Why become a member? ×

Pimp Yo' Bass

Stub Mandrel

I swapped the neck from my Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass to the body of my GSRM20B Mikro Bass, pulled out the stock pickups, and installed just a single EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, filling out the empty bridge J pickup cavity with a folded piece of black cardboard, removed the barrel type side mounted output jack socket, installing a regular front mounted jack socket in one of the redundant pot holes instead, and added some transparent and black lampshade knobs to the 2 remaining pots for shows, though I later cut out pieces of green electrical tape to size and stuck it to the top of those knobs, the pickup top getting red electrical tape applied, as well as I applied some small Sherman Filterbank 2 stickers to the headstock, and a Jack Skellington skull sticker to the upper left (right I guess from the perspective of the bass) corner of the bass body :

image.thumb.png.63a9d48dbba07f970576c223c73c23f1.png

I do ponder on swapping out the stock bridge for 4 milled out solid brass mono rail bridge pieces as well, maybe in the same instance narrow in the string spacing slightly, from the current standard 19mm, to perhaps 17.5mm.

The name is "Bottomfeeder", by the way, "Dud Bottomfeeder", secret agent 666.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

When we started the project I said to @Andyjr1515 that I wanted a 22nd Century design in the 21st Century.

I think we got close.

It was when @TheGreek told me he also wanted the cross-section to be like the cross section of a contact-lens that I thought 'WTfffffff?????'

I think we got close on that too.   :D

And it was an inspirational request from @TheGreek  ...

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Took a standard Squier CV 70s bass, changed the scratch plate to plain black (ie no white middle), changed the control plate to black with black screws all round. Added a black bridge, black strap locks and changed the pickups to Augilia. Finally changed the knobs to more modern ones. 

I've also taken off the gloss finish on the body, plus I sanded back the neck and oiled with burnt linseed oil. 

20230108_101438.thumb.jpg.93dded7339bf63002f1305df68ad82b5.jpg

• Like 6

But back to @Stub Mandrel's topic. 

The first bass I bought myself was this lovely red Ibanez I bought for a song from a guy in Gloucester:

qLg4IFdl.jpg

And my first pimp-yer-bass attempt was on this one and was also my first attempt at veneering.  Admittedly, beginners' luck! 

fvrXP1Fl.jpg

And it was this that led to me having a go at all the other stuff  :)

As a post-script, I eventually sold this to a Nepalese Buddhist who played in a Heavy Metal band in Luton and who was 'spiritually drawn' to the bass.  A niche market, admittedly xD

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 16

More a functional pimp rather than anything cosmetic. Changed the original string through only late 90s Fender bridge to a 2010 Fender Deluxe P-Bass version. Same base plate size so no real change to the visual aspect except that I can top load strings which is my preffered way to fit flats.

IMG_1652.thumb.jpeg.5374685aeeb94ec2aa88fc250eef7b4a.jpeg

and...purely cosmetic scratchplate change from white to black on my DeeDee project Precision bass.

IMG_1664.thumb.jpeg.59bc1f81ac6a5fd9f243ac4075cf9335.jpeg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Just need black machine heads and a set of tapewounds...

Any excuse to spend money on yourself...

Yes, i have a set of black ones on another bitsa, but these are genuine fenders so kinda wanted to keep them on. But you're right, the black ones would look good. 

• Like 1