Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it possible in near future ?

nilorius

21 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Would you not consider an Ibanez? You seem fond of the Willis bass. Ibanez have over 30 years of expertise in building 6 strings and the Japanese stuff is always toq quality.

I don't want 6 string, just wanted to know the other opinions about Fender and 6 string.

On the face of it, anything that Fender make which isn't badged Precision, Jazz, Mustang or Jaguar tends to disappear after a year or two; they seem unwilling to play the long game with anything that falls outside these models and hey, it's easier to simply rebadge your existing models as Original/Ultra/US/Player Plus and slap new colurs on them rather than come up with something new, so I wouldn't hold your breath for a six string.

I was just having a look online at their discontinued bass models.  The Dimension.  Coronado.  Bronco.  Performer.  Urge.  Zone.  Bass V.  Bass VI.  Prophecy.  Starcaster.  Telecaster.

• Like 3

It doesn't really seem to fit their business model of making lots of very slightly different versions of the same models they've made for 60 years. It's a model that seems to work very well for them. 

If they made a 6 string it would probably only be a £6000 custom shop job

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

It doesn't really seem to fit their business model of making lots of very slightly different versions of the same models they've made for 60 years. It's a model that seems to work very well for them. 

If they made a 6 string it would probably only be a £6000 custom shop job

This.

It's just not on brand. They would have done it by now if they wanted to.

If FMIC decide to do one then I would expect it to be under the Charvel or Jackson brands instead. They take more risks with designs there.

But even then, 6 string basses must only be a tiny percentage of total bass sales. Might not even be worth tooling up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

This.

It's just not on brand. They would have done it by now if they wanted to.

If FMIC decide to do one then I would expect it to be under the Charvel or Jackson brands instead. They take more risks with designs there.

But even then, 6 string basses must only be a tiny percentage of total bass sales. Might not even be worth tooling up.

I can't imagine Jackson or Charvel making a 6 string either. Their customers are generally rock and metal players rather than jazz or gospel. 

31 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

There's a lot of Dingwall 6 strings out there and most of them are the metal guys.

Some are tuning F#BEADG though.

There's very few metal bands using a 6 string basses. Dingwall aren't just a metal brand, they're just very good at it

Barring the Bass V, Fender were quite late to the 5 string game, I think their first 'low B' 5 string was early 90s?

I'm not sure they've ever really caught up, although I know their Jazz and P fivers have their fans.

I can't see them doing a B to C six in the neat future.

Edited by Cato

6 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Look at what happened last time they tried... it's like two basses accidentally got into the pod from The Fly and this came out the other end.

1JM6VRCIRqCI3K4wAD3U_wd1srSgzF9MHAsG5_vikvo.jpg

Fender Boss to Fender Design Dept: "Let's have us a six string bass!"

FDD: "That's gonna look like a cartoon next to the rest of our stuff".

FB: "Do your best work".

FDD: "Okay, you da Boss".

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Look at what happened last time they tried... it's like two basses accidentally got into the pod from The Fly and this came out the other end.

1JM6VRCIRqCI3K4wAD3U_wd1srSgzF9MHAsG5_vikvo.jpg

Wasn't that designed by Tye Zamora and not by Fender?

If so, then all Fender did was build it so I don't think their design team can be blamed!