Why become a member? ×

Is no one buying bass amps then or what?

maxrossell

I've been looking at buying a bass amp recently, so I've been spending quite a bit of time on eBay, and in the past week I've seen a good two dozen bass amps go unsold despite the opening prices or buy-it-nows being set at half their new RRP or less, often far less than what people would think of as their real second-hand value.

On the one hand I'm quite pleased about this because hopefully I won't have too much competition and might get a killer deal when I come to make a purchase, but on the other hand, is the economy really that bad that mass bargains are going unbought?

Just last week, I saw an immaculate second hand Hughes & Kettner combo worth over a grand new go for £190. Virtually every Ashdown I've seen has remained unsold despite being very reasonably priced. Is this the economy or what?

[quote name='maxrossell' post='471949' date='Apr 25 2009, 12:07 AM']I've been looking at buying a bass amp recently, so I've been spending quite a bit of time on eBay, and in the past week I've seen a good two dozen bass amps go unsold despite the opening prices or buy-it-nows being set at half their new RRP or less, often far less than what people would think of as their real second-hand value.

On the one hand I'm quite pleased about this because hopefully I won't have too much competition and might get a killer deal when I come to make a purchase, but on the other hand, is the economy really that bad that mass bargains are going unbought?

Just last week, I saw an immaculate second hand Hughes & Kettner combo worth over a grand new go for £190. Virtually every Ashdown I've seen has remained unsold despite being very reasonably priced. Is this the economy or what?[/quote]

You've hit the nail on the head. Economy, dead slow or stop and people watching the pennies. Some stuff will always sell (stick an Aguilar DB112 cab up for sale atm and see how long it lasts :) ) and if the right buyer is looking for what you have then you'd likely as not get what you wanted (stick a Sadowsky METRO up for sale :D ) BUT middle of the road or exotic gear on eBay with 'no reserve' would be a desperate measure at present.

All very good if you have the funds and are secure enough to be able to spend... Oh and the H&K went to a good home btw :rolleyes: (not me).

A few days back I was the only bidder on a whole pre-Gibson Trace Elliot rig - AH300-12, 1153 and 2103H cabs - and got it for a steal at £650. It is in near immaculate condition despite being 10 yrs old. I couldn't believe it. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I have to try and shift my Ashdown kit which, even though only 4 months old, I suspect I will have to take a massive loss on it. When balanced out I guess what I didn't have to pay out for the Trace Elliot gear tips the balance on what I will lose on the Ashdown but it is never nice.

Buyer's market on pretty much anything at the moment.

If you're looking to shift stuff quickly, target the Euro and Dollar markets. On eBay make sure you tick the "Ship Worldwide" box so that your goods come up on searches for people using eBay in Germany, Italy, the USA, etc.

Most of the high-end stuff I've sold recently has gone abroad because the exchange rate makes it relatively cheap if you're buying in Euros.

[quote name='Paul S' post='472009' date='Apr 25 2009, 08:18 AM']A few days back I was the only bidder on a whole pre-Gibson Trace Elliot rig - AH300-12, 1153 and 2103H cabs - and got it for a steal at £650. It is in near immaculate condition despite being 10 yrs old. I couldn't believe it. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I have to try and shift my Ashdown kit which, even though only 4 months old, I suspect I will have to take a massive loss on it. When balanced out I guess what I didn't have to pay out for the Trace Elliot gear tips the balance on what I will lose on the Ashdown but it is never nice.

Buyer's market on pretty much anything at the moment.[/quote]

Its that same old thing like you get with the car market - the price of your part exchange and the price of the new one are somewhat irrelevant -
its always the price to change that is important.

Like with motors, everyone will probably be hanging on to their gear until the current financial situation alters. Best deals to be had will be if
you've nothing to sell/part-ex that may only go for less than it should.

Edited by casapete

I have seen a few Ampegs Classic heads and 8x10 cabs on ebay go dirt cheap (different bids, but like 800 quid if you won em both!) but i'm too skint to get one before i sell my Orange AD200B with OBC 4x10 and OBC 1x15. This amp is impossible to sell! Only reason i am sellin it is that it's not right for my band. sounds ace though.

Also, i wanna try the Marshall VBA, seen them heads goin for 400 quid! I'm well gutted!

[quote name='DanFold' post='472104' date='Apr 25 2009, 12:15 PM']I have seen a few Ampegs Classic heads and 8x10 cabs on ebay go dirt cheap (different bids, but like 800 quid if you won em both!) but i'm too skint to get one before i sell my Orange AD200B with OBC 4x10 and OBC 1x15. This amp is impossible to sell! Only reason i am sellin it is that it's not right for my band. sounds ace though.

Also, i wanna try the Marshall VBA, seen them heads goin for 400 quid! I'm well gutted![/quote]
try the orange out with some different cabs before you flog it the orange cabs are terrible from my experience.

[quote name='DanFold' post='472104' date='Apr 25 2009, 12:15 PM']I have seen a few Ampegs Classic heads and 8x10 cabs on ebay go dirt cheap (different bids, but like 800 quid if you won em both!)[/quote]

The Ampeg 8x10 cabs have always been difficult to sell - but only because they are so big/heavy - I'd love one but like most folks just haven't got the space to store one (I can just imagine what the Mrs would say if she came home & found an Ampeg 'fridge' in the kitchen!) - or the transport/logistics/road crew to move it!!!
Similar thing with the big Ampeg valve heads - lovely but they are huge & very heavy - & that's before you put it in a flight case! :)

I used to have an Ampeg Fridge... I mean an ACTUAL fridge! haha it broke though :)

And yeah, the Orange cabs sound better than any i have tried. If you can keep them at head hight... If not, because they are soo deep front to back, they sound a mess. i'm a sucker for matching things though, Orange head, Orange cabs... Marshall head, marshall Cab...

I'm just not a huge fan of the EQ anymore on the orange amp,

Every band i hear that i like the sound, It's an ampeg...

Start buying again people and get this Orange off me! so i can have my ampeg :-)

[quote name='DanFold' post='472148' date='Apr 25 2009, 01:01 PM']I used to have an Ampeg Fridge... I mean an ACTUAL fridge! haha it broke though :)

And yeah, the Orange cabs sound better than any i have tried. If you can keep them at head hight... If not, because they are soo deep front to back, they sound a mess. i'm a sucker for matching things though, Orange head, Orange cabs... Marshall head, marshall Cab...

I'm just not a huge fan of the EQ anymore on the orange amp,

Every band i hear that i like the sound, It's an ampeg...

Start buying again people and get this Orange off me! so i can have my ampeg :-)[/quote]

If I were you I wouldnt sell the Orange for an Ampeg...no way. The Orange will always sell extremely well when the right bidder comes along. A lot of people have negative views on Amopeg right now (not me though!). Orange are surging into massive popularity and Ive seen a few USA bands using the entire Orange bass rig. I do love Ampeg myself, the SVT 3 Pro is great but seems to lack juice, and the CL is obviously a good head.

I have the AD200b and the Orange 4x10 and 1x15. The 1x15 on its own is incredible. Capable of a lot, (and ive seen some very good pro reviews). With the 4x10 its just a brilliant tone monster. But the Orange 'sound' is definitely different to Ampeg. It is, to me, thicker, fuller and with way better dirt. But yes, an 8x10 is awesome. I have the Ampeg 810 for a totally different sound. Its good to have the option of what cabs to take.

The Ampeg Classic I compared it to just didnt have much else going on, and I had to fiddle to get the right sound. I was a little disappointed. The Orange instantly gave me awesome tone. No messing about...I barely touch the EQ. Thats what sold it to me...and the fact it looks way cool. Plus Orange seem really good with warranty issues.

Ive tried a Marshall 8x10 and it was a bit...well it was good but not amazing. I don't like the VBA.....very loud yes, but some weird controls. Marshall is always a bit too everyday for me.

If I were to recommend anyone a tube head with some grit and awesome looks I'd say Orange straight away.

I'd say dont sell! hahah, but thats me! Get an Ampeg 8x10 and you will get a more focussed rock punch. Then youve got the choice!

Ive sold two items on basschat really well, and got the money I wanted before I put it on. Beware of ebay!

Good luck with getting what you want anyway!

Edited by Musicman20

Cheers for advice! I just don't think the Orange is right for my bands sound. As much as i love it! but i am going off the AD200B's EQ.

AND,

Fender 2009 Jazz, as good as they might be, i just reckon people are after the older stuff? just my thought.

I'm sure that the crunch is one of the reasons why things aren't selling as well as they are, but do you think there may be more movement there if more people were willing to use couriers?

I have been looking at amps recently and have seen some bargains that I would have gone for but they are all pickup only - no post. Of the four Hartke 15s I saw only one was willing to send it.

Edited by bythesea

[quote name='bythesea' post='472917' date='Apr 26 2009, 08:35 PM']I'm sure that the crunch is one of the reasons why things aren't sellig as well as they are, but do you think there may be more movement there if more people were willing to use couriers?

I have been looking at amps recently and have seen some bargains that I would have gone for but they are all pickup only - no post. Of the four Hartke 15s I saw only one was willing to send it.[/quote]
+1.if you live outside the big citys then a courier option is a must.although it has not helped me trying to sell my jazz :)

I've been saying this for months.

This amp was not my first choice. Originally I was gonna bid on another bass amp, but the guy was in London and wouldn't ship, even though I would have happily paid the thirty-odd quid it would have cost. He just wouldn't do it. I got this one because the guy was in Liverpool, and I can get there easily.

I've seen guys lose a hundred or more on bids because of "local pick-up only". I reckon that a fair whack of the gear that goes unsold on eBay would sell if the guys offered postage. There's Ampegs on there that won't go because the guys live in the sticks and they won't post. Personally I'll send whatever as long as I can physically get it into a post office. I can understand when it's like a grand piano or something, but a combo weighing in at all of 60lbs, I don't see why you wouldn't ship it.