Why become a member? ×

The Aluminium/Aluminum Double Bass **Mega Thread** :)

Beedster

On 11/04/2023 at 22:11, Burns-bass said:

It really does command some respect, and the audience loves it.

Weather proof too.  Couldn't take any of my basses out busking in England!

Mind you, I did see a lady spill a whole pint of cider into her acoustic guitar once, so even pubs aren't safe.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, NickA said:

Weather proof too.  Couldn't take any of my basses out busking in England!

Mind you, I did see a lady spill a whole pint of cider into her acoustic guitar once, so even pubs aren't safe.

Use a gazebo! 

Technically this isn’t busking; we’re being paid by the pub to play in their outdoor space. But there is a bucket so I guess it probably is…

It’s just a bit of fun really. What’s slightly unnerving is that almost everyone videos you. Why, I have no idea… 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

Use a gazebo! 

Technically this isn’t busking; we’re being paid by the pub to play in their outdoor space. But there is a bucket so I guess it probably is…

It’s just a bit of fun really. What’s slightly unnerving is that almost everyone videos you. Why, I have no idea… 

It's to ready you for being on TV.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bit of an update, I’ve gigged another 5 or so times and getting used to the instrument. (Currently paid back £400 of the initial outlay!)

Yesterday I did a 3 hour session outdoors in the sun and the bass did indeed get hot. Thankfully not in the full glare of the sun as I reckon the reflection would blind someone.

The bass really doesn’t sound like a full acoustic double bass, and the feedback can be a killer (unless you use a magnetic pickup) but the looks make up for it. As someone who prefers to blend into the background, you really can’t with an aluminium bass. People absolutely love it. 

But the weight makes moving it a bit of an annoyance. 

Finally, I may get a new fingerboard put on next year as the one I have had the bevel and I don’t like it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Bit of an update, I’ve gigged another 5 or so times and getting used to the instrument. (Currently paid back £400 of the initial outlay!)

Yesterday I did a 3 hour session outdoors in the sun and the bass did indeed get hot. Thankfully not in the full glare of the sun as I reckon the reflection would blind someone.

The bass really doesn’t sound like a full acoustic double bass, and the feedback can be a killer (unless you use a magnetic pickup) but the looks make up for it. As someone who prefers to blend into the background, you really can’t with an aluminium bass. People absolutely love it. 

But the weight makes moving it a bit of an annoyance. 

Finally, I may get a new fingerboard put on next year as the one I have had the bevel and I don’t like it.

They have a similar effect on an audience as does driving down the street in a 50’s Chevvy on a bunch of pedestrians. takes people back to a different time and place, which given that’s often why the audience is watching the genres in question in the first place, it just adds to the feeling ❤️

19 minutes ago, Beedster said:

They have a similar effect on an audience as does driving down the street in a 50’s Chevvy on a bunch of pedestrians. takes people back to a different time and place, which given that’s often why the audience is watching the genres in question in the first place, it just adds to the feeling ❤️

That’s a lovely way to put it.

Our audience was an eclectic mix of kids, tourists, older people and drunks.

A few kids came up and asked me about the bass which was really nice to see.

It’s perhaps the best investment I’ve made in gear for years

• Like 1

Just now, Burns-bass said:

I was a bit worried initially but it’s changed how I play and opened up huge opportunities.

Music is an aesthetic and increasingly the visual and audio components of that aesthetic diverge; modelling instruments, convenience instruments (e.g., EUBs), real time audio correction etc all take away so much authenticity. A nice big Ali bass puts a whole load of it back in the mix, metaphorically and literally 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

Music is an aesthetic and increasingly the visual and audio components of that aesthetic diverge; modelling instruments, convenience instruments (e.g., EUBs), real time audio correction etc all take away so much authenticity. A nice big Ali bass puts a whole load of it back in the mix, metaphorically and literally 👍

So true.

People listen to live music with their ears and their eyes so instruments, staging, band members appearance and antics and other visuals are all part of the "music" for the average audience members, musicians in the crowd will usually see and hear something quite different.

I use my EUB for rehearsals but almost always play DB at gigs, it is an attention getter and just looks better, especially, at the jazz or bluegrass gigs that I play.

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Happens to me all the time. By far the most frequently-asked question is, "Is that a cello?".

I had to carry mine across Bristol bridge (very busy!) and I only got one idiotic commment. I view that as a good result 

• Like 2

On 22/01/2023 at 21:05, Burns-bass said:

Have you seen the picture of Sting with his? 

Looks like a beauty and given all the work done by the Martin team I’m pretty sure it’s incredibly playable too.

Mr Sting with his

image.jpeg.9616da2bdf2696a84c75fe045833178d.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2023 at 18:09, Burns-bass said:

I had to carry mine across Bristol bridge (very busy!) and I only got one idiotic commment. I view that as a good result 

That is good. I carried mine down King Street on a Friday night and was ready to lamp the next person who said 'ere, thats a gurt big violin mate'