Why become a member? ×

Importing a bass from the Netherlands

sgh

This gets difficult certain shipping companies inflate the charges they are allowed to charge for collecting the vat etc. This happened to me with an order from Thonman in Germany. No one seemed to be able to or wanted to put it right. Shipping company charged me about £56 to bring in a £135 guitar. Bless thier thilthy black hearts.

If it’s pre owned option 1 is Eurostar to Amsterdam and from there collect the guitar and bring it back yourself as your own property. Option 2, probably the best, is drive to Folkestone put the car on Eurotunnel to Calais and drive up to wherever in the Netherlands it is. Stick it the boot and come home. 
Either one will probably be cheaper and safer in the long run with off peak travel and it’s a nice reasonably quick drive up to Amsterdam. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

If it’s pre owned option 1 is Eurostar to Amsterdam and from there collect the guitar and bring it back yourself as your own property. Option 2, probably the best, is drive to Folkestone put the car on Eurotunnel to Calais and drive up to wherever in the Netherlands it is. Stick it the boot and come home. 
Either one will probably be cheaper and safer in the long run with off peak travel and it’s a nice reasonably quick drive up to Amsterdam. 

As long as it's declared to Customs on return, that's fine. Non-declaration is smuggling, which carries risks. Whether these risks are worthwhile is a matter for each to decide. -_-

Disclaimer : On a recent, rare, visit to Blighty, I brought back in the car a bass, a cab and a hifi amp, bought s/h, mostly before B****t, and French Customs waved us through, so nothing was declared. Just sayin'. :|

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

As long as it's declared to Customs on return, that's fine. Non-declaration is smuggling, which carries risks. Whether these risks are worthwhile is a matter for each to decide. -_-

Disclaimer : On a recent, rare, visit to Blighty, I brought back in the car a bass, a cab and a hifi amp, bought s/h, mostly before B****t, and French Customs waved us through, so nothing was declared. Just sayin'. :|

I’m not condoning illegality just putting forward an option. I’ve never been stopped and asked or had the car even get a sideways glance as I drove off the train at either end. I’ve never had anything to declare anyway. Apart from a few boxes of wine. 

Hmm, thanks for the replies all. Will look into Eurostar I think but even then I'm guessing I may have to passon this as I'd still have the 'chance' of declaring it.

With this option, I'd still have to pay:

bass + import + vat?

Edited by sgh

VAT is charged on everything in a totting up process, so cost plus freight plus duty, then VAT on the total. So cutting out the freight element reduces the overall cost.

Employing a freight carrier, courier or post usually means they include a fee for the customs clearance processes including paying any duties on your behalf, before delivery.

You can of course employ your own customs agent for this, but they are not free either. Unless you are knowledgeable enough to DIY.