I am struggling with a bug, but will try to get some recordings comparing the two units, either Tomorrow or Friday. 

Added Monday 30th   Still got the bug, so don't hold your breath.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Amyton3043 said:

Really hung up about this I'm looking at the screen on the B6 and thinking, that it's easier to control. But thinking it if the B2 four has the processing power and sounds as good why am I spending more, someone help.

The dreaded gas strikes!! Need and want are distinctly different. Maybe you want it but don't need it - if you can afford it then buy it but be prepared for the that feel good feeling to wear off pretty quickly!! I've looked at the B6 and B2 four too. Ive got a B1 four x and a B3n and just can't justify it. Think of the strings you could buy with the money!! 🤣

Edited by King Tut
  • Like 2

On 25/10/2023 at 20:50, Chienmortbb said:

I was going to say that, but then I thought I should do some more listening, even recording but the main thing is it all seems much clearer than the B1-Four. 

I am struggling with a bug, but will try to get some recordings comparing the two units, either Tomorrow or Friday. 

Guess I've got the same question as @JohnDaBass ie can you hear quite a difference between the B1-4 and B2-4 in terms of sound quality? 

• Like 1

On 07/12/2023 at 17:38, Amyton3043 said:

Really hung up about this I'm looking at the screen on the B6 and thinking, that it's easier to control. But thinking it if the B2 four has the processing power and sounds as good why am I spending more, someone help.

The reason I went with the B6 was that I wanted to be able to change effects mid song or quickly between songs. I have a B1-4 but this has sequential effects selection and you have to know in advance the sequence (which in some line-ups I've played in is not always an option). I have the B6 set up so that the patch change gives me four amp set-up patches and for each patch I can have up to 4 selectable effects pedals. For example, patch 1 has a clean SVT with compressor, chorus, flanger and phase 'pedals'. Once I've selected that patch, I can switch to 'Effect Board' mode and engage/disengage the pedals as necessary. 

In the New Year I may be sharing bass and guitar duties in one of my bands. The B6 gives me two selectable inputs and with careful use of the effects loop I should be able to swap between guitar and bass.

In terms of sound quality, my jaded ears can't spot the difference between the B6 and the B1-4 and neither (I suspect) can the PA speakers/room acoustics/audience. I don't use it to record, which is where any sound quality differences would show up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

Excited to receive my B2 Four tomorrow! 🥳

It will be to effectively replace my long-serving B3, and a couple of drive pedals.

I have band rehearsal tomorrow evening though, and won't have chance to play with it beforehand...  Do I take it along and dive in at the deep end, or do I need to put some time aside to figure it out? I am fairly familiar with zoom products, and borrowed a B1 Four recently to play with. I mainly need to set up a light OD/crunch, a heavier OD/dist, and something chorusy.

Edited by TRBboy

Hey guys, weird question.....

I've received my B2 Four from Thomann today, but it has an EU adaptor with it.... I've just spoken to Thomann via web chat, and they're saying these units only come with an EU adaptor, there is no UK one available? 

Seems strange....

Could any of you that already have one of these tell me if that's true?

Ta,

Oli

Edited by TRBboy

5 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Hey guys, weird question.....

I've received my B2 Four from Thomann today, but it has an EU adaptor with it.... I've just spoken to Thomann via web chat, and they're saying these units only come with an EU adaptor, there is no UK one available? 

Seems strange....

Could any of you that already have one of these tell me if that's true?

Ta,

Oli

On the Zoom website they list an EU and UK version, apart from the power supply I cannot imagine what the difference would be.

CleanShot2024-03-28at17_42.00@2x.thumb.png.e7e0a1791270ca21247ba06fab3cf646.png

Sam x

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

On the Zoom website they list an EU and UK version, apart from the power supply I cannot imagine what the difference would be.

CleanShot2024-03-28at17_42.00@2x.thumb.png.e7e0a1791270ca21247ba06fab3cf646.png

Sam x

Thanks Sam 👌 I will play the game with Thomann then ... 😅

• Like 1

Received the B2 Four on Thursday, unpacked it and shoved it straight on my board, and went in at the deep end at band rehearsal. Managed to get some usable sounds fairly quickly, I found the UI quite intuitive.

I was absolutely gutted initially to realise that in memory mode, you can only trigger one patch at a time! No idea why they didn't configure it so any or all of the three patches on-screen can be used at once 🤦.

However, with 5 slots in each patch and it being so easy to switch between patch and memory modes,I should be able to work with it no problem, will just need to approach it a bit differently.

I'm really loving the drive sounds so far, which is my main need. Anyone got any tips on layering/configuring drive patches?

Played around with it a little more yesterday daytime, and gigged it last night, and it sounded great! My patch for a more full-on distortion uses the Dark Drive, but I felt there was a bit of low end suck, so might have to combine it with a comp and EQ to balance it out.

Overall though, very happy so far! 😊👌

PXL_20240330_202306593.MP.jpg

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 4

I'm guessing the "Dark Drive" is the Darkglass B3K? In which case adding an EQ sim in your Dark Drive patch to beef up the low end should deal with that low-end suck you're getting.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2023 at 23:12, King Tut said:

Ive got one of the expression pedals. Zoom do a G2fourX so I dont see why we should be left out!!

I emailed them and asked this question. They said there are no plans at all to make a B2X Four. Fortunately, I've already got an FP02 I use with my old B2 I'm going to replace witha B2 Four soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrumbleStiltskin said:

I emailed them and asked this question. They said there are no plans at all to make a B2X Four. Fortunately, I've already got an FP02 I use with my old B2 I'm going to replace witha B2 Four soon.

I've just gone over to the dark side and bought an HX Stomp FX

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

No app? No problem. 

iOS support but not Android? 

No thanks. 

There is a problem with Android. There are multiple manufacturers and the OS is controlled by another company (Google). So its like the wild west in terms of policing Android distribution. With iOS it is one stop manufacturer and OS provider so much less support needed. The platform is stable and reliable.

I am not saying Apple are perfect but most  of the Pro Audio software and DAWs are on Apple devices as they have prioritised audio visual performance. I have an Lenovo Android tablet which takes over 1 second to respond.  That makes it unusable.

Now where I will criticise Zoom is that the old PC editing software does not work on the B2 Four. On the plus side the effects are quieter  and there are some really useful patches out of the box.

On 25/10/2023 at 20:50, Chienmortbb said:

Wondering if we might still be able to get you to do an A/B of the B2-4 vs the B1-4 for us? Be great if you could! 😊

• Like 1