Why become a member? ×

Showboating.

NancyJohnson

Yeah, I've brought that up with him, but it's a numbers game, and as the YT channels show, the majority of punters (who might not all be bassists, either) like it...when he worked at A1 in Manchester, I used to go in, set a smiley-face EQ on an amp, and just clatter the strings with both hands... 😁

23 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've never been remotely interested in playing like Flea/Claypool any more than I've been interested in bands that sound like RHCP/Primus, so have never even tried emulating what these guys (and a zillion of other players) do.  Oddly, its getting to the point where I feel marginally embarrassed to say that I'm 'just' a rock/indie/punky/post-hardcore player.

I think the ones that get easily impressed by slap etc tend to not be the ones whose advice I could use... so don't feel bad for not slapping. I find that people [1] tend to learn what they need, and if you had needed it, you would have learnt. 

[1] by people I mean the kind of people most of us are here, working day jobs and playing music largely for fun. Pro Musicians probably learn everything, I would.

I learnt to slap when I ended up in a RHCP tribute band. I had taught myself to do some basic slap, but nothing too fast or complicated. I got praise often while playing RHCP stuff... but the thing is that once you get to it you realise Flea's slap is pretty simple, just fast. So it was a matter of putting the hours, and not as many as I thought at first. There's far tastier slap elsewhere, but people say you're good because you played "Blackeyed Blonde"... :shrug:

I've recently had to learn a bunch of Bruce Springsteen songs, and have 'discovered' how many amazing basslines there are hidden there. The bass player, Garry Tallent, had never registered with me... but man, that guy has such a tasty style, very melodic... and I enjoy that far more than any slap-fest. Although it's good to be able to do a bit of everything.

Exhibit A: "Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen, with one of my favourite basslines of his (Garry Tallent's)

"Everyone's trying to make the bass the voice. Stu Hamm playing the "Moonlight Sonata?" It's an ugly sound-don't do it! Step away from the bass! If you think the sound of the bass is more important than your own personal voice, you've missed the point of music completely."

Scott Thunes 1997.

I'm aware of Thunes' truculent reputation but I agree with him on this point. Moonlight Sonata tapped on a bass is technically impressive, but it isn't a nice sound to communicate that piece. I'd much rather hear it played on piano.

Everything in its right place.

I hate this sort of discussion. Charles Berthoud is an incredibly talented musician (who can most definitely play 'regular' bass), and him and his ilk aren't out to steal your gig. If that's not what you want to do, fair enough, you do you, but don't knock others who do enjoy that sort of thing, and who have put in the practice to be able to pull it off well. 

Remember, as a member of a band, you're the entertainment - lots of people like slap and find it entertaining. Like anything musical, don't over-egg the pudding, but don't discount it just because you can't do it! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

"Everyone's trying to make the bass the voice. Stu Hamm playing the "Moonlight Sonata?" It's an ugly sound-don't do it! Step away from the bass! If you think the sound of the bass is more important than your own personal voice, you've missed the point of music completely."

Scott Thunes 1997.

I'm aware of Thunes' truculent reputation but I agree with him on this point. Moonlight Sonata tapped on a bass is technically impressive, but it isn't a nice sound to communicate that piece. I'd much rather hear it played on piano.

Everything in its right place.

That narrow minded view would have prevented the existence of Jaco.

Or indeed the electric bass at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

That narrow minded view would have prevented the existence of Jaco.

Or indeed the electric bass at all.

How did you come up with that one?

I agree with Thunes, I'd much rather hear it played on a piano. How that signifies the end of everything I'm not quite sure...

On 04/11/2022 at 11:20, Muzz said:

I've said this before in defence of the vitriol that my chum Nige Clutterbuck has endured over the years for his showboat-y super-fast slappity-poppity, but the majority of those videos which seem to bring out the worst in fellow bassists were taken at trade shows; Nige worked for Rotosound for a long time, and the showboating brings punters to the stand. Same with YouTubers - they have channels to promote, and like it or not, the Great Unwashed love a bit of showboating. His bass playing is much more than that, and there isn't a shred (SWIDT?) of the showboating in his playing with Dare...

Ah, Nigel Clutterbuck: perenial winner of the "The name that sound most like their playing" award.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TBH, a lot of the slap fashion now seems to be: "How many triplets and sixteenths can I fit into this?"

I think it was Marcus who said that what he tries to do, is put what he usually plays with the fingers onto the thumb. Playing actual lines with the slap sound, not technique for technique's sake.