Why become a member? ×

Ugly Basses

Rib13Bass

1 hour ago, Tim2291 said:

I'm not gonna make any friends saying this... but Rickenbackers are truly hideous! At a retail price of £5499 for this 90th anniversary 4005XC I would be getting a doctor to check for signs of insanity if I saw someone buy one!

rickenbacker-limited-edition-90th-anniversary-4005xc-bass-amber-fireglo-front.jpg

rickenbacker-limited-edition-90th-anniversary-4005xc-bass-amber-fireglo-front[2].jpg

Not ugly, but very primitive and too much money.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sorry Tim maybe just the way i worded it but i was comparing a 4003 to a £2k Fender. Not the hideous 4005 at £5.5k. 

No way i would pay over £5k for any bass let alone a Ric.

Unless you are an absolute Ric fanatic, who is gonna spend that on a Ric bass. ?

Maybe a Ric collector with lots of money ?

Not me.

Dave

No problem, even so the Ric is great at being a Ric, but it's fairly limited on what you can do with it, Jass bass, whilst boring, has been used on so many recordings it makes it more versatile. If i'm honest, I probably wouldn't take a £2000 guitar to a gig either way though, I'd much rather stick with my MIM Jazz and not worry!

I guess if you were a serious collector/investor, a special edition is probably the one you'd buy, and it would then sit in a cupboard for 40 years until it's worth even more!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Have to agree that the Ric 4005 isn't a bass i like the look off but i am a fan of the 4003 shape.

I've not owned a Ric since 80's but i'm guessing they are still as good if not better quality than many Fender basses at same price tag.

They have their problems like the fender ones, but I assume they are probably on balance working out the same.

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

On the subject of Ric basses i was surprised to see them For Sale again on BC. When did that happen ?

January this year - in site news

1 hour ago, Tim2291 said:

The Ric is £5500, and lets be fair, limits the user on the gigs they can play. An american Jazz bass is around £2000 which is still far too much for such a standard instrument

I don't think that is a fair comparison as that is a special edition, so it is more in a comparison to something like this:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-custom-shop-75-jazz-bass-in-black-over-aged-3-tone-sunburst-heavy-relic

which is a beaten up jazz for the same sort of money. I don't think these things are designed to play, they are designed to be hung on the wall somewhere.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't think that is a fair comparison as that is a special edition, so it is more in a comparison to something like this:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-custom-shop-75-jazz-bass-in-black-over-aged-3-tone-sunburst-heavy-relic

which is a beaten up jazz for the same sort of money. I don't think these things are designed to play, they are designed to be hung on the wall somewhere.

Completely agree, buying either would be ridiculous, neither look nice in my opinion. I know both USA Fenders and Rickenbackers are great quality wise. But I personally would struggle to justify spending that kind of money when the Mexican fenders exist at a far lower price. Granted quality isn't as good, but replace the bridge, give it a good set up and maybe a rewire and you're laughing!

29 minutes ago, Tim2291 said:

For 5 grand i'd want the decorative tailpiece to be solid gold. 

For 5 grand I'd want a chauffeur-driven limo to a 5 star restaurant for lunch, where the bass would be presented to me by Keira Knightley.

• Haha 2

I love a nice Ric. I have a couple of older ones. If you spend the time on one they can become wonderful. They feel like home.

Would have bought that XC model in a minute if I had more disposable income. I thought it was gorgeous , and I know why they didn’t use the R tailpiece. And when you look at the price vintage 4005 basses sell at the price isn’t bad , it’s around what most US companies charge for limited custom runs.

People once complained that Rickenbacker never made anything new. And people complain if they do.
I’d lose it if they make a short scale bass based on Lennon’s 325 using a 350 body.  
Rics are not copies of Fender style instruments. Some love them for exactly what they are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msb said:

I love a nice Ric. I have a couple of older ones. If you spend the time on one they can become wonderful. They feel like home.

Would have bought that XC model in a minute if I had more disposable income. I thought it was gorgeous , and I know why they didn’t use the R tailpiece. And when you look at the price vintage 4005 basses sell at the price isn’t bad , it’s around what most US companies charge for limited custom runs.

People once complained that Rickenbacker never made anything new. And people complain if they do.
I’d lose it if they make a short scale bass based on Lennon’s 325 using a 350 body.  
Rics are not copies of Fender style instruments. Some love them for exactly what they are.

Yup. I'd take a Rik over a Fender any day. But I wouldn't pay the over inflated price for either of them. 

I found reasonable deals on the two I have , a 4000 and 4001 . I spent years (pre internet days) looking for a 4001 , they were not all that common around Halifax , although there’s many , many more around now. Eventually found one in Toronto.
At first my 4001 felt different , I was an old Pbass guy , but the thin neck with little taper quickly became very comfortable , the binding didn’t bother me , and once I set the neck and everything to my set up preferences I found the bass incredibly stable. It quickly became my go to bass , and was for a good number of years. These days I mostly play short scales , when I do pick up a Ric I immediately remember why I used them so much.

I love the feel.

Edited by msb

MusicMan Basses look ugly to me, the Bongo looks like a toilet seat and the Stingray control plate looks jarringly out of place the way it dosn't align with the pickguard.

Saying that though, some Stingrays have a larger pickguard instead of separate control planel and there is a Sterling Stingray that does that along with my favorite finish (dark purple sparkle!) https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/220112379376008--music-man-sterling-stringray-ray35-purple-sparkle-rosewood-fing?gclid=CjwKCAjws--ZBhAXEiwAv-RNL1cJJH_b7EJrF3-Y3DXYqSyO68DGNJestZUApk-xB1y6Ovl1AjqNGxoCn0gQAvD_BwE on looks alone I'm quite keen to get it. So I guess it's a bit of a love/hate thing.

I quite like the classic style of a Sunburst + Tort Precision Bass, there is something warm and comforting and conservative about it. It seems the equivilant to an old tatty Chesterfield in a smokey dark corner of a 70s snooker club with sticky floor and a stale beer and whisky smell to it.....not sure that's always such a good thing though, sometimes sparkly purple funk seems more fun!

3 hours ago, Tim2291 said:

For 5 grand i'd want the decorative tailpiece to be solid gold. 

3 hours ago, Rich said:

For 5 grand I'd want a chauffeur-driven limo to a 5 star restaurant for lunch, where the bass would be presented to me by Keira Knightley.

I'm clearly easily pleased, but I'd just like to point out that short of lottery winning, I would not spend 5 grand on any bass.  I'm just not worth it, my bass playing (both in terms of ability and level of involvement) isn't worth it and frankly I don't think any bass is worth that.

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I get a 50/50 split of hate/love for my Shuker fretless.

Some people seem to think it's the most incredibly beautiful bass they have ever seen, and yet others say it's truly hideous and an affront to their senses.

Certainly seems some think it's ugly but others not at all...

IMG_3546.jpeg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Some people seem to think it's the most incredibly beautiful bass they have ever seen, and yet others say it's truly hideous and an affront to their senses.

IMG_3546.jpeg

It's great !!!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tim2291 said:

No problem, even so the Ric is great at being a Ric, but it's fairly limited on what you can do with it, Jass bass, whilst boring, has been used on so many recordings it makes it more versatile. If i'm honest, I probably wouldn't take a £2000 guitar to a gig either way though, I'd much rather stick with my MIM Jazz and not worry!

I guess if you were a serious collector/investor, a special edition is probably the one you'd buy, and it would then sit in a cupboard for 40 years until it's worth even more!

I generally wont gig a bass over £1k. At moment i'm using a Sandberg MarloweDK (2nd hand) that i just love and my MIM Vintera P bass that is just a nice warm tone.

I was using my Sandberg VM4 for Glam rock band but recent rehearsals the P bass just seemed to work better.

I currently have 2 basses i wont take out house except for studio recording when asked by friends. Overwater Custom 6er fretless and a Warwick Thumb NT 1989 i've had since new.

Everything else i own is circa £1k or under.

Dave

3 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

IMG_3546.jpeg

My god, how could anyone find this piece of art ugly?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

IMG_3546.jpeg

Personally I find the uberhorns the nicest looking basses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

IMG_3546.jpeg

This isn't the thread for it of course, but are there any more pics of this bass on the site? I've only ever seen that one. I'd love to see more as that is just stunning

" owned by a professional who looked after it..."

Too ashamed to take it out more like. I'm having problems finding any redeeming features TBH. 

Make your own mind up...

Please view this ad:

Custom through neck electric bass guitar di marzio kent armstrong pick,
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/custom-through-neck-electric-bass-guitar-di-marzio-kent-armstrong-pick/1443321609

Price: £ 350

Edited by TheGreek

12 hours ago, Tim2291 said:

I'm not gonna make any friends saying this... but Rickenbackers are truly hideous! At a retail price of £5499 for this 90th anniversary 4005XC I would be getting a doctor to check for signs of insanity if I saw someone buy one!

rickenbacker-limited-edition-90th-anniversary-4005xc-bass-amber-fireglo-front.jpg

rickenbacker-limited-edition-90th-anniversary-4005xc-bass-amber-fireglo-front[2].jpg

That looks deeply unpleasant, as does that price tag.

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

" owned by a professional who looked after it..."

Too ashamed to take it out more like. I'm having problems finding any redeeming features TBH. 

Make your own mind up...

Please view this ad:

Custom through neck electric bass guitar di marzio kent armstrong pick,
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/custom-through-neck-electric-bass-guitar-di-marzio-kent-armstrong-pick/1443321609

Price: £ 350

I find it OK Not the nicest bass i've ever seen but at that price it would do as a back up bass assuming it plays well.

I might change the white knob to black tho.

Dave