Why become a member? ×

Wal Mk11 fretless

TheGreek

Definitely heading North.  Interesting (or not) to see where this one lands: I suspect there will be much excitement and a deep space destination.

If anyone is interested, Summerseat is a lovely little place and worth a visit without travelling to part with a wedge.

It's indeed a Wal Mk1 as it only has 21 positions (or frets for a fretted bass). I had the same in the 90's when nobody was wanting them anymore, bought back 3 times (I know, I know) for peanuts and definitely sold for peanuts too...

I totally agree.

Wal has defied the Bass Market by prices going through the ceiling while the prices of most other brands have either gone backwards or climbed slowly. I suspect some of the buyers are collectors, betting that prices will remain high. This may be true while demand is high and supply is low, but personally I couldn't gel with either of the two I had. 

I'm expecting the demand for GB Basses to rocket at some point - again supply and demand - but Bernie builds fantastic basses which players love. Wish I'd kept my Rumour.

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Utterly insanely overpriced as I said, Mick.

But it's what people are prepared to pay for a Wal nowadays.

I hope they won't cry blood tears when the market gets back to normality...

I don't understand this sentiment. Anything is always worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.

Wals regularly swap hands for nearly double this on here and elsewhere.

Why, because many, many people deem that they are "worth" that.

This particular example sold quite cheaply compared to the current market values. No doubt that was due to collection only and cash on collection.

2 hours ago, dyerseve said:

I don't understand this sentiment. Anything is always worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.

Wals regularly swap hands for nearly double this on here and elsewhere.

Why, because many, many people deem that they are "worth" that.

This particular example sold quite cheaply compared to the current market values. No doubt that was due to collection only and cash on collection.

Agree. There is one FS on BassChat right now for over £10k - not going to diss the guy, I wish him well with his sale, even though I last sold a Wal fretless only 4/5 years ago for £3k. Its the market

7 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Agree. There is one FS on BassChat right now for over £10k - not going to diss the guy, I wish him well with his sale, even though I last sold a Wal fretless only 4/5 years ago for £3k. Its the market

Didn't wanna say... but I had thought that! 

Each to their own of course, but I'd rather have 3 (probably 4!) custom made ACGs than a Wal.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

Do we think the Wal price explosion has settled now ?

bassbros and andys have stuff around 8k 

You have to be buying at that price for investment i'd say ,but will it rise ?

Interesting - prices seem to have plateaued recently; I guess partly down to the global economic situation and partly there’s been a bit of a spate of selling, presumably owners taking a chance on getting the best price now.    As that spate dries up I suspect prices will creep up again, as Wals will not only continue to be perceived as investment items, but also are still very much used by pros and session musicians who will pay what it takes to achieve that sound.   It’s been said before; £10K might seem a crazy price to us, but a pro / semi-pro violinist or classical guitarist could easily pay ten times that for a top level instrument.

I’ll be hanging onto mine though 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2023 at 14:24, Shaggy said:

Interesting - prices seem to have plateaued recently; I guess partly down to the global economic situation and partly there’s been a bit of a spate of selling, presumably owners taking a chance on getting the best price now.    As that spate dries up I suspect prices will creep up again, as Wals will not only continue to be perceived as investment items, but also are still very much used by pros and session musicians who will pay what it takes to achieve that sound.   It’s been said before; £10K might seem a crazy price to us, but a pro / semi-pro violinist or classical guitarist could easily pay ten times that for a top level instrument.

I’ll be hanging onto mine though 🙂

I bottled out when Derek Forbes ex Simple Minds was selling his Wal on ebay .It went for £4500,about 7-8 years ago 

i should have gambled 

• Like 1