Why become a member? ×

Ugly Basses

Rib13Bass

3 hours ago, Tim2291 said:

A jazz bass is like a Volvo. They are a good tool in most circumstances, but about as exciting as watching paint dry.

I own and jazz bass and a Volvo.... :)

Edited by dclaassen
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tim2291 said:

And both are very good, but unlikely to get the blood pumping! I have a Jazz bass, not gone Volvo yet but I do have a VW Jetta, does that count?

Probably....and both Volvo and Jazz bass are supremely good at reliably getting you where you need to go, every time, for year after year...lots to be said for that. 

If I want excitement, I will grab one of my 5's......:)

• Like 1

It’s been some years since I’ve owned a Jazz Bass , but this has been described as a Jazz on steroids.

They’re not common , but they’re out there.

After some years of looking at them for sale everywhere but Canada , finally found one in Toronto for a good price.

14F2454D-4BC0-448C-BB30-889FC667A40A.jpeg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, msb said:

It’s been some years since I’ve owned a Jazz Bass , but this has been described as a Jazz on steroids.

After some years of looking at them for sale everywhere but Canada , finally found one in Toronto for a good price.

This is jazz bass without arms, legs and head. This is ugly.

Edited by nilorius

41 minutes ago, msb said:

Now I like that. The body is upside down, but it works. Not too quirky but different. 

49 minutes ago, msb said:

I really like them. I'd have one. 

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

Yup.  They leave me utterly cold.

Same here. I can walk around NAMM all day and barely even notice 95% of the FSOs. I wouldn't necessarily call them ugly though, just a bit boring. And as others have mentioned, safe and boring has its definite place.

As far as what I do like, a proper upright bass looks worlds better to me than any bass guitar ever has or ever will. No paint, no plastic...ah, so nice!

Edited by Passinwind

4 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

Same here. I can walk around NAMM all day and barely even notice 95% of the FSOs. I wouldn't necessarily call them ugly though, just a bit boring. Andf as other have mentioned, safe and boring has its definite place.

As far as what I do like, a proper upright bass looks worlds better to me than any bass guitar ever has or ever will. No paint, no plastic...ah, so nice!

Nah, it's just a big violin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

This is jazz bass without arms, legs and head. This is ugly.

The design goes back to the late 60’s , called the Flying Samurai. One of the earliest bass designs by Yamaha , although the one I have was from a small reissue run just over twenty years ago. A friend calls it the ultimate Japanese surf bass.

I’ve been known to occasionally play surf music.

Truth is , it’s not heavy , nicely balanced , and has a bit more balls than your usual Jazz Bass. The pickup spacing is very close to Jazz specs , and it has the typical VVT setup. The neck is very comfy , nice taper.

It’s a great bass. It always gets a lot of compliments. And frequent offers to buy it.

3 minutes ago, msb said:

The design goes back to the late 60’s , called the Flying Samurai. One of the earliest bass designs by Yamaha , although the one I have was from a small reissue run just over twenty years ago. A friend calls it the ultimate Japanese surf bass.

I’ve been known to occasionally play surf music.

Truth is , it’s not heavy , nicely balanced , and has a bit more balls than your usual Jazz Bass. The pickup spacing is very close to Jazz specs , and it has the typical VVT setup. The neck is very comfy , nice taper.

It’s a great bass. It always gets a lot of compliments. And frequent offers to buy it.

Let's vote !

• Haha 1

Dr Who used the guitar version.

… and there was a run on them.  Now they’re hard to find again.

They look like an upside down Rickenbacker with a hockey stick headstock. (and I say that in a good way)

It seems like any time I take it out and play it in a bar somebody offers to buy it. 
I’m hanging on to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Several people will don't it like neither bass or guitar.

Umm.. come again? 

I meant I know 3 or 4 people who have one of those in its guitar form - I am not sure on the exact number as I am not sure if they still have them.

I played one, it was good.

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Umm.. come again? 

I meant I know 3 or 4 people who have one of those in its guitar form - I am not sure on the exact number as I am not sure if they still have them.

I played one, it was good.

Yeah. So be happy!

Edited by nilorius

Aria-Sb1000-Bass-Naked-Project-With-Phallic-Brass.jpg.cebd2006899a5c03ebc600443804fab1.jpg

This was the advert:

"ARIA SB1000 BASS NAKED PROJECT WITH PHALLIC BRASS APPENDAGE AND FUNNY STORY .
I BOUGHT THIS BASS SOME YEARS BACK FROM A COCKNEY SPARROW / ESSEX GIRL IN BIRDS OF A FEATHER COUNTRY
SHE SAID HER FATHER WAS A FURNITURE MAKER IN SOHO LONDON
WHEN A BASS PLAYER FROM THE FACES BOUGHT THIS BASS TO HIM AND REQUESTED MODIFICATIONS SUCH AS ADDING A LONG BRASS TUBE WITH A STRAP PIN ON THE END
PRESUMABLY FOR ERGONOMIC REASONS
ANYWAY HE NEVER RETURNED
SO SHE INHERITED IT SEVERAL DECADES LATER..."

• Sad 1