Why become a member? ×

Vintage Kawai neck-through fix up

Grangur

On 29/12/2022 at 20:18, Grangur said:

Me too. I've had my Antex since the late 70s. I guess we see those as being great for lasting so long.

If you're selling soldering irons, I guess they'd see it as a mistake that they lasted this long after we paid so little for them.

I have had Antex but for some reason now find myself using a Hilka 100w instant heat one. A bit clumsy for tight spaces but it does the job if you are careful.

Probably too much for circuit boards though, not pointy enough

Edited by Ralf1e
added info

2 minutes ago, prowla said:

Continuing the soldering iron tangent; I've ordered a Hakko.

(Apparently there are some fakes about, so needed to do a bit of research...)

Do you have a link to a genuine item I could do with a easier to use one

50 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

Do you have a link to a genuine item I could do with a easier to use one

I’m buying on ebay. 
there are some YT videos explaining real vs fake spotting; it’s down to details. 
I’m expecting it to arrive in a couple of days and will do the checks, and then share. 

• Thanks 1

On 20/12/2022 at 07:47, Chienmortbb said:

That is definitely a Matsumoku.

It's definitely not!

A bit late to the bickerfest (on holiday, not paying attention!) but Kawai Gakki was a manufacturer in its own right with a guitar making history going back to the mid 60s when they acquired Teisco's manufacturing facilities specifically for that purpose. The Fernandes Alembic copies (related but not identical) were also made by Kawai.

I suppose it's because of the prominence of the through-neck Aria Pro basses that Matsumoku is indelibly linked with all things stripy & MIJ, but every major Japanese brand/manufacturer did them (Ibby Musicians, Kasuga Scorpions & many others) and the irony is that the entire trend was 'influenced' by Alembic in the first place!

Anyway, 'nuff pedantry, absolutely delighted to see this one being given a new lease of life & the care & attention it deserves. B|

• Thanks 3

FYI the Hakko arrived today and it looks good (I've not opened it to check the daughterboard).

The ebay seller is rossharmon08 (Grosvenor Associates), which is who one of the online "how to spot a fake" videos mentioned and confirmed OK.

• Like 1

The bass has been moving on slowly.

The electrics has been completed. 

Then today I got out to the lathe and turned some wooden buttons to fit into the holes. I didn't want to glue them as you never know if someone will later be able to refit the original circuit. So these were made as a tight push-fit into the holes.

This is the natural colour of the wood. I hand sanded the stems to get a tight fit.

All I need to do now is find a way to get it back to Mick.

20230110_214312.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Grangur said:

The bass has been moving on slowly.

The electrics has been completed. 

Then today I got out to the lathe and turned some wooden buttons to fit into the holes. I didn't want to glue them as you never know if someone will later be able to refit the original circuit. So these were made as a tight push-fit into the holes.

This is the natural colour of the wood. I hand sanded the stems to get a tight fit.

All I need to do now is find a way to get it back to Mick.

20230110_214312.jpg

They are lovely and such a good match to the original body colour also making them like buttons adds class rather than going oh look filled in holes. They make the plastic controls look out of place. Matching control knobs would be the icing on that cake. 🤗

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

They are lovely and such a good match to the original body colour also making them like buttons adds class rather than going oh look filled in holes. They make the plastic controls look out of place. Matching control knobs would be the icing on that cake. 🤗

Thank you.

The idea of wood controls is an Interesting thought. I'd be happy to turn them. What I'm not so sure of is fitting them to the pots.

3 hours ago, Grangur said:

Thank you.

The idea of wood controls is an Interesting thought. I'd be happy to turn them. What I'm not so sure of is fitting them to the pots.

Some types of hardwood can be cut with a normal metal working tap.

Alternative ideas are a captive nut put in with epoxy parallel to the shaft.

A plain shaft cross drilled for a roll pin with blanking either one side or both (bit permanent that one)

Thread the shaft and cut an internal thread or press in a captive nut from the bottom (epoxy the nut or superglue it as well if necessary)

Food for thought

8 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I’ve used these before when making wooden knobs:

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/knob-insert-for-diy-knobs/

The pots we have here have a splined spindle, but I guess it's possible to use a grub-screw if the diametre of the hole in the splied bush is right for the spindle. Many thanks.

That said, I don't know if @TheGreek wants wooden knobs. Maybe I should make sure he actually likes the bass first?
Maybe, if he doesn't like the bass, wooden knobs would make it more saleable in any case?

Richard,  I love that bass...

Not only does it look the mutt's nuts, it plays fantastic (as I'm sure you've found).

If I'm not happy with the tone I'll have to adjust the amp. I think I can manage that. 

B|

Meant to add, if wooden knobs aren't too much of a problem,  do it!!

Edited by TheGreek
Senility
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grangur said:

The pots we have here have a splined spindle, but I guess it's possible to use a grub-screw if the diametre of the hole in the splied bush is right for the spindle. Many thanks.

That said, I don't know if @TheGreek wants wooden knobs. Maybe I should make sure he actually likes the bass first?
Maybe, if he doesn't like the bass, wooden knobs would make it more saleable in any case?

And you can get these that help in changing the diameter of a split shaft….

https://www.artys-custom-guitars.com/en/pots-switches-and-other-parts/adapter-pot-sleeves/

• Thanks 1

It doesn't sound like a Kawai - not as phat or as punchy. I need to look at alternatives to the custom pickups supplied so any advice will be welcomed on replacement MM style pickups.

All very frustrating as owners of these basses know how playable they are - I haven't been able to. I've been thinking that I should have just left well alone and played it with the pick ups as they were.

We live and learn (hopefully)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I got the bass back from Richard earlier and TBH I think that I may need to reconsider the parts used. It's going to be difficult to replicate the original Kawai tone.

To be honest, I'm not too surprised. That bass looks great. I love the woods and the through-neck. The pickups are disappointing. They lack any real meat in the sound.

@LukeFRCmay have a point in the possibility they could be argued to sound "vintage". I'm pretty sure there were some vintage pups that had more of a drive than those.

Also. when putting it together I first built it with a complete passive circuit. It sounded thin and very average.  I then put in the G201 circuit... and to my ears it makes no difference at all whatsoever. So the purpose of that circuit is still lost on me. 

As Mick says, I think the search for some meat for that bass needs to continue.

I saw one of these a couple of years back, that would have been a 8 hours drive to get but was considering .... it was in great knick but the rear pickup had gone... researching these I quickly realised that you couldn't replace them and didn't make the silly drive. Oh well, my loss? 

With the active pickups in the original gone I was trying to work out what you would replace them with ... I came up with something active like EMG and an active filter based preamp would probably be the closest to an AAlembic sound - a multi coil setup like a Wal was also something I considered. 
The pickups that far back is going to be a thinner sound, Alembic/Wal are going to normally cut the top end to sound darker, the Warwick preamp boosts bass at around 120Hz or so - so maybe try some heavy EQing. 

While I am not jealous of you having to solve this problem... I kinda am!

I don't think it's a disaster looking to fit better pickups to this bass.

However, the fact that the not-cheap ones there are underwhelming is an issue that needs to be resolved.

You never know if some Alembic pickups might appear - I've maybe seen one set in several years, though.

An alternative could be to look at other style pickups than those big blocks and get sympathetic brass surrounds for them.

Thinking outside of the box, I wonder if any John East pre-amp could fit this; I have one in a J-bass and it is quite something and I'd expect it to resolve any pickup issues...