Why become a member? ×

If you had an itchy bum at night., right ..

xilddx

Only would be worth it if it was a joke band like Spinal Tap - and only then if the bass player managed to not smash the bass up at all but only injure him/herself (note I am not volunteering for this job)!!

It reminds me of when I saw Blur playing in 1992 (rollercoaster tour) - up to that time I thought they were quite good, but Damon Albarn was a complete idiot in that show - the most hilarious part being when he tried to push a stack of cabs over, and a roadie came in from stage right and pushed the cabs back in the opposite direction - pure comedy genius!

edit:

Here is a hilarious guitarist-thinking-of-smashing-her-guitar-then-deciding-not-to video from my friend's band....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XgDSll7A3M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XgDSll7A3M[/url]

James

Edited by jmstone

Why not ?

if you are in a high energy punk / thrash band , the mosh pit is full and everyone is frantic then go for it if you think it fits the performance.
Why is it crass and setting a bad example ? its your gear to do as you please with. May not be very fitting with an MOR / AOR or Jazz set but then everyone will be sat down at those gigs (audience will be too old to stand for any amount of time) so not very apt in that instance.
People attach themselves too much to possessions and in a way smashing things up makes a positive statement that these things are transient and unimportant in the greater scheme of things.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='467312' date='Apr 20 2009, 11:18 AM']Why not ?

if you are in a high energy punk / thrash band , the mosh pit is full and everyone is frantic then go for it if you think it fits the performance.
Why is it crass and setting a bad example ? its your gear to do as you please with. May not be very fitting with an MOR / AOR or Jazz set but then everyone will be sat down at those gigs (audience will be too old to stand for any amount of time) so not very apt in that instance.
People attach themselves too much to possessions and in a way smashing things up makes a positive statement that these things are transient and unimportant in the greater scheme of things.[/quote]
I look forward to seeing pictures from your next gig and your smashed up bass.... :)

[quote name='Prosebass' post='467312' date='Apr 20 2009, 11:18 AM']Why not ?

People attach themselves too much to possessions and in a way smashing things up makes a positive statement that these things are transient and unimportant in the greater scheme of things.[/quote]

IMO, the reason it's crass is it almost always looks unintentionally hilarious (any of the times I have seen it), and really something of the past.

The comment about audiences being too old to stand up is a bit off too - after all, it was that generation that started the smashing of guitars in the first place!

James

[quote name='jmstone' post='467294' date='Apr 20 2009, 10:53 AM']Only would be worth it if it was a joke band like Spinal Tap - and only then if the bass player managed to not smash the bass up at all but only injure him/herself (note I am not volunteering for this job)!![/quote]

On a Nirvana vid I once watched, they all trashed everything at the end of gigs and I remember at one point Krist Novoselic threw the body of Kurt's guitar into the air and tried to hit it with his bass (baseball style), missed and it smacked him on the head. How I laughed.

I would never do it [not even to a warwick :) ]

I saw the who and ritchie blackmore on a number of occasions and what they did do was pretty contrived.
Blackmore pushed stacks of empty Marshalls over, and Townsend swapped guitars for the last number putting down his Rickenbacker and using a Tele or a Strat, or as they did in the us a cheap vox copy.

Theres no doubt in 1966 people used to come and see them just to see if they did trash gear, but its all done to death now.

Even Hendrix spraying his guitar with lighter fuel is pretty crass to me

I guess you could say I put on a passionate performance and often get lost in the moment especially at the end of a long set (last big gig, I passed out in the backstage area due to exhaustion straight after coming off stage - can't even remember playing the last song). Not so long ago I kicked my bass in the neck a few times as part of the "final chord cacophony". It took me a day or two to pluck up the courage to see what damage I'd done - thankfully nothing. If you knew me and knew how well I look after my gear you understand how these spontaneous "posturing f*ckwit" episodes totally run against the grain. Planning to do it (unless for comedy value) is crap.
I've never smashed a guitar and probably never will but I can't rule it out. We'll just have to see what happens.

I've often thought about clunking it round the head of an annoying punter though. :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='467569' date='Apr 20 2009, 03:56 PM']Not happening with me. Ever. I can safely say with all certainty I will never smash up an instrument on stage.[/quote]

Same here, - but I'm often tempted to take an axe to the drumkit, keyboards, lead guitar stack and the single-helix mutant on the PA desk :)

Not sure I could part with my precious instruments in such a horrific way!!

Checked the box 'frankly obscene' but would also consider getting rid of my older bass by giving it to an up-and-coming player / charity (perhaps)

But that's just me :)

[quote name='Hamster' post='467571' date='Apr 20 2009, 04:00 PM']Same here, - but I'm often tempted to take an axe to the drumkit, keyboards, lead guitar stack and the single-helix mutant on the PA desk :)[/quote]

I might change the axing order but otherwise I agree

Went to a Malmsteen gig a few years ago(Schenker had a strop and didn't turn up!)
Anyway Yngwie threw the body of one of his cheapy strats into the crowd.
It just missed my head but me &my friend got it.
My friend got a lot of criticism when he tried to sell it to Malmsteen fans.
I think he still has it... :)

Ok, interesting, basschat got this stuff covered.

Test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, test gone wrong, etc.

Sorry .. I've been a complete arse :)

Here are the poll results as of about half an hour ago ..

Edited by silddx