Why become a member? ×

Comparison clips of my ol' Fenders

wateroftyne

Hi all

I've been recording clips of my fretless basses ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46215"]see the Franklin / '71 comparison thread[/url]), so I thought I'd record the fretted ones, too. It might be useful to someone somewhere...

Hit the HQ button if you can...

'71 Rosewood w/flats:

'73 Maple w/rounds:

'71 Fretless w/flats (factory rosewood)

'71 Fretless w/flats (replacement ebony):

Tony Franklin Fretless w/flats (going though each pickup combo):

I love 'em all... :)

Edited by wateroftyne

Absolutely fantastic clips!!!! If I were looking to purchase a bass, this is exactly the kinda comparisons I'd like to see and hear! - I can really see the merits of BassChat having these kinda videos available in some kind of review section. WoT, thank you for recording them.. I love the Maple 73.. Sounds lovely mate!

[quote]...and he makes it look so effortless.[/quote]
If only could see the concentration eblazoned across my face...!

[quote]Actually what brand/gauge flats have you got on there? Might try a set on my Stingray.[/quote]
La Bella Deep Talkin' FL760s. Anyone who says flats are muddy and indistinct... is wrong. :)

[quote]Hey wateroftyne - imagine if you didn't like sunburst Precisions with red tort pickguards.[/quote]
I've people mention that there are other types of basses in existence. I don't believe them...

Hmm, using my absolutley rubbish lcd monitor's speakers, which are truly crap, I can see why some people state that joe public can't really tell how your bass sounds unless it's running effects or strongly eq'd to certain style.

I could only hear very slight differences between the basses apart from the difference between the maple and rosewood fretted, with the maple having much snappier highs, but even then, I only noticed because I know what I'm looking for and listening to.

But, I'll stress I'm using rubbish speakers.

[quote]Cheers. I can only find them at Thomann, where do you get yours?[/quote]

[url="http://www.stringbusters.co.uk"]Stringbusters![/url]

[quote]I could only hear very slight differences between the basses apart from the difference between the maple and rosewood fretted, with the maple having much snappier highs, but even then, I only noticed because I know what I'm looking for and listening to.[/quote]

It's all happening waaaaay under the response of your speakers. Trust me. :)

[quote name='stinson' post='472395' date='Apr 25 2009, 09:40 PM']Nice job, thanks. Which p has the Thumpers? Im considering getting a set[/quote]

Cheers!

At the moment, the '71 fretless.. you should be able to hear the massive difference in output between clip #3, and clips #1 & #2 which were all recorded with the same gains & EQ. I'm tickling the fretless compared the the fretted, too. Huge output on those pups.

Before that, it lived in the '73 for a long time and it sounded mint...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='472392' date='Apr 25 2009, 09:34 PM']It's all happening waaaaay under the response of your speakers. Trust me. :rolleyes:[/quote]

As sarky as that may be, you actually have no idea just how bad these speakers are :)

Clarity is a loose term when it comes to these little dinky 2" diameter thingies, let alone bass response, couple it with youtube and I might as well be listening to bassless bands all the time for all the bass I hear from them.

[quote name='Buzz' post='472405' date='Apr 25 2009, 10:10 PM']As sarky as that may be, you actually have no idea just how bad these speakers are :)

Clarity is a loose term when it comes to these little dinky 2" diameter thingies, let alone bass response, couple it with youtube and I might as well be listening to bassless bands all the time for all the bass I hear from them.[/quote]

It wasn't intended to be sarky, honest.. just truthful. It's like listening to it on the telephone. You get an approximation, but.. that's all.

[quote]I really like the rosewood fretless, so, am I correct in thinking, the rosewood board has been replaced, or is it another bass?[/quote]
It's still alive and well! I just swapped the neck for and ebony one for the purpose of this test.