Why become a member? ×

Low-ish tension roundwounds, similar feel to TI Flats?

Paul S

My default for the last few years has been to fit TI Flats to all my basses.  I like the feel under my fingers, I particularly like the tension and tone.  However my most recent bass, a '54 single coil P bitsa, came fitted with rounds and I quite liked that extra bite in this instance.  But they were far too high tension to feel comfortable.  I am wondering which rounds would feel similar to TI Flats in tension? Preferably cheap ones :D 

The most comfortable steel rounds I’ve played were D’Addario Pro Steels, that may have been due to the tension. I chose 45-100s so would think that a lighter gauge would be even more comfy. 

Most comfortable nickels have been Ernie Ball Super Slinky, again 45-100.

• Thanks 1

I agree ProSteels 45-100 are extremely pleasant. Plus they have a massive growl. To me they did not feel as soft as TIs though. You may get closer to that with DR Hi Beams (very bright, nit as growly as the ProSteels) and even more the supersoft DR SunBeams (very dark though, not sure how much extra bite you would get)

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.  I think any growl is good - it is more the tension of the strings I am trying to replicate.  After playing TI Flats for so long I found fretting these particular rounds, whatever they are, to be hard work! :)  I seem to recall using DR Hi Beams in the dim and distant past, so may have a look at those.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

TI Jazz Rounds!  Never knew such things existed.  Off to explore, although I fear they will be expensive.

They're usually very expensive - lovely feel but very little growl in my experience.  I'm not a big growl user these days, but the TI JRs are so smooth that I removed them from one bass as I needed a little more bite.

• Thanks 1

On 17/12/2022 at 13:54, Paul S said:

My default for the last few years has been to fit TI Flats to all my basses.  I like the feel under my fingers, I particularly like the tension and tone.  However my most recent bass, a '54 single coil P bitsa, came fitted with rounds and I quite liked that extra bite in this instance.  But they were far too high tension to feel comfortable.  I am wondering which rounds would feel similar to TI Flats in tension? Preferably cheap ones :D 

Rotosound swingbass 90-35 set

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Funny, I have tried chromes, still have some knocking about, but find them to be duller than TI Flats.

If you stick to lighter gauges in Chromes, they are brighter in my experience. I use the 40-95 set, which was closest to the 43-100 TI set I tried and felt the same under the fingers. The 70 A string on the TIs was too slack and I found I had to practically wind the saddle off the adjustment screw to get it to intonate correctly. The A in the Chromes set is 75. Only slightly heavier, but much better.

• Like 2

On 17/12/2022 at 13:54, Paul S said:

I used TI Flats for ages on my P-bass and couldn’t use any others with higher tension (even labella low tension were too much even though I preferred the sound). Switching to round wounds I’ve found DR Sunbeams (lightest possible) to be great for tension & sound but they go dull pretty quick, so I have ended up with DR Fat Beams - stainless steel wrap for brighter growlier tone but round core for lighter feel (hex core DRs are too high tension).

Tried the TI rounds at some point but they are weirdly thin and I seem to recall not liking them at all.

• Like 1