Why become a member? ×

I Love Gigging

Bluewine

The first time I played Rebellion with Knock Off was a great gig, we’d worked towards it, and it was just great, for our first time there, playing to probably 800 people was amazing.

The last time I played Rebellion was kind of bitter sweet, it was a simply fantastic gig, some 2000 plus people watching & singing along, but I knew that was to be my last Rebellion with Knock Off (they didn’t yet know that however). 

But the gig that means most to me was when we (Knock Off) played a gig for a guy who sadly was dying of cancer. His wife contacted us and asked if we would do it as we were his fave band. We of course said yes. I just feel that that gig had a real meaning, rather than just being a gig if that makes sense. Sadly he died a few weeks later, from what I understand his casket was carried off to one of our songs.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

The first time I played Rebellion with Knock Off was a great gig, we’d worked towards it, and it was just great, for our first time there, playing to probably 800 people was amazing.

The last time I played Rebellion was kind of bitter sweet, it was a simply fantastic gig, some 2000 plus people watching & singing along, but I knew that was to be my last Rebellion with Knock Off (they didn’t yet know that however). 

But the gig that means most to me was when we (Knock Off) played a gig for a guy who sadly was dying of cancer. His wife contacted us and asked if we would do it as we were his fave band. We of course said yes. I just feel that that gig had a real meaning, rather than just being a gig if that makes sense. Sadly he died a few weeks later, from what I understand his casket was carried off to one of our songs.

Walking out to 2000 people is a very nice experience.

Blue

• Like 1

For me one great gig compensates for 5 bad ones. And everybody is looking for different things out of gigs. I say unless your playing with the right people you probably will have poor gigging experiences ( I've been there).

One thing I'll say about my band. Without fail at every gig as soon as we're on stage it's all about fun and nothing but fun.

The pic is from a 2 summers back. We did 60 minutes, then a local Zeplin tribute band did an hour and the headliner was Peter Frampton. The stage sound was kind of weird but we dealt with it. We struggle with big stage festival gigs. Regardless we still have a blast.

Blue

FB_IMG_1666818609874.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I so miss gigging on the regular!

To answer the OP question:

There was some conference on and they dined out in a restaurant nearby. Someone influential must have been a jazz fan and we packed out a cocktail bar with the corporate credit cards buying 500 buck rounds left and right. They had to borrow staff from their other bar to come and help. We're playing improv jazzish originals, leaning on funk and blues traditions, now that's entertainment!

Trickle Down Theory in action. We probably paid for ourselves for the whole gig season with the one night. I had zero qualms about taking our top dollar fee after that one.

• Like 1

I love gigging in general as the band are friends and we enjoy the buzz and fun.

Its tough work as a small pub type band as it’s often playing to small crowds in unsuitable pubs that should really even put bands on as they are not geared up for it.

I often return from a gig ( happy ) and think what needs to change with my gear if anything !! 

Takes a lot to make a gig happen but worth it in the end 

• Like 3

I agree that the great moments are when the band is working as a unit, everyone is having fun on stage and off, and the songs are flowing.

The first time I really got that feeling was about a year or two into my 'career', playing a benefit for a local biker who had lost a leg in a crash. The place was packed and we started playing Comfortably Numb (a favourite of mine) in which I sang the chorus. When I went into the first chorus, the audience joined in. It was a 'hairs on the back of my neck' moment that I have never forgotten. 

Another great memory was closing a multi-band line up event with an hour long medley of up tempo rock. We played non-stop and kept the dance floor full the whole time. The band had been playing regularly and often for a couple of years and we hadn't planned the song order or to keep playing but the singer just called the tunes and we went into them. We tried to build it into the set as a regular feature, but it never worked as well again.

• Like 1

For me music is and always has been about playing live. The buzz from a live gig takes hours for me to process, before I can sleep. I was in a startup band for 8 months, and because it ended up as a Tuesday night social event, with no sign of a gig in the forseeable future, I left. 

• Like 1

A few years ago I played at the Matala beach festival in Crete, with my Police tribute.

We didn't get paid but

We were flown out there, met by our driver at the airport and driven to out hotel, then the festival.

We were there for 3 days, played on the saturday night, flown home on the Monday.

Matala has beach caves, which joni mitchell sand about

Here's a few pictures

It was an amazing experience. If I never did another gig, at least I did this one. It was huge.

You can see the caves behind us

stage.jpg

Stewart.jpg

Matala1.jpg

Sting2.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I so miss gigging on the regular!

To answer the OP question:

There was some conference on and they dined out in a restaurant nearby. Someone influential must have been a jazz fan and we packed out a cocktail bar with the corporate credit cards buying 500 buck rounds left and right. They had to borrow staff from their other bar to come and help. We're playing improv jazzish originals, leaning on funk and blues traditions, now that's entertainment!

Trickle Down Theory in action. We probably paid for ourselves for the whole gig season with the one night. I had zero qualms about taking our top dollar fee after that one.

Some Interesting points come to mind regarding gigging. We all like different aspects of gigging.  You miss gigging on the regular. For some of us gigging on the regular might mean anything from 3 gig weekends to once a month gigging.

Blue

4 hours ago, police squad said:

A few years ago I played at the Matala beach festival in Crete, with my Police tribute.

We didn't get paid but

We were flown out there, met by our driver at the airport and driven to out hotel, then the festival.

We were there for 3 days, played on the saturday night, flown home on the Monday.

Matala has beach caves, which joni mitchell sand about

Here's a few pictures

It was an amazing experience. If I never did another gig, at least I did this one. It was huge.

You can see the caves behind us

stage.jpg

Stewart.jpg

Matala1.jpg

Sting2.jpg

Cool story and thanks for posting the pics, I'm jealous. Even without traditional pay you were treated like " Rock Stars" .

I've experienced many cool gigs but not this cool.👍

Blue

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikel said:

For me music is and always has been about playing live. The buzz from a live gig takes hours for me to process, before I can sleep. I was in a startup band for 8 months, and because it ended up as a Tuesday night social event, with no sign of a gig in the forseeable future, I left. 

Allot of guys have been through the same scenario including me. Getting up and running with gigs is extremely difficult for start ups. 

For the guys that get into this because you want consistent gigging, even with existing bands can be tough. If you don't know the band your interested in ask how long the current band line up has been in place and how often have they gigged each month for the past 6 months.

Blue

6 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

I agree that the great moments are when the band is working as a unit, everyone is having fun on stage and off, and the songs are flowing.

The first time I really got that feeling was about a year or two into my 'career', playing a benefit for a local biker who had lost a leg in a crash. The place was packed and we started playing Comfortably Numb (a favourite of mine) in which I sang the chorus. When I went into the first chorus, the audience joined in. It was a 'hairs on the back of my neck' moment that I have never forgotten. 

Another great memory was closing a multi-band line up event with an hour long medley of up tempo rock. We played non-stop and kept the dance floor full the whole time. The band had been playing regularly and often for a couple of years and we hadn't planned the song order or to keep playing but the singer just called the tunes and we went into them. We tried to build it into the set as a regular feature, but it never worked as well again.

I love this story. We get to experience a feeling that only performers get.

For me, when the band really nails a performance down and you get a thunderous applause. When that happens I get caught off guard. I feel embarrassed for some reason standing and looking down at my shoes.

Blue

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I love gigging in general as the band are friends and we enjoy the buzz and fun.

Its tough work as a small pub type band as it’s often playing to small crowds in unsuitable pubs that should really even put bands on as they are not geared up for it.

I often return from a gig ( happy ) and think what needs to change with my gear if anything !! 

Takes a lot to make a gig happen but worth it in the end 

We only play a handful of the small pub/bar gigs. It's a hit or miss proposition. These small gigs can be great and they can also be disasters.

I've played small bar gigs that were much more satisfying than some big stage festival gigs.

I say to all of you that are new to gigging, don't be discouraged by a few bad gigs. You'll forget about them once you have a couple of " winners" under your belt.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

My band were booked to play a wedding in Quimper, France. We set off from the London ’burbs in one van to Plymouth (why we didn’t use Portsmouth is still beyond me) where we had a pre ferry curry. After the crossing, we arrived in Quimper at breakfast time, so a very French repast was had. We checked into the caravan the couple had booked for us and then had the most leisurely set up of all time. We were supposed to go on at eleven o’clock, but didn’t take the stage until one in the morning the next day! Because of the time, we only played one long set and then retired to the caravan, with no need to break the gear down - luxury! Up the next day for an al fresco breakfast, pack the gear up and return home to Blighty. So many laughs along the way, it will stay with me until my mind goes or I peg it. Happy times.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

My band were booked to play a wedding in Quimper, France. We set off from the London ’burbs in one van to Plymouth (why we didn’t use Portsmouth is still beyond me) where we had a pre ferry curry. After the crossing, we arrived in Quimper at breakfast time, so a very French repast was had. We checked into the caravan the couple had booked for us and then had the most leisurely set up of all time. We were supposed to go on at eleven o’clock, but didn’t take the stage until one in the morning the next day! Because of the time, we only played one long set and then retired to the caravan, with no need to break the gear down - luxury! Up the next day for an al fresco breakfast, pack the gear up and return home to Blighty. So many laughs along the way, it will stay with me until my mind goes or I peg it. Happy times.

Thanks for sharing your story. I love it.👍

Blue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the reference and experience to gigging might vary from generation to generation as well as how old you were when you started gigging. Some of you might have started gigging as adults and some of us started when we were children.

Thoughts and opinions?

Blue

I love gigging. Yeah there's a world of poo to deal with at many of them but they're still always fun and the occasional special one makes all the nonsense pail into insignificance.

10 years ago I was playing pubs for naff money. These days it's all weddings and private functions. The money is decent and from time to time we get to play some special places. Last Friday was a corporate do at the Winter Gardens ballroom for 900 people. This new year's eve gig we are being flown to the Maldives to play on the beach. I think the thing that has kept it exciting is the constant push for something a little bit better. The thing that makes it fun is the guys I play with.

• Like 5

I love gigging.

Somehow us bunch of middle aged farts have got to the point where we can each earn £400 or more per gig (we did a gig for the horsey set, they told Crispian and Portia, who told their chums, word quickly spread and we have at least one high class private booking per month through to next November), but that's just a fringe benefit.

I enjoy it at a level I can't begin to describe and would happily play for free (and we do indeed play select charity gigs for free) just so long as there is an audience.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Yeah, I started gigging at 16 but had the most success from 48 - 54. Add in a drink problem which affected my enjoyment of gigs from early 20s until I was 42 that’s probably why I love gigging so much at my current age of 57.

I started gigging in 1966 at the age of 12.  Getting paid and consistent gigging didn't start for me until I was 57, I'm 69.

Blue

• Like 2