Why become a member? ×

51/68 Tele Bass Parts Build - Gold Paisley

Dolando

Hello all, 

I’ve been itching for a gold paisley something for ages, and recently I’ve been wanting a 51/68 style Tele Bass. So I thought I’d stick those two ideas together! 💡

I’ve done 3 parts builds that I’ve sprayed myself, and 10 scratch builds. As well as copious amounts of spray work for neck breaks etc. So going all out doing some stuff I’ve not done before on this. Never down paisley, and never done any bursts, so should be interesting. 

This will be a fairly long on going project but thought I’d start a thread as I’ve been buying some bits.

I got this body in Black Friday deal so this is the start. The neck and some other bits are on their way from Allparts. 

C3007D16-B53A-4FA6-9BF1-0966E4DC04DD.thumb.jpeg.8a600ef237000016bbb62a3952ff3a9e.jpeg

So if your a tele/precision bass, or a paisley fan then watch this space. 👍

Edited by Dolando
  • Like 12

Oh my!!!

I’ve always wanted a paisley Jazz - missed out when they did them a couple of years ago…

Stupidly passed up a pink paisley 54 MIJ which was less than cost in a sale when I worked in a shop which I’ve never forgiven myself for…

Ah well - I’ll live vicariously through this thread 😂

Have you sourced the foil backed paper for the pattern or are you doing something different?

exciting…

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Oh my!!!

I’ve always wanted a paisley Jazz - missed out when they did them a couple of years ago…

Stupidly passed up a pink paisley 54 MIJ which was less than cost in a sale when I worked in a shop which I’ve never forgiven myself for…

Ah well - I’ll live vicariously through this thread 😂

Have you sourced the foil backed paper for the pattern or are you doing something different?

exciting…

Thank you. Yea they look great! I’ve always fancied a gold paisley which you don’t often/ever see, so decided to put my own together. 

You can buy the paper from Rothko and Frost. It’s as close as you can get to the real stuff and they do all kinds of colours. I’m going for pink on gold pearl backing to match the gold burst. 

Neck should be arriving tomorrow. 👍

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dolando said:

Hello all, 

I’ve been itching for a gold paisley something for ages, and recently I’ve been wanting a 51/68 style Tele Bass. So I thought I’d stick those two ideas together! 💡

So if your a tele/precision bass, or a paisley fan then watch this space. 

Oh my, I'm both!! Watching this thread with great interest (not to mention some envy).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dolando said:

Me too! 😂 It’s coming from Allparts. Used them before and they are great necks and their qc is usually pretty good so I’m hopeful. 

So ive been looking ito this. Im VERY interested to see how the body and neck fit.

That guitarbuild body is good? Im so close to ordering one.

Ive also been eyeing an AllParts neck to go with it, BUT i noticed that allparts necks are 2 7/16 and the quitarbuild bodies neck pockets are 2.5 

Had you considered this when ordering? Does guitarbuild offer a neck pocket in that size?

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Dolando said:

Either clear or maybe even 1 ply parchment…

Paisley Tele basses are gorgeous things though I'd go further, all Tele type basses are gorgeous things 😀

You can get those PGs on eBay.

I handed the scratchplate from my MIJ Paisley to Brian Pillans in Glasgow, so he could make up a temple and add another option to his range.

I'm not seeing them listed ATM but he definitely makes them, I gave his details to Blue Flower owner in the US; 10 days later the boy had photos on Talk Bass.

1444732800_TeleBasses.thumb.JPG.9140f65bf06df2b0d1c5059023da1a0c.JPG

Link to Brian's shop.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/earlpilanz#tab1

• Like 5

This looks like a fantastic project, I'll be cheering on from the sidelines

I am in the early, slow! stages of something similar myself, I saw this bloke from Big D guitars do on Youtube. 

He uses brocade which has a silver or gold metallic looking thread to give the paisley pattern, I'm going for a darkish blue and silver on a 5 string P or PJ

image.png.e7435056ee00c19c9227f2aef3131507.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lidl e said:

So ive been looking ito this. Im VERY interested to see how the body and neck fit.

That guitarbuild body is good? Im so close to ordering one.

Ive also been eyeing an AllParts neck to go with it, BUT i noticed that allparts necks are 2 7/16 and the quitarbuild bodies neck pockets are 2.5 

Had you considered this when ordering? Does guitarbuild offer a neck pocket in that size?

I’ve just got out the neck (pics to follow). And the neck is slightly too big, I’m talking fractions, it could be forced in it’s that close, but could cause some damage. So a little sanding and it should be perfect. 

It’s a great body. 3rd one I’ve got from them. I know guitar build offer two sizes on their 51/54 bodies. They offer original 50s size (62.8mm) and reissue size (63.5). Reissue is bigger than original, so might be worth looking at that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

Paisley Tele basses are gorgeous things though I'd go further, all Tele type basses are gorgeous things 😀

You can get those PGs on eBay.

I handed the scratchplate from my MIJ Paisley to Brian Pillans in Glasgow, so he could make up a temple and add another option to his range.

I'm not seeing them listed ATM but he definitely makes them, I gave his details to Blue Flower owner in the US; 10 days later the boy had photos on Talk Bass.

1444732800_TeleBasses.thumb.JPG.9140f65bf06df2b0d1c5059023da1a0c.JPG

Link to Brian's shop.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/earlpilanz#tab1

Thank you, but I’m happy to make my own. I used to work for Jacks Instruments/Tiny Tone and we made guards, so I have access to loads of pickguard templates, then will just route it myself. Really appreciate the offer though. 👍

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dolando said:

I’ve just got out the neck (pics to follow). And the neck is slightly too big, I’m talking fractions, it could be forced in it’s that close, but could cause some damage. So a little sanding and it should be perfect. 

It’s a great body. 3rd one I’ve got from them. I know guitar build offer two sizes on their 51/54 bodies. They offer original 50s size (62.8mm) and reissue size (63.5). Reissue is bigger than original, so might be worth looking at that. 

Interesting that the neck is too big! Was this a stock guitarbuild body? Did you specify neck pocket size?

I found a perfect allparts neck, but im worried about the gap 

Interesting about the reissue size!

Edited by lidl e

25 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Interesting that the neck is too big! Was this a stock guitarbuild body? Did you specify neck pocket size?

I found a perfect allparts neck, but im worried about the gap 

Interesting about the reissue size!

No I got the standard 50’s neck width. I’ll measure the neck when I get a chance and see what it is, but I did expect it to be slightly too small/just about right. Are you looking at the tele bass neck? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dolando said:

No I got the standard 50’s neck width. I’ll measure the neck when I get a chance and see what it is, but I did expect it to be slightly too small/just about right. Are you looking at the tele bass neck? 

I cannot tell you how many builders ive looked st for this neck! I even started a thread in the lefties forum if anyone wanted to swap a neck!

I think ive narrowed neck down to three options. I am almost 100% going with a guitarbuild body

This neck, but im worried with the 2 7/16" it wint work with body pocket

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/134084779157?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=26&ch=osgood&euid=137d545c942745f0bcb2f30e479527c0&bu=45533613135&osub=-1~1&crd=20230110072745&segname=11051

Or do i order a custom neck from guitarbuild. It will be quite a bit more expensive AND id have to pay for the headstock to be shaped. But at least i lnow it would be a perfect for with body.

Last option is to just buy a fender player precision left handed neck. I dont really want a MiM neck and there is no guarantee it dits bass body from GB.

Lol, sorry to hijack your thread. This has been driving me crazy and i know no one else who has used a guitarbuild body!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dolando said:

Neck heel width is 63.3 as it turns out, so needs a little sanding to make it fit, or I may route the body a touch bigger…

95C1BF81-8CAC-4CF7-B906-C5023A1B5C4C.thumb.jpeg.c3e334ac533de321ed7808c29d51320d.jpeg

B9F94714-1826-4B86-940D-73CF085309DE.thumb.jpeg.94b888618e2f337ed2a915e996a3ab14.jpeg

Lots of parts, but not allparts 😂🤣

9026C5F5-A379-423D-BD2C-AB6B7264113A.thumb.jpeg.ac7d23337d31f5b14a5865239dc47220.jpeg

so cool.

i hope you're using a killer pickup!