Why become a member? ×

November Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Congrats to  @xgsjx , @Nail Soup and  @upside downer on a deserved joint win.

Without too much fuss, the picture choice became incumbent on xgsjx, who provided the following image stating......

"Hoping it inspires a good range of genres from Ambient to Synthwave to CyberPunk & anything else that it can muster."

image.png.889438b30a2fd154faf6ece4011db7de.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded this month.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No  Bagpipes. The BST truce has duly expired . Panpipes only if you have too.

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

A line or two offering an insight to your inspiration/track choice will be good as well , it works nicely on the voting thread.

The Deadline for entries is Midnight on Wednesday 23rd November .

Before closing off just a reminder that come December we traditionally have turkey a cover song challenge, so get your thinking caps on for a song to  choose, or even get started on.

Have fun 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

A couple of rainy afternoons have caused this to happen...

An evocation of short-lived 60s US sci-fi tv show, in dub!

Bass is the trusty Wal through 2 lots of Helix deep bass patches. Guitar (all 3 chords!) is a strat. Keys are Iris and Ableton's own grand piano. Plus loads of fun making noises with Raum, Phasis, Objeq Delay, Dubstation 2 and more Iris. Voices are me, drums put together in EZ Drummer and Loopcloud Dums using Ableton pack sounds and some Loopcloud snare/cymbal sounds. All mixed in Ableton, with a smear of Neutron and Ozone 9.

Edited by Leonard Smalls
  • Like 6

Here is my contribution to the November 2022 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by one of the previous winners: xgsjx
He's still a long way from home, and the paving is slimy, slippery and dangerous. There's something stuck to his sole. If this is the Future, I'm glad I won't see it.
Two MDrummer tracks for the percussion, the instruments are Alchemy synths , a guitar and a trumpet. Some treatment this time (flangers...) to get a bit more movement going, and my standard Reaper NY Glue on the Master tracks, as usual.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 5

Finally found some time for one of these, and enjoyed it as usual.. I need to remember how much I like doing it, mainly because I always learn a lot trying.

Blurb for the voting thread: 

I’ve tried to go kind of “directly” from the pic, imagining the protagonist walking forward, imagining what happens next and thinking, “if that’s the music video, what’s the music?”. A  driving insistence to keep moving and the drama of what is encountered on the way.

For anyone interested in the gear: Bass is a Maruszczyk Jake 5A with Nordstrand pups through my Kemper’s version of a Tech 21 Bass Driver. Guitar is an Ibanez built from parts off eBay through AmpliTube and “The Finger”, an excellent Reaktor FX playable effect. The rest of the tracks are all Native Instruments, Drums are Battery playing Groove Monkee MIDI. Synths from Reaktor, Rounds, FM8 and Retro Machines, all played live on an NI S88 first before being edited. Waves Infected Mushroom Pusher and Saphira for Mix FX, plus a couple of tricks to keep things wide.

Edited by adamg67
  • Like 4

Got mine finished & it's went a very different direction from what I thought it would.

Starts off with a heavily processed hi hat to make the swooshing portal loop sound.  Guitar part is me on bass playing up the dusty end.  The rest is a mix of NI Komplete & Roli Equator2.

Just got some unexpected time, so I've added the horn solo that I wanted.  Played it on the Roli Rise.

Edited by xgsjx
  • Like 5

Here's my entry.

The picture gave me vibes of looping and continuation, so a repetitive bassline and yes it goes on a bit 🙂.....

The words (such as they are) came from a bit of word association: Blue Circle > Cement > Concrete > Abstract

Finally, the sad death of Keith Levine means I tried to channel some KL/PIL.

• Like 5

Move over, Morrissey, make room for me! :biggrin: Here's my usual last-minute effort.

The image didn't half make me think of the wonderful worlds conjured up by Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books so here's a space-time continuum, jolly romp of a tune named after the supercomputer built by hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings interspersed with a few words from the book. What I'm saying is that the lyrics are by Douglas Adams. I hope the executors of his estate aren't litigious.

Used an unbranded Strat copy with an open G tuning, a Yamaha keyboard, MT Power Drums/Looperman drums and the bass comes from fiddling around with Ableton sounds. Recorded different bits in Ableton, Wavepad and Audacity. Apogee Mic+ for vox, Roland Cube amp for noise and I can't remember if I used a DFA pedal or not ;)

Edited by upside downer
  • Like 3