Why become a member? ×

Met my Goat today !

Wonky2

20 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

They say "never meet your heroes". Thankfully "they" are wrong sometimes.

Definitely, I met Bruce Foxton of The Jam when we were on the same show and I was incredibly nervous but he was a really nice guy.

Such a great story and even though I was never a big Jamiroquai fan, I do really like Stuart's playing and he is a fab bass player with awesome tone so pretty amazing you got to meet and hang out with your bass hero.

I'm not sure how good I would be at holding it together if the same happened to me. I recognise Pino to boot so if I was playing fretless (I only play fretless) and he walked in then I think I would crumble.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Such a great story and even though I was never a big Jamiroquai fan, I do really like Stuart's playing and he is a fab bass player with awesome tone so pretty amazing you got to meet and hang out with your bass hero.

I'm not sure how good I would be at holding it together if the same happened to me. I recognise Pino to boot so if I was playing fretless (I only play fretless) and he walked in then I think I would crumble.

Back in my guitar playing days (yeah, yeah, I know) I was trying out various vibrato systems, to find out which one I preferred (Kahler, if you're interested). Whilst giving it the biggun on the whammy, I looked up to see a somewhat diminutive man, wearing large, aviator shaped, horn rimmed spectacles. I put the guitar down and left. The one and only Hank Marvin was in the shop. In contrast, I was in a shop and was annoyed at some long haired, herbert taking up the shop assistant's time, whilst I was waiting, somewhat impatiently, to be served. "He won't buy that," I thought to myself. He didn't, but that long haired herbert was none other than Rory Gallagher, I felt ashamed for not recognising him and being so dismissive. Another time, I was staring into a guitar shop window, with another couple of chaps, when we joined by another. Looking sideways at the newcomer, I recognised Laurie Wisefield of Home and Wishbone Ash, who was playing in the pit just up the road in We Will Rock You. It was heartening to see that even one of those who have played at some of the highest levels, still window shop just like every one else.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2

On 16/10/2022 at 02:30, Wonky2 said:

I believe the kids use the term “goat” to describe their greatest of all time  ?😂👍 

today I went to promenade music in Morecambe to try out a few amps, namely an orange little bass thing….. 

so I’m playing away when a guy comes in, tells me it’s sound great and we get to chatting….. 

the guys lovely but somehow something a little bit “out there” about him told me he wasn’t your average punter…… I somehow had a feeling…

We talked a good while, he listened in to me trying out amps, then he asked me to try out a trace elf and 2x8 cab for him, to which I said oh sorry for hogging the booth please , be my guest and jump on and have a go….. 

no he says, your doing great and I’d just like to heat you play it… I played, he asked for a little slap (which it’s been a long time since I’ve done that these days) so I obliged….. poorly 😂

sounds great he says, I’ll have it…. 
I switch back to the orange and carry on, he comes back in and asks about / complements my palm muting tech, as I thump away a’la jamerson style ,which was nice….. 

any way…. I came out of there and we chatted a while longer……. And bands, music , stuff….

What’s your name he says, I’m stu, pleased to have met you ….etc then he left….

Guy in the shop says, you know who that was right?
only turns out it was stu zender!

only my all time favourite player and total inspiration that got me playing bass all them years ago! 
I mean, I hammered that early jamiroquai stuff when I was younger and allthough I don’t get to play that kinda stuff with my band these days, it deffinaitly made me the player I am today…

and for that I am eternally grateful..

i left shortly after and by chance seen him again outside , he was having a smoke outside his car before he left…..

I went over laughing , he knew hahaha…. Gave me a great big hug and offered for a Selfy pic! 
we talked some more, such a nice guy he was….

Without sounding like some kinda teenage groups I had to tell him or more so thank him for what he did on that first album EOPE all them years ago….. he was chuffed to see me happy which was great…..

so, if you happen to hear his next album, he’s recording it at home and using that trace elf….. 

I’ll listen to it, and I’ll smile to know that the bass I’ll hear on it will be coming from the amp that I demo’d for him ! 

#best day ever. 😂👍

4A7BF507-DF2E-43E0-AB46-415D23B6B550.jpeg

That's a great story. My equivalent is that years ago I was playing at a jazz funk jam in Cambridge with a drummer mate of mine. A guy gets up and asks if he can play a bit of guitar. No problem of course. Anyway, this bloke is seriously good with such fantastic feel and groove. Afterwards I said to my mate 'He's a bit good. Do you know if he's in a band?' 'Yes' replied my mate. 'He's Rob Harris out of Jamiroquai.'

• Like 4

Once took a mate to see his first Dinosaur Jr gig at Newcastle O2. He nipped out for a fag and a bloke exits a side door, my mate had a chat and the bloke duly went back in through the door he appeared from. My mate comes back in and tells me he just had a chat with this old roadie geezer with mad wizard hair.......Later the band took to the stage and it slowly dawned on him! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, miles'tone said:

When SZ left Jamiroquai, so did the magic imho. I gave them a couple of albums but lost interest eventually. 

Agreed. Without being a fan of the music but a fan of the basslines the first 3 albums are where it's at.  Thing about SZ his rep's based on a pretty small body of work topped by those 3 albums, which gives me an idea for a thread.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2022 at 10:32, miles'tone said:

Really cool he liked your playing enough to buy an amp by how good you sounded.

If it had been me he probably would have said, "Oh for f***s sake give it 'ere..." 😆

I once went to a shop event where Billy Sheehan was the guest of honour.

As he walked in I was trying to play one of his tunes... and I completely frakked it up. I was mortified.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, miles'tone said:

When SZ left Jamiroquai, so did the magic imho. I gave them a couple of albums but lost interest eventually. 

Same here, for me, he was jamiroquai, even more so than the man in the hat….

when stu left I tried to give their first album without him a go, I just couldn’t.

the “new” guy …. (Been there a ling time now) is an excellent player but like me playing those stu zender lines it just feels like the kareeoke version of a bass line if you know what I mean? 

he’s good, very good, a million miles better than me for sure but …. It’s kareeoke bass.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Agreed. Without being a fan of the music but a fan of the basslines the first 3 albums are where it's at.  Thing about SZ his rep's based on a pretty small body of work topped by those 3 albums, which gives me an idea for a thread.

Yep, and like I said , at the time of that first album he’d been playing less than two years. 
I actually asked him was that right when we chatted, and he said yeah he was 19 at the time and would

spend every waking minute playing jaco lines to practice….. I told him same for me but it was stu zender lines I played along too…..

and sometimes flea, but mostly always stu 😂👍

and like I say, back then , that fact that he’d only been playing that short time really switched

me on to the fact that if I practiced hard enough perhaps I could

be as good.

each and every track taught me something new.

i still to this day absolutely love the feel of punctuated stops in the line on the verse parts of “if I like it, I just do it”….. 

like i Say, without sounding like a 12 year old school girl with a crush, he literally was my inspiration, and it was his influence that made me aspire to be and eventualy come to the point of identifying as a bass player. 
not a musician, I play guitar and banjo and other things too but I don’t identify as any of them other things and would never profess to be a guitarist or such….

Nope , I’m a bass player….it’s who I’ve been for pretty much 30 years , what people who know me know me for….

Who knows, without his influence I may have been just another self

obsessed guitarist 😂👍

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wonky2 said:

Yep, and like I said , at the time of that first album he’d been playing less than two years. 
I actually asked him was that right when we chatted, and he said yeah he was 19 at the time and would

spend every waking minute playing jaco lines to practice….. I told him same for me but it was stu zender lines I played along too…..

and sometimes flea, but mostly always stu 😂👍

and like I say, back then , that fact that he’d only been playing that short time really switched

me on to the fact that if I practiced hard enough perhaps I could

be as good.

each and every track taught me something new.

i still to this day absolutely love the feel of punctuated stops in the line on the verse parts of “if I like it, I just do it”….. 

like i Say, without sounding like a 12 year old school girl with a crush, he literally was my inspiration, and it was his influence that made me aspire to be and eventualy come to the point of identifying as a bass player. 
not a musician, I play guitar and banjo and other things too but I don’t identify as any of them other things and would never profess to be a guitarist or such….

Nope , I’m a bass player….it’s who I’ve been for pretty much 30 years , what people who know me know me for….

Who knows, without his influence I may have been just another self

obsessed guitarist 😂👍

I remember reading in an old interview that both he and his sister played percussion (Latin stylee I think?...) in the live band with  Archaos Circus (that mad Circus where they juggled chainsaws and other mad max-like shenanigans) and toured with them for a couple of years...

His inner sense of rhythm undoubtedly would have been bang on point before he even picked up a bass. He must have run away with the crazy Circus as soon as he left school! 😄

Whatever. He was simply a very young and gifted supernatural talent. A one off. 👏

People like that don't seem to stay in the game long unfortunately. They have something that can't be tempered. 

JK played the game, until the game eventually played him (imho and that).

• Like 1

Btw...thanks Wonky. Your thread has had me listening to EOPE and TROTSC on repeat for a few days! Been a while but I can still sing every bass note and horn line! Those albums are so ingrained and internalised...been great opening that memory box again! Cheers!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Btw...thanks Wonky. Your thread has had me listening to EOPE and TROTSC on repeat for a few days! Been a while but I can still sing every bass note and horn line! Those albums are so ingrained and internalised...been great opening that memory box again! Cheers!

Ahhhh it’s great to hear that buddy….

im glad it’s switched you back on to it !

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I remember reading in an old interview that both he and his sister played percussion (Latin stylee I think?...) in the live band with  Archaos Circus (that mad Circus where they juggled chainsaws and other mad max-like shenanigans) and toured with them for a couple of years...

His inner sense of rhythm undoubtedly would have been bang on point before he even picked up a bass. He must have run away with the crazy Circus as soon as he left school! 😄

Whatever. He was simply a very young and gifted supernatural talent. A one off. 👏

People like that don't seem to stay in the game long unfortunately. They have something that can't be tempered. 

Absolutely spot on ….

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Absolutely spot on ….