Why become a member? ×

Active Jazz(y) Basses

jacq

Hey,

I've been playing my Fender Player Plus Active PJ for I while now (my first bass) and while I enjoy it I'd like to add a Jazz(y) bass as a second instrument.

I could then have my PJ strung with flatwounds.

Now, there is one thing that can make me stop enjoying even the best instrument, that is the noise. Single coil pups are famous for being noisy.

I know that there are ways to minimise it, but I don't want to go that route. I don't want to but something and then spend time modding it or shielding it.

This is why I'd ideally like to buy something with Active Pickups that are noiseless (Fender's "Noiseless" are not truly noiseless). Also, I'd rather aim for sub 4kg instruments.

Also, I didn't mention, I am interested in 4 string basses only.

I've checked what is currently offered online by most of the retailers... and there is not much in £1K (+/- £200) budget.

The closest thing I found (which isn't available anywhere) is Shecter J-4 Exotic with EMGs or Cort GB Modern 4 (with Nordstrands, which I don't thing are active).

Any suggestions, ideas?

PS.

Sire is out of scope. 

Edited by jacq

I’ve had this beauty for a few years now. My only ‘traditional’ single coil pickup bass, & is so white noise free that I’d forgotten noisy pickups were a thing! 😆

Something similar if you could find one, would only be in your stated budget if it were used though. If it helps, the pickups & preamp are both Delano.

71DD98BA-800A-4EF5-BE71-C1830CC85398.jpeg

Edited by Wilco
  • Like 1

I'll be honest - I still struggle to understand the difference between active pickups and active basses.

That aside I read it as you want a high QC active jazz for around a grand - the first name that springs to mind is Sandberg. Have you considered them (I assume they're the wrong kind of active)?

Active pickups vs active preamp:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/active-pickups-vs-active-preamp.554985/

Sire - don't like them (just my personal preference). Had one briefly and the qc wasn't great. It was quite rough actually.

I have considered both Sandberg and Sadowsky, but they are both slightly above my budget. 

6 hours ago, Lw. said:

I'll be honest - I still struggle to understand the difference between active pickups and active basses.

Active pickup; so few windings the output is v low. Consequently it needs a preamp (normally an opamp) built into the pickup to boost the signal to a usable level. Fewer windings = greater bandwidth.

Active preamp; an eq that can boost (passive eq can only cut).

Well, I know you don't want to do much mod'ing but... my fav jazz bass I've owned, a Squier VM, I changed all hardware; pups, bridge, tuners, nut, preamp, and the whole thing came in at around £600. Played better than any USA standard version and I got exactly the setup I wanted. 

So, get a Squier and stick some EMGs in it. 

3 hours ago, jacq said:

Active pickups vs active preamp:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/active-pickups-vs-active-preamp.554985/

Sire - don't like them (just my personal preference). Had one briefly and the qc wasn't great. It was quite rough actually.

I have considered both Sandberg and Sadowsky, but they are both slightly above my budget. 

Same here, had one a couple of years back, felt cheap as fish heads....chips in my chippy start at £2.30

14 hours ago, Boodang said:

Active pickup; so few windings the output is v low. Consequently it needs a preamp (normally an opamp) built into the pickup to boost the signal to a usable level. Fewer windings = greater bandwidth.

Active preamp; an eq that can boost (passive eq can only cut).

Almost spot on, of course there is no reason why a low impedance pickup could not be coupled with an onboard preamp. The problem is most are designed with high impedance, high output pickups in mind. As a result they do not have enough gain for a low impedance, low output pickup.

Going back to Sire, I own an M2. It uses the Marcus Miller preamp and it is very versatile. The downside is the knobs. They feel cheap and they are the same on the more expensive Sire Jazz basses.  Now you have set me off looking for some new knobs…

15 hours ago, velvetkevorkian said:

I think you'll struggle to find much in your price range that has active pickups, rather than an active preamp. A Sadowsky Metro Express (the sub-£700 models) + some aftermarket active EMGs, maybe?

If noise is your main concern why aren't passive humbuckers with an active preamp an option?

Won't sound like a jazz with regular humbuckers.

Stacked hum cancelling ones will though.

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Almost spot on, of course there is no reason why a low impedance pickup could not be coupled with an onboard preamp. The problem is most are designed with high impedance, high output pickups in mind. As a result they do not have enough gain for a low impedance, low output pickup.

Funny enough, EMG quote the impedance of their active pickups as 10K. An opamp would normally have a low impedance output but they've obviously not gone down that route so their pickups can just slot straight into a standard setup, and they have enough oomph for any standard passive or active preamp.

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

Am I missing something.? why not just buy an active jazz bass with dual coils. No hum at all.  I personally prefer a jazz with single coils both on full. Not a bass on the planet has that much character, and no hum.

I agree, dual coils don't quite sound as good as single coils. I've fitted my jazz with a series/parallel switch for the best of both worlds.