Why become a member? ×

Fender AV II 54 & 60 Precision plus AV II 66 Jazz.

MungoBass

I have just spotted these new releases on the Thomann website (sorry my IT skills have disappeared today, so no link) and they look rather tasty. Available in some nice colours and the Jazz looks great with the period correct lollipop tuners and bound ‘board.

I don’t recall seeing an original style Fender P before apart from Custom Shop and Japanese versions.

Has anybody played any of this range yet? 

2 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

A mate showed me these earlier, looks like they only just came out officially, maybe even today. 

I guess you mean the 54 PB? First I’ve seen in a US reissue, looks great to me. Nice to a see a slab board 60 PB. 

Yes, by original style I was meaning 54. I like the look of it too!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Ah yeah, I didn’t notice the American vintage II 👍

I have just had an email from Fender announcing them, so defo new!

They are also doing some weird short scale six strings.......ah.....for gitards....sorry!

10 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

While I'm sure they're great basses I can't help but wonder how often Fender can keep harking back to the past to dictate their product lines. How many variations on these particular themes can there before they admit they've effectively run out of ideas?

Was speaking to a GuitarGuitar Glasgow guy on Sunday. I was looking at the PRS Mayer Silver Sky and he said 'they are selling really well'. I asked "What went wrong with Fender and him?"
His reply was "They are trapped in tradition. A bit scared to break the link with their reputation." He wasn't 'slagging' them, just pointing out a fact IMHO.

2 minutes ago, merello said:

Was speaking to a GuitarGuitar Glasgow guy on Sunday. I was looking at the PRS Mayer Silver Sky and he said 'they are selling really well'. I asked "What went wrong with Fender and him?"
His reply was "They are trapped in tradition. A bit scared to break the link with their reputation." He wasn't 'slagging' them, just pointing out a fact IMHO.

I suspect it's only a matter of time before we see an Acoustasonic range of basses.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, asingardenof said:

While I'm sure they're great basses I can't help but wonder how often Fender can keep harking back to the past to dictate their product lines. How many variations on these particular themes can there before they admit they've effectively run out of ideas?

They get absolutely slated every time they try anything new or different. 

Realistically Fender have two bass products & fortunately for them they're the two basses all players really should have.

The wider buying public are generally quite conservative, so unsurprising they often release the same colours - past performance probably tells them that's where the money is. 

I do agree it's kind of pointless that they keep rereleasing the same product though, I'd much prefer them to move to a pull model rather than push, make everything available and let customers order whatever heritage items they want but change in work flows and investment required would be massive.

I'm really happy that Fender have released these, they look lovely but I do also get what people are saying about it being nothing new. My regret is Fender still haven't released or even offer an standard/vintage unlined fretless Precision or Jazz. Oh well, that is life. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lw. said:

They get absolutely slated every time they try anything new or different. 

Realistically Fender have two bass products & fortunately for them they're the two basses all players really should have.

The Fender buying public are generally quite conservative, so unsurprising they often release the same colours - past performance probably tells them that's where the money is. 

I do agree it's kind of pointless that they keep rereleasing the same product though, I'd much prefer them to move to a pull model rather than push, make everything available and let customers order whatever heritage items they want but change in work flows and investment required would be massive.

Fixed :)

4 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I'm really happy that Fender have released these, they look lovely but I do also get what people are saying about it being nothing new. My regret is Fender still haven't released or even offer an standard/vintage unlined fretless Precision or Jazz. Oh well, that is life. 

The unlined fretless P with a maple board can be the 1978 reissue. Entire new product line made of really heavy woods and with the quirky logos they had at the time! Jackpot. In all seriousness unlined fretless Fenders would be cool.

Working for Fender product development must be easy. Need a new product lads, pass me some of our old catalogues and a thesaurus so I can find alternatives to elite, ultra, professional, etc. 

Edited by uk_lefty

There were some unlined fretless Fenders from the Japanese line in the '80s/'90s; at least the jazz bass special and the jazz bass standard.

An unlined fretless precision with maple fretboard as a reissue would be cool, but maybe more relevant in the Mexican or japanese range. As the originals are not that expensive usually, and probably cheaper than the reissues.

• Like 1