Why become a member? ×

Tablets v music stands

NoRhino

47 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Dolly Parton did at Glastonbury. I think the general rule is that if Dolly can do it, everyone can.

That just makes it worse. I'd feel bad getting paid £300 to perform (that's for the whole band, not just me) if I couldn't remember the words. I suspect that Dolly Parton wasn't playing for an equal share of £300?

Just because a famous celeb does something, that don't make it right. See: Kanye West.

A lot of performers have the words in some format. Bowie at Glastonbury for example. It's much better to learn the words, but scanning an ipad is better than err, err.

I once sang 'Ruby don't take your love to town' in a band and forgot the words of the last verse entirely - its' sung to just a drum beat. Not sure many in the audience noticed although that might have been my crap singing

29 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

That just makes it worse. I'd feel bad getting paid £300 to perform (that's for the whole band, not just me) if I couldn't remember the words. I suspect that Dolly Parton wasn't playing for an equal share of £300?

Just because a famous celeb does something, that don't make it right. See: Kanye West.

I would rather not (and isn't his name Ye these days?). But I don't have a problem with people with lyrics so not an issue for me.

In a previous band the singer used to mess up the words to everything, I wish he had lyrics.

Isn’t it just about whatever works? 

There can’t be any doubt that looking at a screen means not looking at the audience but is that different from looking at the frets? Is it better to read music and play note perfect or play ‘loose’ and engage? Is there a correct answer to that? Are all classical musicians poor because they have the dots to look at?

Personally I hate the look of music stands with a pub band though, I kind of think what we do is simple and about entertainment not art, I also want band members to do a bit of personal practice. This is just prejudice though, I’ve no idea if the offender is a dep doing a favour, someone with dementia or just a s##t memory. I’m lucky in having a good memory but it results in me being utterly reliant on it. I play most songs parrot fashion with no idea of which note I’m playing whilst prompting the singer. Is that art or am I just a monkey with a bass?

In the end it takes all sorts to make a team so play to your strengths and don’t worry about it so long as the audience have a good time.

For my blues rock trio I have a tablet attached to the mic stand.  Even though it is all about the guitarist I actually do most of the mc stuff.  On it I have the set list with some notes such as key, who wrote it and when.  The latter two I like to throw in occasionally, a few folk who see us regulalry have said they find it interesting.  I can usually remember the key (though not always!), most often remember who wrote it but certainly struggle to remember when certain songs were written.  But I don't sing at all so when we are playing I am nowhere near the mic stand anyway.  Well, small pubs I am but not through choice. :) Going to be adding a smartphone holder soon as we are trying out some lights that are controlled via an app, if I actually need or want to change settings - for some reason the app isn't available for my tablet, which is a shame.

But big names using scrolling screens - seems to me to be very common.  A few times at the O2 we've had seats right to one side of the stage and you can see the screens on the front edge of the stage, plus the tech sitting at the side with his laptop controlling the screens. 

Bottom line - I'm not sure I like to see a singer staring fixedly at words when singing but if it is just a safety net I really don't see what the fuss is about.

• Like 1