Why become a member? ×

Gold foil jazz bass

Quilly

• 2 weeks later...

Latest video on Dave’s World of Fun stuff has one with very sharp fret ends that appear not to have been finished at all after cutting to length. One would hope that’s just a one off glitch in the QC that missed it not a problem with all this edition. Presumably they use the same necks as on other MIM Jazzes?

whoops, sorry BNT didn’t notice you’d already flagged this one.

Edited by Grahambythesea
Added content
  • Haha 1

I tried one of these my local shop and the frets were sharp and would need some work. Other than that the finish was fine, but I didn't find the bass particularly inspiring.

I also tried the Mononeon Jazz whilst there, and it was superb. Fit and finish was great, and it comes from the same factory. I guess the signature models get the extra tlc .. I have a JMJ Mustang and that is top quality.

Years ago - decades in fact - a friend had an extremely cool jazz bass that had been stripped back to bare wood, covered in gold and silver leaf, attacked with a blowtorch and then lacquered. The effect was extraordinary, it looked like it had been rescued from a fire in a Czar's palace or something. I clicked on this thread kind of hoping that it might have resurfaced... I bet it's out there somewhere.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JoeEvans said:

Years ago - decades in fact - a friend had an extremely cool jazz bass that had been stripped back to bare wood, covered in gold and silver leaf, attacked with a blowtorch and then lacquered. The effect was extraordinary, it looked like it had been rescued from a fire in a Czar's palace or something. I clicked on this thread kind of hoping that it might have resurfaced... I bet it's out there somewhere.

That's exactly the kind of thing I thought,seeing the title! 

Now that jazz you described sounds brilliant.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeEvans said:

Like this?

DSC01464.jpg

Made by Sandberg. Fantastic finish IMO. Pity it's been applied to such an otherwise boring looking instrument.

It was more weird than that - squares of gold and silver leaf randomly applied, almost bare wood in places and charred / melted bits where it had been burned. Straight gold is a bit too blingy for me, this was more of a steampunk / post-apocalyptic vibe.

Edited by JoeEvans

1 minute ago, JoeEvans said:

It was more weird than that - squares of gold and silver leaf randomly applied, almost bare wood in places and charred / melted bits where it had been burned. Straight gold is a bit too blingy for me, this was more of a steampunk / post-apocalyptic vibe.

What a shame you have no pics of it, I'm most intrigued now... 

• Like 1