Why become a member? ×

Precision bass options

SteveXFR

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 18:08, SteveXFR said:

I should have mentioned I have already got a Squier affinity P bass. I like the neck and string spacing. I didn't like the stock pickups (replaced with Tonerider and Kl0gon wiring) it now sounds OK but lacks the p bass snarl. 

Some of my favourite P bass tones are Matt Freeman of Rancid and Jay Bentley of Bad Religion and JJ Burnell (Peaches specifically)

Squier Classic Vibe maybe?

I should have mentioned I have already got a Squier affinity P bass. I like the neck and string spacing. I didn't like the stock pickups (replaced with Tonerider and Kl0gon wiring) it now sounds OK but lacks the p bass snarl. 

Some of my favourite P bass tones are Matt Freeman of Rancid and Jay Bentley of Bad Religion and JJ Burnell (Peaches specifically)

Sounds like you just need to replace the pickup. I put a Bartolini pickup in my P bass and the sound took off.

Then there's Nordstrand or Geezer EMG's.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Sounds like you just need to replace the pickup. I put a Bartolini pickup in my P bass and the sound took off.

Then there's Nordstrand or Geezer EMG's.

Hi Chris,

I've got Barts in my Jazz and its the best sounding Jazz I've ever heard. Do you know what Barts you put in your P-Bass as I've just got a new P-Bass and fancy trying some different pickups.

21 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Hi Chris,

I've got Barts in my Jazz and its the best sounding Jazz I've ever heard. Do you know what Barts you put in your P-Bass as I've just got a new P-Bass and fancy trying some different pickups.

Hi, that was in 1988. I can't remember, sorry.

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Speaking for my own experience 

id be buying Japanese non export or Mex classic 50s aka vintera. Honourable mention for mex highway one with the nitro paint 

The Mex Classic 50s has a real aggressive snarl, def worth checking out (tho neck width not to everyone’s taste)

• Like 1

Just now, SteveXFR said:

I think I'm probably going Mexican. From what I've read it seems they're decent and of consistent quality. I'll check out the 50's classic.

Perfect! You have made a decision! You cant be wrong!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I think I'm probably going Mexican. From what I've read it seems they're decent and of consistent quality. I'll check out the 50's classic.

I played it - very nice indeed 

partner urged me to buy it. I, in an utter fkucwit moment said “I don’t need it” 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I played it - very nice indeed 

partner urged me to buy it. I, in an utter fkucwit moment said “I don’t need it” 🤦‍♂️

I'm really tempted by the Vintera P. I had a go on one the other day and really loved how it sounded. The neck was a bit wider than I'm used to, but I'll probably adjust to it.......maybe.

I wish they made a 70s Vintera P. I've seen a FSR 70s style MiM, but have no idea if they have 70s voiced pups?

I had a similar moment when the Mrs tried to persuade me not to sell a bass because I'd regret it, but I had this silly self enforced idea about limiting the amount of basses I had to 3. I really regret selling that bass!

My workhorse is a Player series Fender. I bought it because I did not want to commute with the more expensive older basses to rehearsals. 
I read somewhere back then that these Player series are almost as good as the mid 00's-10's Usa standards. I owned and played quite few from that era so I had a good reference.
I can tell you, it's as good as the 2010's usa sandard series. I can highly recommend it if you don't want to bust your bank. 

• Like 3

Playing a mex player p bass at the moment strung with la Bella flats for my acoustic band set, can’t fault it at all. Great neck , tone , playability etc. the hardware is “ok”, not amazing but I won’t be changing anything because it all works fine. Good value for money imo.

27BB1277-4796-4487-8FF3-539A8196E175.jpeg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Playing a mex player p bass at the moment strung with la Bella flats for my acoustic band set, can’t fault it at all. Great neck , tone , playability etc. the hardware is “ok”, not amazing but I won’t be changing anything because it all works fine. Good value for money imo.

27BB1277-4796-4487-8FF3-539A8196E175.jpeg

Lovely bass! I think that and the buttercream are the 2 best colour options in the Player series

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Lovely bass! I think that and the buttercream are the 2 best colour options in the Player series

Yeah its a limited run in Ocean Turquoise they did a couple of years ago, not to be confused with Tidepool which is TOTALLY different 😅.

Would definitely consider a player jazz bass in buttercream, its a lovely colour.