Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Basses

Tim2291

I was trying to think of bass players who are associated with Yamaha and there really aren’t that many that spring to my mind at least. Those that I can think of off the top of my head are: Billy Sheehan; John Patitucci; Nathan East; Peter Hook & Michael Anthony. I would have added John Myung, but he jumped ship to MM ages ago and Henrik Linder used to use a TRB, but now uses a Mattison sig model. Perhaps Yamaha need to make more of an effort to put their basses in the hands of more A listers, but perhaps they’re not that bothered. I noticed that their instruments, including a bass, were used in the latest version of A Star Is Born, but I wouldn’t have thought that this is the best kind of product placement in order to promote the brand.

Nonetheless, I wouldn’t hesitate to use a Yamaha if they had something that fitted my requirements as they don’t make a bad instrument at any price point, as has been said before (they were certainly in my current search for a dreadnought).

31 minutes ago, Horizontalste said:

I wanted to contribute something useful to this thread but I can't think of anything useful to say other than I have two Laklands, a Stingray & two Yamaha's & this one is definitely the most used!IMG_20221005_164912.thumb.jpg.3397239c13764d4060c30fea2ec2dfdc.jpg

That's beautiful. Is it a custom job or a signature model or something?

19 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

That's beautiful. Is it a custom job or a signature model or something?

It's a 425 that I brought new for a discounted price just as they were discontinued.

I had the body design hydrodipped, changed the bridge for a Hipshot, dyed the fretboard & lacquered the neck & wired it VVT.

I'm looking for a 414/424 now for a similar project only it'll be hand painted.

• Like 1

On 15/10/2022 at 09:24, nosnowking said:

My current workhorse is a TRBX505 In diarrhoea-brown. I bought it a few years ago, cheap, as a backup bass because I'm playing almost exclusively 5 string these days. It's managed to outlive 2 Spectors, a BBP35, a Stingray 5, a BB735A, and a BB1025. My Fender Jazz 4 never got any use and is now sold. My Stingray 4 is to die for but hardly gets any use. 

It's got that "best bass for metal" body shape, but in the poo-brown colour it's actually quite understated and cool...and I've had more compliments on this bass than all the others put together! 

I do love the top end Yams, but they always left me wanting something more that I can't quite put my finger on. But to answer your original question, it's all marketing and nostalgia. The big names have it nailed, they always sign up the new acts and shove one of their guitars in their hands. (I mean, if I was Sam Fender, I'd have left it at least a decade before endorsing Fender guitars, just to f**k with them! I'd have been knocking down Gibson's door! 😂) They like to play the "we invented it" card, but others were doing the same thing at the time... Fender just had a more successful business model and an aggressive legal team. But then I know that by buying a Yamaha most of my cash will go into the quality of the guitar, rather than a sizeable chunk going to the marketing department. If I were to consider another bass from the Fender stable, it would be a Charvel. 

It feels a bit more rock 'n' roll to leave the £1500+ supposedly "good" basses at home and go out every weekend with a Yamaha marketed at beginners. One of these days I might spray it pink or rainbow crackle. And I might just buy another as a backup-backup. 

PXL_20221015_073045137.jpg

Do it! Go for the crackle paint, i'm debating either that or a hydro dip on my cheapo explorer!

On 14/10/2022 at 21:41, joe_geezer said:

I own 5 Yamaha TRB mark 1s ... I would put them up there with NYC Sadowsky's I know as I have owned 2 of them and sold them both but kept all my Yamahas.. I use to play in a Jazz club in Paris & a chap that use to come and watch our gig owned a couple of Ken Smiths and said my Yamaha TRB 4 string always sounded much better than his Smiths... 

Ken Smiths are amazing instruments and all of them sound like a Ken Smith... which is brilliant, and also a hinderance in some aspects!

• Like 1

On 15/10/2022 at 14:43, fingerz said:

Yamaha don't make any 'bad' instruments in my opinion. For me that's something that no other mass produced instrument has struck me with. An amazing company, I have an old electric piano, when it had an issue the support offered from them was exceptional. I have an old TRB which I de-fretted and is now my fretless bass if I need one for anything, I've toured it a few times and used it on shows and recordings. To me it is improved as a fretless, and I trust it, it's a workhorse, 23 odd years old now.

I think the OP's question about why they haven't ever really stood out is probably due to the lack of controversy around the brand. All others have played the 'all publicity is good publicity' card at some point and really tested brand loyalty. I think Yamaha have a lot of loyalty but it's never really been challenged. Their drum market to me is their strongest in terms of prestige, and again, IMO, their drums have the most 'character' of all their products. That's the thing that lacks for me in their basses, with all that amazing consistency, comes a slight lack of character, but if anyone asks me what bass to buy without trying, or knowing exactly what they want, I always say get a Yamaha. And on that point, Nathan East has recorded more bass and pleased more producers and artists than anyone, channelling all that talent and dedication though Yamaha instruments which sound phenomenal on all his work. So more fool me, but that's my five cents on the matter, they are one of the absolute top brands out there who just have been so good they've faded into the background a little bit, which we should commend them for!

I have a BBN5 (budget 5 string) that I had literally dragged round behind a car in a college car park because I was a super edgy cool student and wanted the bass to be road worn... I've since stripped it, defretted it and painted it lake placid blue with satin finish. Plays brilliantly and the relatively weak j-bass pickups give a really good tone for fretless!

On 13/10/2022 at 08:06, Tim2291 said:

We all know how great Yamaha gear is, there's an entire thread about the BB range. But why are they not more celebrated (talking to the level of Fender etc)? 

Yamaha started as a piano company (their logo is three tuning forks) and diversified into making a lot of different things (Motorcycles, appliances, etc) that they are known worldwide for that diversity. If their sole focus was guitars and basses, their perception would be different

On 15/10/2022 at 17:13, ezbass said:

I was trying to think of bass players who are associated with Yamaha and there really aren’t that many that spring to my mind at least. Those that I can think of off the top of my head are: Billy Sheehan; John Patitucci; Nathan East; Peter Hook & Michael Anthony. I would have added John Myung, but he jumped ship to MM ages ago and Henrik Linder used to use a TRB, but now uses a Mattison sig model. Perhaps Yamaha need to make more of an effort to put their basses in the hands of more A listers, but perhaps they’re not that bothered. I noticed that their instruments, including a bass, were used in the latest version of A Star Is Born, but I wouldn’t have thought that this is the best kind of product placement in order to promote the brand.

Nonetheless, I wouldn’t hesitate to use a Yamaha if they had something that fitted my requirements as they don’t make a bad instrument at any price point, as has been said before (they were certainly in my current search for a dreadnought).

Over the years a lot of top pro players have used Yamaha basses, and a fair few continue to do so. The players you mention are quite a roster just in themselves!

I am, unfortunately, old enough to remember when the BB basses first came out  in the late 1970s/ early 1980s and they were pretty high profile at the time.  Paul McCartney, Lee Sklar, Jimmy Haslip, David Hungate, Abraham Laboriel, Paul Jackson and the bloke from Chas and Dave all had one, to name but a few. They were definitely prestige instruments at the time. Carlos Santana had popularized the SG2000 and Yamaha were looking to do the same for the BB bass.

A lot of well known music was recorded with Yamaha basses. I really don't see them as an inferior brand at all. In fact I think they have quite an impressive heritage when it comes to who has used them and the tracks they are on.

• Like 1

I love a good Yamaha. 

Here's a family pic from earlier in the year. The BB1024X has been replaced by a coffee burst BB734a, another BEX4 and a fretless BB1100S have joined. 

L-R Attitude Ltd II, BB1024X, BEX4, BB424X, BBPH. 

All tonally different but all fantastic. 

gPPPLHM.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've had a fair few Yamahas over the years (all RBX or BB). Every one of them was a good instrument - but very few of them however really inspired me. 

Their current lineup is very conservative and nothing really has changed for several years. If they conjured up a multiscale 5 string based on the RBX (ideally with a non-boring finish) I would be on it like a tramp on a kipper. However they tend to shy away from 'trends' and keep a design for many years with little revision apart from maybe a different shade of brown.

That said - my 1999 RBXJM2 is staying as it looks amazing and I think the best looking bass they made:

image.thumb.png.3175f88d58aaf2cf30c041b36fdbe66a.png

Edited by Machines

I managed to find a Flying Samurai reissue after a lot of looking around. Oh there were generally several for sale in Japan , and then a couple more scattered around the planet , but I was reluctant to import something into Canada. Finally found one in Toronto, snagged it , and love it ! 

3ECDBDD4-04C1-4861-B780-BC6ECF591594.jpeg

A friend has suggested that I’m going to need a set of boots like this , if I’m going to use it …

3C0DA6AB-74BD-4592-9417-60DE17C57B6F.jpeg

Edited by msb
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

For you, what has been the net gain of this swap?

Nothing at all, the 1024 is a better bass IMO. 😂

It wasn't really a swap though. I reversed the pickup on the 424 and then the 1024 came up for a good price. I bought it to compare and keep the winner. Decided to keep the 424 and sold the 1024 to help fund an Eastwood Hooky 6.

Then fancied a 734a as it's vastly different to the 424, or 1024, being active, and wanted it as an everyday active bass to leave out around the house, rather than the BBPH. It's also different enough to the BBPH. 

Oh who am I kidding. GAS made me do it all! 😂😂😂

Apologies, this has turned into a bit of a hijack. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

I wanted a BB for a while when I was much younger just because Michael Anthony played one. Had no idea if it was good or bad and didn’t give it any thought at the time. Still have never played one. 

looking at how well received the Revstar six string is across all its price ranges and I really like the aesthetics, I’d love to see a bass guitar version of that shape, with the body upsized a bit to keep the proportions correct.  That’s something I’d save up for and buy. 

On 18/10/2022 at 06:17, Misdee said:

Over the years a lot of top pro players have used Yamaha basses, and a fair few continue to do so. The players you mention are quite a roster just in themselves!

I am, unfortunately, old enough to remember when the BB basses first came out  in the late 1970s/ early 1980s and they were pretty high profile at the time.  Paul McCartney, Lee Sklar, Jimmy Haslip, David Hungate, Abraham Laboriel, Paul Jackson and the bloke from Chas and Dave all had one, to name but a few. They were definitely prestige instruments at the time. Carlos Santana had popularized the SG2000 and Yamaha were looking to do the same for the BB bass.

A lot of well known music was recorded with Yamaha basses. I really don't see them as an inferior brand at all. In fact I think they have quite an impressive heritage when it comes to who has used them and the tracks they are on.

One of my favorite pick bass tones was Jimmy Bain on Dio's Holy Diver......come to find out it was a Yamaha BB2000....I was totally impressed and I'm not a pick player 

• 1 year later...
On 21/10/2022 at 09:53, Rib13Bass said:

One of my favorite pick bass tones was Jimmy Bain on Dio's Holy Diver......come to find out it was a Yamaha BB2000....I was totally impressed and I'm not a pick player 

I remember seeing Jimmy Bain playing a BB1200 with Wild Horses back in the late '70's. He must have progressed on to the BB2000 and subsequently BB3000.

Regarding the BB2000, maybe there's something about a reverse P pickup that works well for a grindy rock pick tone; look at the Spector NS2/ Warwick Streamer ect.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Misdee said:

I remember seeing Jimmy Bain playing a BB1200 with Wild Horses back in the late '70's. He must have progressed on to the BB2000 and subsequently BB3000.

Regarding the BB2000, maybe there's something about a reverse P pickup that works well for a grindy rock pick tone; look at the Spector NS2/ Warwick Streamer ect.

I play mostly non-heavy rock styles but I have one bass, a 1989 Fender Power Jazz Special that has is a ReverseP/J and there is a little something in the distribution that seems more even from that Reverse P

Edited by Rib13Bass