Why become a member? ×

DHL failed delivery

bassist_lewis

I ordered £100 worth of SIS cables that were couriered by DHL. They never turned up, but I received an email saying they had been delivered to *my surname* (they had not). I checked with my neighbour who coincidentally shares my surname, but he didn't have it. I asked my other neighbours, the same story. I've contacted the seller and they've told to contact DHL.

Now I've done some reading and Citizen's Advice says if I didn't agree to my parcel being delivered to alternative location it's the seller's responsibility to make sure it get's delivered, and would be liable for a refund if DHL fails to deliver it. However, the caveat is that if I agreed to the T&Cs, then they are not liable. Here's my question: by buying from the seller, have I agreed to DHL's T&Cs? Which, by the way, are essentially that DHL can do and say whatever they want and you can't do anything about it.

DHL won't talk to you seriously as you didn't order their services, it is up to the parcel sender to deal with DHL, if they booked delivery through a 3rd party like parcel2go then they have to raise the issue with them and they deal with DHL.

But it is a nightmare getting any sort of service from any courier company now, customer service is just script based, the parcel was delivered, noone takes any responsibilty and lying to the customer is acceptable practice for all of them now it seems.

You could just threaten the parts vendor with a small claim and see if that stirs them at all

• Like 2

How did you pay for the goods? If on a debit or credit card contact your card issuer and ask them to instigate a chargeback for goods not received. I know there’s the frustration of a previously good seller letting you down, but it’s not for you to chase this with the courier, and I wouldn’t persevere with that anyway personally, as it’s likely to result in much success IME.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

How did you pay for the goods? If on a debit or credit card contact your card issuer and ask them to instigate a chargeback for goods not received. I know there’s the frustration of a previously good seller letting you down, but it’s not for you to chase this with the courier, and I wouldn’t persevere with that anyway personally, as it’s likely to result in much success IME.

via PayPal

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

I'm frustrated because it's a seller I have used for a few years with no issues, and I like what they do. Its a disappointment they aren't being more helpful.

Theyll soon change their attitude when they realise if they do nothing theyll soon lose both the item and the money you paid them. Then theyll have to do something.

• Like 4

When were they supposedly delivered? 

If today then they might well show up tomorrow. I've had this and they mark it delivered due to targets/bonuses/penalties/paperworl, I don't exactly know why but it happens. 

Hopefully they'll show up. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Maude said:

If today then they might well show up tomorrow. I've had this and they mark it delivered due to targets/bonuses/penalties/paperworl, I don't exactly know why but it happens. 

I got the 'its been delivered' email on the 23rd of December

1 hour ago, bassist_lewis said:

I got the 'its been delivered' email on the 23rd of December

What a PITA!

What proof can they provide ( Say a copy of a signature or a photograph taken) to substantiate their delivery claim?

S'manth x

I had a similar experience the other day. Got an email from DHL informing me my parcel had been delivered to "my surname". Nobody had knocked on my door, rung my bell, etc. Opened the front door to find said parcel on the doorstep, soaking wet and in full view of the road. My front path is only a few yards long.

Fortunately:

1. It had been well wrapped in plastic by the seller. it was an electronic item and would not have taken kindly to getting wet.

2. I live in a cul de sac and have nice neighbours who would not nick something off my doorstep. I have no doubt it would have disappeared in short order at my previous address in London.

The delivery person had obviously falsified the delivery report and claimed to have delivered it to me personally. Most of these courier/delivery companies are a joke. My local Evri delivery woman is an honourable exception.

Don’t delivery companies tend to take a photograph as proof nowadays?

My wife lost (though it was replaced in the end) £300 worth of craft soaps after it was delivered, but hidden under a hedge behind our wheelie bin. It was there for two or three weeks before we found it. They had been very, very wet weeks.

Maybe see if you can find out if a photo was taken. And maybe have a scout ‘round (perhaps he can have a look for the parcel and earn himself a badge…).

• Like 1

A girl at work bought something online, and had it delivered to her Mums house.

Sunday 19:10 she gets an e-mail saying it was delivered, with a photo of it propped up against the bushes (which she thought was a bit strange as her parents were in). 

She rang her Mum so she could bring it inside. Said Mum went outside, it wasn`t there, so she rang her daughter to say so. The daughter said it was definitely there the photo clearly showed it.

The Mum looked at the CCTV and indeed at 19:10 the driver placed it against the bushes and took the photo proving delivery.

The CCTV also showed that at 19:15 the driver returned to the parcel, picked it up and walked off with it.

Moral of story, don`t accept photos as proof that an item has been delivered, this is a scam we`re hearing more of.

• Thanks 1

Apart from Royal Mail and Parcel Force, none of the other couriers are covered by any form of regulatory oversight. I had an outrageous experience with DPD over the last few weeks - I won't bore you here about it. I have written to my MP asking that courier companies are subjected to a review by the competitions authority as I believe we have a complex monopoly in operation to the detriment of customers, business that use them, as well as the zero hours contracts in use. They should be brought under the same rules as govern RM/PF or they have an unfair advantage in the market place, especially as they are not obliged to provide a universal service.  

7 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Sunday 19:10 she gets an e-mail saying it was delivered, with a photo of it propped up against the bushes (which she thought was a bit strange as her parents were in). 

She rang her Mum so she could bring it inside. Said Mum went outside, it wasn`t there, so she rang her daughter to say so. The daughter said it was definitely there the photo clearly showed it.

The Mum looked at the CCTV and indeed at 19:10 the driver placed it against the bushes and took the photo proving delivery.

The CCTV also showed that at 19:15 the driver returned to the parcel, picked it up and walked off with it.

Moral of story, don`t accept photos as proof that an item has been delivered, this is a scam we`re hearing more of.

Similar story with our eldest sons Christmas present (£200 car part), DHL delivered it while my Dragon was hovering so she didn't hear him. When she got the delivered message she went out to the door & it had gone. They supplied a photo of the box on the doorstep. Unfortunately the ring camera was flat so didn't catch who took it but the company we purchased from we're great. They sent a replacement & DHL claims forms.

I've since told the driver nothing gets left on the doorstep & we don't have a safe place.

8 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

This happened to me, but with a delivery for my neighbours that I knew nothing about.

They were convinced the driver delivered it to my house as he put it on a card that he had. They checked their CCTV and it showed him going up my drive to my front door, but he disappeared from view due to the angle of the camera as he got closer to the door.

There was no knock and no parcel left. So I've no idea what he did.

However, the neighbour was convinced he delivered it to me (definitely didnt) and we now dont speak. Ive made it clear to them in future if anyone (genuinely) knocks on my door with a parcel for them I will tell them to fook off, so they know where they stand.

It's bad enough if you dont have a parcel you've ordered delivered, but to be accused of taking a parcel you knew nothing about is even worse! 

Hope you manage to get sorted.

Edited by la bam
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Smanth said:

What a PITA!

What proof can they provide ( Say a copy of a signature or a photograph taken) to substantiate their delivery claim?

S'manth x

I've escalated it via PayPal and the seller have now raised a complaint with DHL. In my claim I've explained that I wasn't given any proof of delivery (signature or photographs), so there's nothing to prove it was delivered other than the driver clicking a button.

11 hours ago, KingBollock said:

Don’t delivery companies tend to take a photograph as proof nowadays?

My wife lost (though it was replaced in the end) £300 worth of craft soaps after it was delivered, but hidden under a hedge behind our wheelie bin. It was there for two or three weeks before we found it. They had been very, very wet weeks.

Maybe see if you can find out if a photo was taken. And maybe have a scout ‘round (perhaps he can have a look for the parcel and earn himself a badge…).

I live directly on the street (a small lane off a main road to be precise) with no plant life, so there aren't many places to hide it. If it was left on my doorstep it would be in full view of anyone walking past, a problem in itself.

I had a DHL delivery today, arrived fine..

But.. the snag being I had very particularly specified delivery for tomorrow (Thurs) and paid extra for the 'privilege' as I was out all day today.. . Luckily by sheer chance someone was in at home to take delivery, otherwise it'd be "in the wind" & gawd knows what would've befallen it.. 

16 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

I live directly on the street (a small lane off a main road to be precise) with no plant life, so there aren't many places to hide it. If it was left on my doorstep it would be in full view of anyone walking past, a problem in itself.

When we first moved to Wales we briefly lived in a house that stepped right out onto the pavement of a busy road. I remember once watching a parcel can pull up, watched the driver fill out the “tried to deliver but not in” card, jump out and push the card through the door. No knock, nothing. I opened the door as he went to turn away. He looked suitably guilty, and without a single word, he went and got my parcel.

I can’t imagine what would have happened to anything left outside the door there, it would have literally been on the pavement. With some of the kids that lived around there, a parcel wouldn’t have lasted two minutes. 

On 03/01/2023 at 21:18, Maude said:

I've had this from DHL just a few months ago. It showed as delivered on their tracking, but actually arrived a couple of days later.