Why become a member? ×

This Royal Mail strike is really something....

lidl e

8 hours ago, SH73 said:

... And the amount of leaflets they put through...

In France, there is a system whereby one puts a 'Stop Pub' sticker on the letterbox. The postie (and others...) will no longer post flyers, publicity or whatever that doesn't have the specific name and address on it. It's been decades since we last had anything of the sort; it works very well. I'm not sure quite how much of a 'legal obligation' is involved, but any dross that gets through would be up for a hefty fine I think...

AdCYvpE.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikel said:

If they didnt pay huge salaries and bonusus to senior management, and give big payouts to investors they may have had an argument. But its not just about pay, they want to change working practices and pensions to workers. The media fails to give the full story. 

A girl I work with has another job working behind a bar, one of her regulars is a postman and just one of the changes proposed will mean he loses £50 a week. I think it’s more this that the action is really focused on, the pay increase being a part of it of course but the main thing is the change in working practices which will mean reduction in take home pay. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

In France, there is a system whereby one puts a 'Stop Pub' sticker on the letterbox. The postie (and others...) will no longer post flyers, publicity or whatever that doesn't have the specific name and address on it. It's been decades since we last had anything of the sort; it works very well. I'm not sure quite how much of a 'legal obligation' is involved, but any dross that gets through would be up for a hefty fine I think...

AdCYvpE.jpg

I've seen people putting no junk mail , flyers or canvassing. If I did one wouldn't that make me a curmudgeon.

On 25/12/2022 at 08:43, SH73 said:

I'm aware of that, but it's purely nuisance 

Poor you............ so sorry you have to put up with junk mail delivered to your letter box.

Just like everybody else in this country.

Because as @fleabag correctly states Royal Mail are contractually obliged to do this.

Do you really think the posties on their rounds want to waste their time and energy doing this ? Every single day?

Shouldn't your argument be directed elsewhere?

Glad your new postie is polite........ that makes such a difference. Hope he shows some due dligence.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Poor you...

Hmm... I think I detect some small measure of sarcasm in this response. Not your finest post, methinks. Maybe, just maybe, there could be another way, rather than this 'contractual obligation' that's so wasteful, in so many respects. Maybe a system, used successfully in other countries, could be suggested instead..? In the present climate of reducing waste, and making best use of resources, is it beyond the wit of the UK collective to have a sign, a symbol, an expression of declination such as a sticker on the letterbox that all would recognise as being a refusal of unaddressed junk mail..? Keep the 'contractual obligation', but limit it to those not actively indicating that it is unwelcome. No dice..? Or must the status quo remain a fait accompli..?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Hmm... I think I detect some small measure of sarcasm in this response. Not your finest post, methinks. Maybe, just maybe, there could be another way, rather than this 'contractual obligation' that's so wasteful, in so many respects. Maybe a system, used successfully in other countries, could be suggested instead..? In the present climate of reducing waste, and making best use of resources, is it beyond the wit of the UK collective to have a sign, a symbol, an expression of declination such as a sticker on the letterbox that all would recognise as being a refusal of unaddressed junk mail..? Keep the 'contractual obligation', but limit it to those not actively indicating that it is unwelcome. No dice..? Or must the status quo remain a fait accompli..?

This is my point, most of it ends up in a recycling bin the rest in general bin. 

7 hours ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Poor you............ so sorry you have to put up with junk mail delivered to your letter box.

Just like everybody else in this country.

Because as @fleabag correctly states Royal Mail are contractually obliged to do this.

Do you really think the posties on their rounds want to waste their time and energy doing this ? Every single day?

Shouldn't your argument be directed elsewhere?

Glad your new postie is polite........ that makes such a difference. Hope he shows some due dligence.

Are you a postie? If you are I had no intention to offend you. I  pretty much know how things work. Royal Mail delivering junk mail makes extra income. Still nuisance, bad for environment. I may just keep my recycling bin outside my front door with a sign on.

I thought staff enjoyed carrying extra weigh in their bags, good for posture, keeps them fit. Of course I don't think that. Who would like to.

Should my argument be directed elsewhere? I don't argue. And I think my point was reasonable. All my important appointment letters were delivered after the actual appointment dates, but for good measure RM loads their staff with unnecessary junk mail rather than filter through mail and deliver important mail.

Our new postie is she, the previous was she too. Diligence, I had a chat with her the other day as I happened to be outside. But don't worry matey. I didn't bring up the strikes as I have respect for people, and I understand their needs. 

Poor you? Well I won't go into a conversation on this one.

I hope this satisfies your fiery answers.

6 hours ago, SH73 said:

Are you a postie? If you are I had no intention to offend you. I  pretty much know how things work. Royal Mail delivering junk mail makes extra income. Still nuisance, bad for environment. I may just keep my recycling bin outside my front door with a sign on.

I thought staff enjoyed carrying extra weigh in their bags, good for posture, keeps them fit. Of course I don't think that. Who would like to.

Should my argument be directed elsewhere? I don't argue. And I think my point was reasonable. All my important appointment letters were delivered after the actual appointment dates, but for good measure RM loads their staff with unnecessary junk mail rather than filter through mail and deliver important mail.

Our new postie is she, the previous was she too. Diligence, I had a chat with her the other day as I happened to be outside. But don't worry matey. I didn't bring up the strikes as I have respect for people, and I understand their needs. 

Poor you? Well I won't go into a conversation on this one.

I hope this satisfies your fiery answers.

The whole point of a strike is the inconvenience it causes, without that its a waste of time. Contact RM senior management and tell them to stop delivering junk mail. That may have some small effect. 

41 minutes ago, mikel said:

The whole point of a strike is the inconvenience it causes, without that its a waste of time. Contact RM senior management and tell them to stop delivering junk mail. That may have some small effect. 

You think anyone gives a sh*t when you complain to RM management, it gets swept under the carpet..

11 minutes ago, SH73 said:

You think anyone gives a sh*t when you complain to RM management, it gets swept under the carpet..

Methinks that could explain the current situation ?

I've reread your recent posts and I was not referring to the late delivery of your appointments. Sorry if you are having a tough time, can only apologise that it came over like that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

If the RM didn't deliver junk mail they'd be less profit and therefore less jobs, in fact it could mean the end of daily deliveries, Don't know about anybody else but I receive a lot less mail than I used too

It's mostly, electronic, and since this morons decided to ruin customer relations, even NHS would call you in advance knowing that important medical appointments are not missed due to undelivered letters.

2 minutes ago, blisters on my fingers said:

Methinks that could explain the current situation ?

I've reread your recent posts and I was not referring to the late delivery of your appointments. Sorry if you are having a tough time, can only apologise that it came over like that.

It's probably the blisters on your fingers that mistype

• Haha 1

Royal Mail is a business, their entire reason for existence is to make profit. If Domino's pizza offer them 1p per leaflet and they make a profit on that then they'll take the contract. Maybe if it was a state run entity and not for profit then they wouldn't take the contract.

I remember when I was a kid doing my paper round delivering the local paper, they told me they made most of their money from the 50 kilos of leaflets that broke my back every week.

17 hours ago, SH73 said:

It's mostly, electronic, and since this morons decided to ruin customer relations, even NHS would call you in advance knowing that important medical appointments are not missed due to undelivered letters.

Yep. I have have had phone calls from the NHS over the last month or so regarding apointments for treatment. They are well aware of the situstion. Workers are in a fight for our services, not simply their jobs. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mikel said:

Yep. I have have had phone calls from the NHS over the last month or so regarding apointments for treatment. They are well aware of the situstion. Workers are in a fight for our services, not simply their jobs. 

What's funny in the way this is portrayed is that these people are attacking us (the general public) when in most cases (railways, the NHS specifically) they're pushing to establish a service that's safe and fit for purpose. 

Nurses are warning that ongoing issues are affecting patient care. They're not holding us to ransom, they're trying to protect the UK's proudest acihevement.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

What's funny in the way this is portrayed is that these people are attacking us (the general public) when in most cases (railways, the NHS specifically) they're pushing to establish a service that's safe and fit for purpose. 

Nurses are warning that ongoing issues are affecting patient care. They're not holding us to ransom, they're trying to protect the UK's proudest acihevement.

I think junior doctors are in the same position, overworked.

42 minutes ago, SH73 said:

I think junior doctors are in the same position, overworked.

I was just listening to Radio 2 and the subject was exactly that, some real horror stories, I simply don’t know how they manage to do what they do, irrespective of salary. They really should be better appreciated.

NHS has been heading that way for along time, there are queues of american style insurers want a piece of this market; staff deserting the nhs in droves and locum costs through agencies further impacting ability to deliver so further exacerbating the cycle down to destruction point

next step will be fees for GP appointments as only way to retain GPs, on a pay first and means tested claim back after basis

20 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm convinced the government are trying to make the NHS so bad that they can force privatisation and a US style system because obviously if you're going to copy any system you go for the one rated as 34th best 

why does it have to be a US style system, why not a French or German style system? on most measure they've got better health care than us