Why become a member? ×

Doesn't the fact loads of young kids on YT are nailing it...

Barking Spiders

9 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

I think it's a bit unfair (and unkind) to look down your nose at cover bands. Growing up in the States, almost every band was a cover band, and originals bands only played to a very few, usually uninterested, souls. I think they are two different animals, both very valid. Cover bands love to perform together and get the crowd moving. I think originals bands a bit more serious and are looking for a different type of validation. 

If that was aimed, at me, it was never my intention to look down my nose at covers bands. In fact when I joined my first band in the 70s I was completely unaware that such bands even existed. My knowledge of pop/rock was listening to Radio 1 and seeing bands on TotP and TOGWT where all the bands I liked played songs they had written themselves and everyone else appeared to have their "hits" written specifically for them. In the absence of having our own hit song writing team ready to feed us their latest creations, there was no alternative but to write ourselves.

And if "originals" bands can't find an audience, then IMO they are simply not entertaining enough. I've done covers bands and have discovered that it's not for me either as an audience member or a musician. I can't help but feel that even for the best covers band I've been in, our audience would have been better served with a good DJ. There is IMO nothing special about live music in itself, whoever wrote the songs. Of course it probably didn't help that my longest stint in a decent covers band also co-incided with joining what has probably been my most successful originals band. The originals band did more gigs, was more popular, and actually put out records, and while neither band made me any significant money the originals band was just about self-sufficient where the gigs and merch sales paid for our outgoings, whist the covers band despite having a rehearsal space that was essentially free always seemed to require another "upgrade" to the PA that would swallow up anything we earned from gigs. In the end after one gig conflict for both bands I quit the covers band, because for me it simply wasn't enough "fun" to be worth the hassle.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Playing music shouldn't become a competition! Both girls are very talented. I appreciate when kids discover their passions from an early age. It's even more beautiful when they are supported by their parents. Relatives involvement and encouragement play important roles. After becoming a foster parent, I understood how does it feel when your kid has success. The guys from https://fosterplus.org/what-it-takes encouraged me to give our daughter at piano lessons. She was artistic and had strong abilities. So I didn't hesitate and now I don't regret my decision.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2022 at 10:41, Rich said:

Absolutely 1000%. This has always been my reaction to any 'top 10' or 'GOAT' list. Music's not a competition, it's a way of life. 

I agree though that it's going to be very exciting when some of these kids a} start finding their own voice and techniques, and b} start composing.

I would go as far as saying music is a language, it a way of communicating or talking to other through music and I know that I would personally prefer listening to someone speak to me through music than listen to a lot of what people say with their mouth.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

All it tells me is that "R&R" is dead. Makes me cringe in the big stores, mum and dad choosing a Marshall stack for little Toby.....R&R was dangerous, nasty, your folks were supposed to be scared of it (mine certainly were)....No wonder it all sounds like crap today... the vibe is dead ...Now days your mum and granny think your cute as you smash up the Strat they bought you for Xmas.....Weird...,.just weird.

On 06/01/2023 at 20:49, Linus27 said:

I would go as far as saying music is a language, it a way of communicating or talking to other through music and I know that I would personally prefer listening to someone speak to me through music than listen to a lot of what people say with their mouth.

If music is a language, does that mean than those who can not read music are illiterate?

26 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

If music is a language, does that mean than those who can not read music are illiterate?

No as you can understand a language and not necessarily be able to write it. Toddlers and children can understand and say words at a young age but not be capable of reading or writing them and those who are dyslexic can have perfectly great communication skills but not necessarily be able to spell or read as well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

The dictionary says illiterate is "unable to read or write" so in a musical sense yes. But like many people who are illiterate in the traditional sense they can still successfully communicate to others audibly.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2022 at 17:45, msb said:

Much of learning an instrument is repetition and practice, developing a muscle memory, and I see the time and work that’s involved in getting there.

Playing simple scales can be an art form. You can make them fun , and even exciting. I would never discourage good technique.

Hang on a minute we are bass players. If we stray from the root notes we get told off by the guitarist or keyboardist who feel threatened that we might actually have some skill hiding in our clumsy big hands.

I love the major scales. All those lovely notes to be used up between the root notes he says with an insane looking gleam in his eyes 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 13/09/2022 at 10:41, Rich said:

Absolutely 1000%. This has always been my reaction to any 'top 10' or 'GOAT' list. Music's not a competition, it's a way of life. 

I agree though that it's going to be very exciting when some of these kids a} start finding their own voice and techniques, and b} start composing.

Further to this ^^^ I would like to add that seeing music as a competition also leads to not sharing and helping fellow musicians by refusing to show them how to play said piece of what would appear to be a startlingly difficult piece of music when actually it’s easier than it sounds. 
I have certainly been guilty of this in the past I am ashamed to say. 

It is a lot easier these days to find lessons on facetube of how to etc etc than in my day, although I still do it the old fashioned way just by listening to the music. 

It may be pushy parents but in the case of Ellen plays bass, which my 2 yo absolutely loves, it is clear that she thoroughly enjoys what she does and the advancement of her playing from the early videos to now is astounding and for me an absolute pleasure to witness. I hope she continues with the same enthusiasm and goes on to have a fabulous career in the way Nathan East has. 

• Like 2

On 13/09/2022 at 14:35, msb said:

There’s some amazing clips of fairly young players with great feel , and a joy in playing , she’s a bit busy here but the sense of sheer fun is infectious.

That’s outstanding, rare combination very technical, very busy, and very musical 👍

On 04/02/2023 at 00:13, MacDaddy said:

The great Protestant movement of the 16th century was led by those who wanted the Bible written in tab.

• Haha 1