Why become a member? ×

2023 Gear Abstinence Thread

jimmyb625

I have the opposite challenge for this year. I actively want to buy another bass, but don't quite know what.

The two I have are more than adequate, so it's a case of what do I fancy that's cheap, offers something different, and will be easy to move on. There are a couple of inexpensive 5 string fretless in the marketplace, but fretless would require serious commitment. There are a couple of acoustic 5s as well.

Or sod it and get a tenor uke with rubber band strings. No idea, but 11 months still to go.

35 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Or sod it and get a tenor uke with rubber band strings.

Tenor ukes tend to use normal uke strings, bass ukes are the ones with the polysynthsomething strings.

S’manth x

Edited by Smanth
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Richard R said:

I have the opposite challenge for this year. I actively want to buy another bass, but don't quite know what.

The two I have are more than adequate, so it's a case of what do I fancy that's cheap, offers something different, and will be easy to move on. There are a couple of inexpensive 5 string fretless in the marketplace, but fretless would require serious commitment. There are a couple of acoustic 5s as well.

Or sod it and get a tenor uke with rubber band strings. No idea, but 11 months still to go.

I thought the same about the fretless. It’s a lot easier than I thought and after about 20 minutes I forgot it was any different. It was my only bass for a while. 

1 hour ago, DTB said:

I thought the same about the fretless. It’s a lot easier than I thought and after about 20 minutes I forgot it was any different. It was my only bass for a while. 

Yeah not that difficult to get the basics, once you know the whereabouts of where you should be you play by ear instead of looking for frets. Difficult to master like any instrument. Personally I prefer non lined fretless basses. I actually find them easier to play.   I found with the lined fretless basses I kept fingering the fretboard between the fret lines instinctively , which is incorrect of course. When there's no fret lines there at all you're forced to use your ears.   

Edited by Quilly

Mine is a Vintage Jaco model, very impressive instrument for £340. I was expecting it to be crap, but was pleasantly surprised. So it has the lined neck. I’m sure unlined is more daunting but probably not a lot different. The five string headless Ibanez I have my eye on is not lined, just top mounted position markers. 
I’m not so sure it would be the same on stage. My gigging bass was a Japanese Geddy Lee with lovely big black blocks so there was no way of getting lost when it all got nervous sweaty loud and dark lol. It’s a totally different world to being in your familiar safe practice space, and I miss it so much. So I keep happy with buying new gear and I don’t care that I’ve got far to much already. Ha ha. 

I have made a purchase but think it's permissible.

I've bought a 3/4 Ibanez Mikro for my lad's birthday next month, he doesn't play yet but has shown enough of an interest so far and I found this cheap enough for it to be worth a shot.

image.png.4d4696dfd7e6fa0b0e91c9001040bfc4.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Machines said:

I have made a purchase but think it's permissible.

I've bought a 3/4 Ibanez Mikro for my lad's birthday next month, he doesn't play yet but has shown enough of an interest so far and I found this cheap enough for it to be worth a shot.

image.png.4d4696dfd7e6fa0b0e91c9001040bfc4.png

I had a loan of Telecaster for a few months, played it like crazy for a while, then got bored of it. The most interesting electric guitar I had was a baritone Fender Jaguar.  Again, once the novelty wore off I went back to playing bass, I'm just not a guitar guy.

45 minutes ago, DTB said:

Mine is a Vintage Jaco model, very impressive instrument for £340. I was expecting it to be crap, but was pleasantly surprised. So it has the lined neck. I’m sure unlined is more daunting but probably not a lot different. The five string headless Ibanez I have my eye on is not lined, just top mounted position markers. 
I’m not so sure it would be the same on stage. My gigging bass was a Japanese Geddy Lee with lovely big black blocks so there was no way of getting lost when it all got nervous sweaty loud and dark lol. It’s a totally different world to being in your familiar safe practice space, and I miss it so much. So I keep happy with buying new gear and I don’t care that I’ve got far to much already. Ha ha. 

You must of got a good one, I had one of these vintage jaco basses and I found the bodywork to be very poor. the Wilkinson hardware on the otherhand was really good quality I thought. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling here, playing double bass in two bands so I've got that and a fretless that's been literally my only bass for thirty years. But suddenly I've got a massive urge to buy a Status type headless, bodyless bass like a Hohner B2 or a Yamaha BX1. I can barely imagine a scenario in which it would have any practical use in my life. Where does that come from?

• Haha 1

I was given a pedal for my birthday. 

I didn’t buy it but I did ask for it. 

I can’t determine from the rules whether this is acceptable.

I’m guessing that there’s already been a ruling on this kind of thing but I can’t find it anywhere.

Am I still in or do I need to remove myself, head bowed?

1 hour ago, JoeEvans said:

I'm struggling here, playing double bass in two bands so I've got that and a fretless that's been literally my only bass for thirty years. But suddenly I've got a massive urge to buy a Status type headless, bodyless bass like a Hohner B2 or a Yamaha BX1. I can barely imagine a scenario in which it would have any practical use in my life. Where does that come from?

You have realised that the only true bass is a headless bass.

59 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

I was given a pedal for my birthday. 

I didn’t buy it but I did ask for it. 

I can’t determine from the rules whether this is acceptable.

I’m guessing that there’s already been a ruling on this kind of thing but I can’t find it anywhere.

Am I still in or do I need to remove myself, head bowed?

You asked for it, so I think you're out. On the 2021 and 2022 rules that was the case anyway.

Unless it's a bike pedal, in which case you're all good.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Richard R said:

You asked for it, so I think you're out. On the 2021 and 2022 rules that was the case anyway.

Unless it's a bike pedal, in which case you're all good.

On the other hand, I didn't start this year's event, and am actively trying to go out, so you should ignore any opinions I have.

Grant yourselves a pardon, an extra life, and a 2K pedal board.