Why become a member? ×

John Taylor Signature Dingwall Combustion

Napalmnun

11 hours ago, iconic said:

Funny, many think of his Aria days but he was/is a Peavey player for far longer😎

Maybe, but by then Duran Duran were less popular, so the Aria is the bass he's best known for.

Remember also that he's playing a Rickenbacker in the Planet Earth video...

• 3 months later...

Thanks. Interesting video. However, Sheldon got some details wrong. Rio was Duran Duran’s second album, not their first (that was “Duran Duran”, released a year earlier in 1981). Second, John Taylor was not 17 when he recorded his basslines for Rio but 21 ½. Third, Queen Elizabeth II did not “have a Neve PA system” but Rupert Neve “provided public address for Princess (later Queen) Elizabeth II at the reopening of St Andrews church” (see Rupert Neve Designs website).

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, wavemaker said:

That’s the first time this bass is shown to have an AB bridge… which I‘d love to see on combustions, even though this is an all-out signature model. Intriguing. 

Indeed!

And seems that the production bass has an ebony (or phenolic) fretboard

3 hours ago, wavemaker said:

That’s the first time this bass is shown to have an AB bridge… which I‘d love to see on combustions, even though this is an all-out signature model. Intriguing. 

There has been talk of this bridge becoming the new standard and it being available for retrofit to existing Combustion/NG/D-Rocs. I emailed Bass Direct a while ago to see if I could get on a waiting list. They're saying they've heard nothing from Dingwall so far, or are keeping shtum. I'm hoping for a NAMM release 🤞🤞🤞

Just now, MichaelDean said:

There has been talk of this bridge becoming the new standard and it being available for retrofit to existing Combustion/NG/D-Rocs. I emailed Bass Direct a while ago to see if I could get on a waiting list. They're saying they've heard nothing from Dingwall so far, or are keeping shtum. I'm hoping for a NAMM release 🤞🤞🤞

I contacted them this morning and there’s no update.

• Like 1

Shame about the stripes, that would have been realllly tasty without those, which are a little distracting.

Still, cool bass to own, chinese Dingwalls have gone a bit bonkers price wise, but then again what hasn't...

Having looked at the sales/launch bumf, it seems only the Rio colourway is limited to 82 pieces? And that the seafoam, white and black ones will be general production? (Unless I'm mistaken).

Edited by 40hz

5 minutes ago, 40hz said:

Having looked at the sales/launch bumf, it seems only the Rio colourway is limited to 82 pieces? And that the seafoam, white and black ones will be general production? (Unless I'm mistaken).

Would make sense as Rio was released in 82, so it makes sense to limit the Rio bass to 82 pieces. There is no 82 connection to the other finishes. 

The bass will came in 82 pieces Limited Edition with Rio graphics, fancy inlay at 12th fret, custom wall hanger, Hipshot Xtender, custom case and string package.

The standard unlimited production is black, vintage white and seafoam green, without all the cool stuff, and will be put in production later.

13 minutes ago, 40hz said:

What is it about 80 ish limited runs, very Ernie Ball😉