Why become a member? ×

Pro bassists using budget gear

SteveXFR

2 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

Fashion? Following the heard? If so and so was given a ****** bass by the factory for free they must be good?

Therefore I have to have one because I want to be like them.

Then again sometimes it is just plain attractive or built with attention to detail.

Example When a multi part body or neck is built from several different timbers but you run your eyes and fingers over it and it looks and feels like a photograph.

You then pick it up and put it on and it's sits at a perfect playing position FOR YOU!

(Then the joke bit)

Then you plug it in and it sounds awful so you quickly take it off and buy the one that looks like a cricket bat fitted with strings.

Believe me when I wrote this earlier I had never seen this.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Risa-Uke-Solid-Soprano-Electric-Ukulele-Natural/1YS7

I am shocked. Gear4music must have me bugged lol

I struggle to call myself professional as my main income definitely doesn’t come from music. On Saturday we’re flying out to Finland to play on a rock Cruise to Sweden, we’re on just before Michael Schenker. Back line is obviously supplied but I’ll be taking my Ibanez TMB30 (short scale) and Zoom B1 Four X. I rehearsed with the Ibanez last night and to be honest I’ve no problem at all gigging with it. I’ve replaced the pickups with SD QP’s and put a high mass bridge on it, but could easily have gigged it bog standard. I normally use a Zoom B3n for gigs, only because it’s a bit easier to switch between patches, but the B four has the same sounds and with a bit of careful programming does the same job. When I’m gigging in the UK I normally use a Bugera Veyron 1001T head. I’ve got the choice of that, an Ashdown, several Traces, a Peavey all valve job,a GK and a Markbass. The Bugera knocks ‘em all out of the water, I’d say for an amp it’s Budget price. I must admit, bass wise, I normally gig in the UK with something a bit classier, but the Ibanez usually comes out as my spare. If it gets lost in the baggage system at Heathrow I’m not gonna be having nightmares over a lost Rickenbacker!!

9 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Not necessarily budget gear, but after years of gigging US Fenders I’m now gigging a Mexican Fender. Ok I’ve made a few changes to it, tuners/bridge/nut/string-retainer, but these are more for tuning stability than as upgrades. I’ve changed the pickup but again this is more to match the sound of my US ones than as an upgrade. In reality I could have left it stock.

Does Glen Matlock use Mex P's?

2 hours ago, King Tut said:

When I’m gigging in the UK I normally use a Bugera Veyron 1001T head. I’ve got the choice of that, an Ashdown, several Traces, a Peavey all valve job,a GK and a Markbass. The Bugera knocks ‘em all out of the water, 

Does the Veyron match the valve amps for dirty overdriven tones or is it just clean?

16 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Does the Veyron match the valve amps for dirty overdriven tones or is it just clean?

Well I wouldn’t use it for a proper overdrive sound but it does have that nice warm valvey break up if you have the gain so the pre is just clipping. To be fair I could probably get a tone I’m happier with, with the Peavey if I spent some time with it but the weight means it just stays at home

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

I saw a video on YouTube recently, with Ron Thorn, one of Fender's master builders. He said that out of his collection of guitars, his favourite is a '95 (I think) Squier.

Wasn't a Pro tone was it? Those guitars embody the 90s hit and miss thing. If you were lucky you'd get a single piece body, well finished, and everything else was what you'd expect from a top of the range guitar. Others were basically made out of off cuts glued together :)

37 minutes ago, AntLockyer said:

Wasn't a Pro tone was it? Those guitars embody the 90s hit and miss thing. If you were lucky you'd get a single piece body, well finished, and everything else was what you'd expect from a top of the range guitar. Others were basically made out of off cuts glued together :)

He didn't say, unfortunately. I've seen a couple of videos with him recently. In this one they gave him a Gibson custom guitar. He seemed to like the finish for the most part but overall looked like he had stepped in some dog's doings 😄. In the other video they asked him to select a favourite Squier from a bunch. He was pretty impressed with them. I'll see if I can find the vids.

Correction, it's an '85

Edited by Crusoe
  • Like 1

On 05/09/2022 at 11:05, MrCrane said:

Jack Casady with the Epiphone JC springs to mind.

I would say the Epiphone Jack Casady is way too expensive to be considered "budget" gear in this context.  Also consider that there is no more expensive option to buy a comparable product new from Gibson so it's the budget version/alternative of... nothing.

4 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Does Glen Matlock use Mex P's?

Yes from recall in Bass Guitar Mag he was interviewed and said that he had his trusty `62 (subsequently stolen) and a Mex Precision which he put a tort plate on and which he did his gigs with. Good enough for a Pistol = good enough for me!

Much of the offshore production has been great . Initially Japan was the source for cheap labour , then Korea , now we’re to Indonesia and China. Being manufactured in Japan does necessarily mean it’s superior to something from China. But we just like to think that if something costs more , it must be better. 
That isn’t always the case.

• Like 2

On 05/09/2022 at 13:13, TimR said:

A high proportion of an audience won't even know the difference between bass, lead and rhythm guitar. 

Even more won't know what brand you're playing. 

And even more won't have a clue how much they cost.

True it was more pre Gig that i noticed i had to spend a few quid on my gear once i was gigging regular

Earth hums ,quiet G strings ,crackly inputs ,bad leads ,bad DI output .etc .

Stuff like a Radial DI box and a Sadowsky bass sorts those issues out in an instant

30 minutes ago, msb said:

Much of the offshore production has been great . Initially Japan was the source for cheap labour , then Korea , now we’re to Indonesia and China. Being manufactured in Japan does necessarily mean it’s superior to something from China. But we just like to think that if something costs more , it must be better. 

Same with anything. Try an Aldi mars bar or a twix and you'll never pay full whack for the brand name again. Let's be fair - we live in a world where folk will pay 60 quid to see a trib band !

Couple of things to note , though. Pay £1200 for a used US Fender and what's it worth the day after ?? I'll tell you. £1200. Buy a cheaper instrument without the magic name on it and you're likely chucking tenners away as you leave the shop. Also a lot of pros are being sponsored. Give me a bunch of  cheapo freebies and I'll use them. Pay me to do it and I'll tell folk they're brilliant !

In any case - what's a budget instrument ?? I'm 60 , you should have seen the state of the copy stuff when I was 16 !! Nowadays you can find a decent quality , playable instrument for nuts. I've a Squier Dimension ( though it's Fender badged for show) . Great instrument and cost me about a weeks shopping bill. Why would I take my 73 Precision into some right Mary Whitehouse full of scrota when the Dimension will do the job ?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, msb said:

True, most of the Korean made stuff in the 90s was crap. A lot of the Japanese stuff that came before it was good if not great. Times however have changed and as I said in a previous post the Chinese Squiers are all pretty much identical and all decent out the box.

17 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

The only people who care about the brand of guitar you’re playing are other musicians. 

I just picked up a Squier Precision Special (matching headstock), and it’s genuinely phenomenal. Needed a few tweaks but it looks great and sounds amazing. It’s genuinely as good as any of the Mex Fenders I’ve had, although I would say that it’s been set up very well and played in.

Music snobs are frightfully dull. 

But the punters stand and say "the sound was a bit muddy " or " i couldnt hear the guitar " etc .Not always the fault of an instrument but the more attention you give stuff the better the chance to sound good .

49 minutes ago, Dr.Dave said:

Also a lot of pros are being sponsored. Give me a bunch of  cheapo freebies and I'll use them. Pay me to do it and I'll tell folk they're brilliant !

A lot of them seem to be using Epiphone or Squier budget instruments. Why would Fender or Gibson choose to sponsor pros with their budget kit? 

11 minutes ago, AntLockyer said:

Because budget kit sells in volume. I have no doubt they spent a lot of money working out what to give endorsees 

That makes a lot of sense. it's accepted that Squier and Epi' are decent instruments and perfectly capable of being used professionally. So if Fender, Gibson, PRS (via their SE models, which are excellent for the money) and others put their value for money offerings in the hands of pro' players, it may well encourage those buying their first instrument (or those whose pockets are not deep) to consider them. If it gets more people playing, I'm all for it.

If someone has a good experience with a Squier, they may well think "I'll get a full-fat Fender" when they have more to spend or wish to upgrade. So it's in the companies' interests to ensure that their budget offerings are as good as they can make them. Again, the consumer wins, so that's good too.

• Like 1