Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker=Harley Davidson. Discuss.

mowf

I used to hanker after a Ric' in my prog days. Whenever I've tried one, I've always felt the string spacing tight. They definitely feel to me to be a pick player's instrument. They do some things very well and you can't argue with the looks. It's a classic design that just works visually. Being a confirmed fan of the big F, they're not for me, but to each his own.

On 20/01/2023 at 23:42, mowf said:

I bought a brand new 4003w. I had to take it apart to shave a bit off the foam mute; a couple of the screws are showing signs of corrosion; the printing is wearing off the jack sockets. I have never gigged this bass… so you’re probably right, but the point I’m trying to make is that the Ricky is basically rubbish and overpriced but still loved.

I bought a brand new 4003W a few years back (online, from GAK IIRC); it was also very poor in terms of QC. I'd had a 4001 decades before as my first 'proper' bass, and I loved it then. This was, in the cold hard light of day, QC-poor for a £400 bass, let along the £1600 I'd just paid. For that sort of money I wasn't willing to complete the jobs which the factory should have done. It went back the next day, and for the same money I got a luthier-built bass that was perfect.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Every single mass produced vehicle has loads of Chinese made parts and these days Chinese manufacturing is perfectly decent. Nothing wrong with Indian built bikes, the latest Royal Enfields are competing with the very best. I've got a Triumph at the moment but if I was buying new now I'd have the Royal Enfield Interceptor over a new Triumph Bonneville 

Well the Indian factory came out number one for oil and engine cleanliness in a recent test. The Chinese made engines had all sorts of crap inside including swarf and bits of cloth. 
BMW had to issue a service note due to spokes coming loose on their GS wheels and gave out a lot of replacement wheels under warranty. It was down to the spoke lock nuts not being correctly torqued up at the Chinese factory. 
Both my Triumphs had numerous recalls and I had to fix the wiring looms on both. 
I would now buy BSA or RE as you say over triumph. 

7 minutes ago, DTB said:

Well the Indian factory came out number one for oil and engine cleanliness in a recent test. The Chinese made engines had all sorts of crap inside including swarf and bits of cloth. 
BMW had to issue a service note due to spokes coming loose on their GS wheels and gave out a lot of replacement wheels under warranty. It was down to the spoke lock nuts not being correctly torqued up at the Chinese factory. 
Both my Triumphs had numerous recalls and I had to fix the wiring looms on both. 
I would now buy BSA or RE as you say over triumph. 

When I worked in automotive engineering we used a lot of Chinese made parts and as long as you keep on top of the QC they're fine. Give them an occasional non conformance note so they know its being checked and the quality is spot on but let it start to slip a bit and you get problems. I guess BMW and Harley didn't keep on top of their QC checks.

Let's be honest, faulty wiring is part of the Triumph character. It brings back memories of British made Lucas wiring. 

There was a bloke on TV a while back with a Lancia and when asked whether everything worked he said If everything worked then it would be an Audi and I don't want an Audi.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

KTM, all day long.

I gave up biking five years ago, still miss it, and I'd buy another LC640 tomorrow if I could think of the slightest justification for doing so.

I used to love my Buell but it had more recalls than ALL the other vehicles I've ever owned, put together. It was the last S1 Lightning sold in the UK, so the last of the all-Buell bikes before Harley bought back 100% control of the company.

I always associated British bikes with the unreliable oil-spreaders of the 60s, I much preferred Hondas for many years.

And then I discovered KTM.

Smirnoff.thumb.jpg.1e80adb536256d804bbc23d91e8323e6.jpg

5 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I always associated British bikes with the unreliable oil-spreaders of the 60s.....

.....as the T shirt slogan goes; they’re not leaking oil, just marking their territory.....😉

Growing up in the glory days of the British rockers on their Truimphs, Norton’s, and BSA’s, that was always true biking for me - I’ve owned all of those (also Hondas, BMW’s and MZ’s) and for the last 30 years it’s been the same bike, a ‘72 Norton Commando 750 Roadster.    Coincidentally my Ric 4001 is also a 1972!    I guess both are beautiful, functional, but ultimately design dead ends (the Norton 850 was about the limit that the parallel twin engine format could be pushed to).

My dream bike would indeed be a big V twin, but it would have “Vincent” on the tank, not “Harley Davidson”. 🏍

2 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

My dream bike would indeed be a big V twin, but it would have “Vincent” on the tank, not “Harley Davidson”. 🏍

And that's EXACTLY why I bought a Buell S1 Lightning. It was simply the closest thing in existence in 1996 to a Black Shadow.

• Like 1

Do we have time for an anecdote..? We do..? OK, then, a story from my apprentice days...

A young colleague at the time was Mick Greenfield. He was a BEA Mechanics apprentice (I was Avionics...), and, during our training at Heathrow, he had access to some sophisticated machine shop equipment. He made good use of it, re-building a Vincent that he had rescued from goodness knows where. The bike was stripped, and all its mechanics overhauled, restored and made as good (or better...) than new, this over a period of over a year. At last came the Great Day; time to see if the now-complete bike would run. Mick was not really small, but rather slightly built, so, when he primed the carbs, switched on and went to kick it over, he jumped onto the kick, which budged not one bit. Everyone watching had a go, but even heavyweight George couldn't shift it. What to do..? Someone (I forget who...) had the idea of trying a running start, attaching the frame with a chain to the rear bumper of a Land Rover. Mick sat on the saddle as the Landie pulled away, and once a little speed had been built up along the airport car park, he let out the clutch. The Vincent stopped dead, and the rear bumper of the Landie was pulled clean off with a loud 'Clang'.
He had to dismantle the barrels and re-bore with slightly more tolerance than the factory spec, and put it back together with lots of oil, to enable the pistons to move. It ran eventually, but it was always a sight to see Mick leap high into the air to kick it into life. All of this, of course, well before the invention of electric start; that would be cheating..! Happy daze..! :drinks:

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

One of the best bikes I ever rode, and the M2 Cyclone, especially on twisties... Though I tested it against a Guzzi V10 Centauro with the Dr John motor which was a little less flick-ey but far more stable!

I remember the Centauro. The ugliest motorcycle ever to come out of Italy and the reviews were pretty terrible at the time