Why become a member? ×

One Cab Solution

stufunkybass

Hi Guys, 

Hope you are all well? 

I am looking at a one cab solution for my rig. 

Currently I have the Genzler 350 watt head and single 12.

I am looking at a 4 ohm 2x10 to get the full power into one cab.

Just looking to see if there is any love for single 2x10 4 ohm cabs out there?

Stu

Probably the only 210 I’d think as being up to it is the Barefaced 210. But to be honest Stu I’d look at getting another of the same 112, assuming it’s 8ohm of course. Not sure about your band or gigs you do but in general I look at most 210s as being just not quite enough. If a single cab is def your intent then in that position I’d be checking out 212s.

• Like 3

I use a 2x10 cabinet, Acme B2, but I always use a pair stacked on their ends for a vertical 4x10.  I find them ideal and stacked thus brings speakers closer to my ears. The dispersion out into the room is better too.

In your place I too would get a second identical 1x12 to stack on top of the one you have now.

I have a 112 and 210 combination , they were designed to be used together , both are 8 ohm loads. If I need volume , or am outdoors I use both , but for many gigs I can easily get by with a single cab. So a modular rig works best for me. 
I’m usually in mid sized rooms , and often not in the PA. I have to fill the room.

17 hours ago, stufunkybass said:

Hi Guys, 

Hope you are all well? 

I am looking at a one cab solution for my rig. 

Just looking to see if there is any love for single 2x10 4 ohm cabs out there?

Stu

Check out Vanderkley MNT 210 which is available in 4ohms. Handles 600W RMS. It's a quality and great sounding cab. 

An additional 8 ohm 1x12 could make good sense as others have mentioned, but I'd suggest only if your existing cab is also 8 ohm and not 4 ohms.

23 hours ago, stufunkybass said:

The notion of using a low impedance load to 'get all the watts out of my amp' is intrinsically flawed. It assumes that what determines how loud you can go is power related. It's not. While power is part of the equation so is the speaker frequency response, sensitivity and cone displacement. There are 8 ohm 1x12s that will go louder than 4 ohm 2x10s, so unless you have the exact specs on your current speaker and any that you're considering, which isn't likely as most manufacturers don't provide them, side by side testing is the only way to know if a change is worthwhile.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

A bit of a generalisation though isn't it?  

As with all things, we have personal preferences and I'd not thank you for one as the tone isn't too my liking.  

Just my 2 cents. I’ve had one for a few years now. I absolutely love it. I play in various different bands. Never lets me down. 
Very clear, flat response. Just EQ it to personal taste. 

On 02/09/2022 at 01:26, msb said:

Usually run my amp around 3 . It’s a Bergantino Forte , so I have a ton of headroom left. 

Is the speaker maxed out at that point? I'm just trying to work out why your current equipment isn't already a one cab solution.

No , I have a ton of headroom. For most gigs my rig is a single cab solution , however I’ve found that sometimes dual cabs are needed. And two smaller 8 ohm cabs are more convenient than a single larger 4 ohm cab.

On 01/09/2022 at 17:32, stufunkybass said:

Can you get a 4 ohm 212 of the same make as your 8 ohm 112? 

As your amp can run at 2.67 ohms, you'll have the option of 112, 212 and 312 rigs.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Can you get a 4 ohm 212 of the same make as your 8 ohm 112? 

As your amp can run at 2.67 ohms, you'll have the option of 112, 212 and 312 rigs.

I did try that exact 312 rig set up recently, but when I combined my 4ohm 212 Berg with my 8ohm 112 BF BB2, I didn't feel the BB2 was adding much to the party - I mean it was a decent (and pricey!) stage monitor, but the Berg was definitely doing the heavy lifting in terms of providing the bulk of the volume, which I guess I could have anticipated.

On 01/09/2022 at 19:32, stufunkybass said:

@Bill Fitzmaurice, if you read his comment carefully, he's after a cab that consumes all the power. Not after the loudness.

I have to say that if there is something where marketing department has succeeded, the "maximum power @ 4 ohms" is one. No one talks about dBs, or sensitivity. Too revealing.

That's up for interpretation, but in any event the thermal power rating doesn't say how much power a cab can actually make use of. It's like asking how bright is a 100 watt light bulb. That all depends. Incandescent? Sodium? Florescent? LED? We can get the real information we need on a two quid light bulb package but not on a speaker that costs upwards of a hundred times or even a thousand times that. 🙄

• Like 3

On 03/09/2022 at 12:57, msb said:

No , I have a ton of headroom. For most gigs my rig is a single cab solution , however I’ve found that sometimes dual cabs are needed. And two smaller 8 ohm cabs are more convenient than a single larger 4 ohm cab.

So you haven't got the same problem as the OP. I'm trying to work out why you assumed I was asking how much volume you were short of, as it was the OP I was trying to elicit that information from. Then it all got confusing.

The answer for the OP is my original question - are you lacking in volume at the moment?

I didn’t realize your question was directed to the OP. 
Now I don’t know if the present cab the OP is using is 4 or 8 ohm . But I would think a Genzler 350 head would pack some serious wallop. It will do a 2.67 ohm load but would probably run better with a two 8 ohm cab 4 ohm load.  You could do a larger cab with a 4 ohm load but I would suggest two smaller 8 ohm cabs might be a better solution. 
Although my head runs more power I’ve found the modular approach works best for me , I get by for 8 out of 10 gigs with a single cab , but it’s nice to have more when it is needed. 
I’ve never had to dime my head.