Why become a member? ×

Backing Vocals and Harmonisers

Happy Jack

The Question I'm Asked Most Often Is ... "Is that a cello?"

BUT

The question I'm asked most often by other musicians is, "How do you do those harmony vocals?".

There doesn't seem to be a thread anywhere about BVs, so I thought I'd stick this here.

At every live gig with my two main bands, I bring

20220829_113711.thumb.jpg.cf09be14e8cf71bbfeca3ddf1ad6c6c7.jpg

That's a Pedaltrain Nano (plus an extra pedal off to the left) fitted on top with a Diago mains power distribution and underneath with a battery pack that can deliver up to 1A - note the label on the Harmoniser pedal.

The bread and butter end of the board is

20220829_113729.thumb.jpg.4aceb784e74ac32c449fd7472189eee0.jpg

I still rate the red Mic Mechanic as one of the most useful things any vocalist can carry, a genuine Swiss Army Knife of a vocal pedal. 

https://www.tc-helicon.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DDW

The green Duplicator is, essentially, a Mic Mechanic with the Echo function replaced by live ADT, really useful if you need a voice 'thickened up' on stage.

https://www.tc-helicon.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DDX

In The Junkyard Dogs I route lead singer Rick through the Mic Mechanic and drummer/BVs Paul through the Duplicator. In Damo & The Dynamites I route lead singer Damo through the Duplicator and I put my own voice through the Mic Mechanic solely for some subtle pitch correction ... essential (IMHO) if you're going to use a harmoniser of any kind.

Ah yes, the harmoniser. For that we need the other end of the board.

20220829_113718.thumb.jpg.e4e91e657d50989d6db74df53c6a5178.jpg

Since The Junkyard Dogs routinely sing in 3-part harmony there's no call for a harmoniser pedal. For those gigs, I swop out the harmoniser for the TC Helicon Voicetone X1 (on the left there). I've always sung and I carry a tune well, but my voice is a muddy baritone which simply does not cut through in a pub rock setting. The X1 is frankly a bit of a novelty act thing; it has eight settings, of which just one I find useful but thats OK, I only need that one setting!

https://www.tc-helicon.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DE4

With Damo & The Dynamites it's a whole nother thang. The drummer doesn't sing so all the BVs are me, and we do a lot of stuff where the song is 'made' by the harmony BVs ... think how lame a lot of early Elvis would have sounded without The Jordanaires. To achieve that I use the TC Helicon Voicetone H1, and that's the pedal that gets noticed; used wrong it's the most complete train wreck you can imagine, but used right it can really deliver. 

This pedal has the facility to run your guitar/bass through it which will automatically set the correct key, which is cool but of surprisingly limited use. Firstly, if you operate it like a pedal (i.e. with your foot) then you are either restricted to a single set of harmonies or you have to kneel down and fiddle with it between songs. Secondly, if you play a fretless bass or a double bass then the smallest error in your intonation can have catastrophic impact. 😂 I keep the whole board at waist height beside me and operate it manually.

Note the Tippex marks at E and A for easy location on a dark stage. As an aside, on one occasion I used this pedal to tune my bass at a gig ... I sang each note (EADG) with the pedal correcting my pitch, and tuned to it. 

https://www.tc-helicon.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DE1

When multiple harmonies are not needed but I still want it to sound as if more than one person is supplying BVs I switch to the TC Helicon Critical Mass. This is something of a halfway house between the Duplicator and the Voicetone H1; it can be used in quite a subtle way but it certainly beefs up the sound of a stripped-down 3-piece.

https://www.tc-helicon.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CGT

I should probably state for the record that I am NOT sponsored by or affiliated to TC Helicon ... I just like their pedals. All five of these were bought by me, with my own money. 

Speaking of which, all these pedals have increased in price substantially since I bought them, by well over 50% in a couple of cases. On the other hand, we now have blue passports.

For context, in the unlikely event that someone wanted to duplicate precisely my vocal pedal board today, and bought new all the way (I always buy pre-owned if I can), they would still have change from a grand. That's including the Nano and both power supplies.

If my board got nicked and I needed to replace it, I would expect to spend half that figure. Now ask yourself how much a half-decent bass guitar costs ...

Edited by Happy Jack
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

One thing to keep in mind is that effects on BVs, and especially the harmoniser, sound great but have the tendency to sound louder than normal, naked BVs. The setlist I'm given at every Damo And The Dynamites gig has a column detailing what the BVs go through on each song, so I can adjust the BVs channel's volume manually to be loud enough to be appropriate to the song and enjoyable, but not overwhelm the lead vocals.*

Edit to add: that's what almost all sound engineers at big open air events get spectacularly wrong unless they've studied the band's live videos extensively in advance. That, of course, is very unlikely to happen, understandably.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow that's extremely helpful and really interesting.

My singing has got really poor as I'm completely out of practice.

In one quite electronic band I was in I always went through a Digitech vocalist vhm5. Super massed harmony with a robotic tinge. 

Had a built in keyboard or could use midi. This was a unit from the mid 90s so can only imagine the leaps and bounds the tech has done since then.

• Happy Jack changed the title to Backing Vocals and Harmonisers
On 29/08/2022 at 17:17, Happy Jack said:

Mind you, no matter how good those pedals are, they can't save you from

The other version is when the boom joint isn't quite fully tightened, and the mic gets performance anxiety and gradually droops lower and lower.

• Haha 1

This old pedal i've had for many years, is the danglies for vocalists, lead or bv.

You can alter anything on the main and harmony / ADT - the dymanics, loudness, EQ, delay,  reverb, pitch blah blah. 3rds, 5ths, triple voice, radio ( honest ! ) and gender on any harmony

It's dynamite as long as you put the work in.  It has loads of user presets too.

VE20.jpg

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1