Why become a member? ×

I Love Gigging

Bluewine

6 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

Great photo - I bet it brings back memories? And is the feeling of playing well and/or winning comparable to a good gig?

Thanks, that pic was probably taken in 1965 or 1966.

I was a dreadful baseball player,however I was able to carry myself and act like I was top notch.😀

Blue

• Haha 1

I love gigging - I live for it. Did my first one in 1968, local village hall, age 14. Since then (54 years!) I've toured the clubs and festivals of Europe and USA, done the working mens clubs all over the UK, done pit work, accompanied singer songwriters, and toured with some world class musos. I'm currently playing in an originals band, and taking deps every now and then. I'll be 70 soon, but still get the same buzz when the band's in the pocket. I've had no formal lessons, don't read dots, know very little theory, but have good ears (what's left of them) so in a way I've been blagging it all this time. Most terrifying gig was a festival in the French alps doing a western swing set with Tommy Allsup, with no rehearsal, no charts, had to busk pretty much the whole set with him calling the changes out the corner of his mouth. Got away with it though. 

• Like 8

On 13/12/2022 at 18:35, Skin Lewis said:

I love gigging - I live for it. Did my first one in 1968, local village hall, age 14. Since then (54 years!) I've toured the clubs and festivals of Europe and USA, done the working mens clubs all over the UK, done pit work, accompanied singer songwriters, and toured with some world class musos. I'm currently playing in an originals band, and taking deps every now and then. I'll be 70 soon, but still get the same buzz when the band's in the pocket. I've had no formal lessons, don't read dots, know very little theory, but have good ears (what's left of them) so in a way I've been blagging it all this time. Most terrifying gig was a festival in the French alps doing a western swing set with Tommy Allsup, with no rehearsal, no charts, had to busk pretty much the whole set with him calling the changes out the corner of his mouth. Got away with it though. 

Agreed , I'm from the same vintage. When everyone is clicking on all cylinders you get the same buzz you got when you were a kid.

I think it's the same buzz. At my age it's hard to tell. 😀

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2