Why become a member? ×

Sound for Queen's funeral and similar

Nail Soup

I had the Queen's funeral and procession etc on TV, and couldn't help thinking that the bass drum was mixed a bit high, a bit like modern sound engineers do at rock gigs.

But it got me thinking, how is the sound done for music at events like this? For example it has static performances at the church - organ, choir and audience, but also a marching band.

Anybody have any insights to how it is done?

I wondered myself about the sound  and how they maintained the levels, even the wife who doesn't normally ask about sound asked about the sound levels!

It was done in spectacular good taste I thought, a fitting send off and a spectacle that people will remember for a very long time... I was fascinated by the whole choreography of the pall bearers! When I go I now want that level of detail and perfection 😇

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

A highlight for me was when a lone piper was playing in the gallery and then walked away while still playing.... the sound gradually faded to nothing. Very poignant and symbolic of a departed person.

Apparently the royal piper used to play for 15 mins outside her window every morning to wake her up for most of her reign 

• Like 1

I was wondering about the sound for the marching band too. If they'd just had an array of fixed microphones and blended them all together, there would have been a right mish-mash of sound as the more distant mics picked up the sound later than the closer mics. I wondered if they had an array of mics and somebody operating a mixer, maintaining a volume level on one mic and then when there was no delay between that mic and the next one, blending the next one in and fading the previous one out. Maybe I'm overthinking it and they just had somebody with a mic walking close by the band but not in the procession. Or maybe they were miming.

The bit I watched had a few really interesting moments where the pipers faded out and there was a snare solo which then faded in to phased echoes as from the surrounding buildings. All nicely done. Helped me appreciate it as a piece of experimental theatre.

Sounds like a mix of placed mics along the route with travelling mics, dynamically mixed as required.

The church sound was glorious. I definitely want a choir and horns for my funeral. So much better than the fumbled hymn singing at most that I've been to.

• Like 1