Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig of choice for the weekend ** Basschat edition**

bassace97

Rig of choice this weekend was a little old school, well more than usual. It's such a reassuring feeling having a wall of unstoppable power behind you. No power sag or lag, no auto compression kicking in when you dig in hard, and no running out of steam. Ever. Sounded great and not too shabby a performance for a 37 year old 250watt amplifier and a 43 year old cab. The P-Bass was on its first outing and I have to admit, the satin finish maple player neck was sublime. Very smooth, very slim profile, stayed in tune and has a fast low rattle free action. Very impressed. The bass also weighs nearly a full kg lighter than my USA Standard. Only thing I did notice was that the player pickup while not lacking in output seems more aggressive in the low-mid/mid department and is defintely not as smooth and rounded as its USA Standard counterpart. That's something i'll look into when time allows. All in a very enjoyable backline and the standby LMIII still hasn't had any gig time.

IMG_1722.thumb.jpeg.20c573edb1c5924987acfce876ae0eaf.jpeg

• Like 7

This is my current rig I'm using at practice. It's obnoxiously heavy but gotta say it's an absolute beast. I've been super happy with my GK Fusion S class d head until I tried this Marshal VBA400. 

Combining that with the Schecter J4, Model FeT preamp and Longsword drive makes for the perfect gritty tone.

Kind of wish I'd played this setup before grabbing the Jad Freer Capo but tbh that thing is gonna make this even better!

0EEEC661-6A62-4A4A-BE7E-82547D24A4FB.thumb.jpeg.3c3f917a57a2033ec44e24e1b0de6437.jpeg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

This is my current rig I'm using at practice. It's obnoxiously heavy but gotta say it's an absolute beast. I've been super happy with my GK Fusion S class d head until I tried this Marshal VBA400. 

Combining that with the Schecter J4, Model FeT preamp and Longsword drive makes for the perfect gritty tone.

Kind of wish I'd played this setup before grabbing the Jad Freer Capo but tbh that thing is gonna make this even better!

0EEEC661-6A62-4A4A-BE7E-82547D24A4FB.thumb.jpeg.3c3f917a57a2033ec44e24e1b0de6437.jpeg

VBA400 FTW - gigged mine again last Saturday, just immense!😎🤘

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

VBA400 FTW - gigged mine again last Saturday, just immense!😎🤘

It's incredible. I've always been firmly in the camp of not buying into all tub heads and favouring class d/solid state GK stuff but this think is next level.

I did an AB against my GK Fusion S and was entirely convinced there'd be virtually no difference but it was night and day. The GK sounds great but it's just not the same. 

I've been retired from gigging for a few years now, so I downsized my carry rig last year to something more in tune with the semi-acoustic Americana oriented jam I play most Friday nights:

Combo_5e.jpg.a50ab8420d241741882d09bccf0c9096.jpg

I was gifted the homemade Baltic Birch 110 cab, which the former owner made to accommodate the little G-K MB Class D heads. The Traynor SB-200 head I put in there suits me surprisingly well and the whole thing weighs 26 lbs. The tiltback wedge doubles as a cable storage door on the top back of the cab, which I think is pretty clever. That's an Eminence Deltalite II 2510 driver, which is more than overkill for what I use it for. The guy who gave it to me bought both my huge heavy 115 cabs and as I was leaving he happened to ask what I was going to use at home now, then pulled this thing out and asked if I wanted it.  He had a second one he previously sold, and I had heard the pair on a few of his gigs and jumped on his offer right quick. And of course I never use it at home, because I sold off my wonderful 112 cab and replaced it with an even more wonderful 118 from the same manufacturer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassmanPaul said:

Charlie you're using a Canadian amp manufactured a couple of miles east along Kingston Road from my home!! :)

Whoda thunk! :D

I know Paul, and it completely blew away the little Phil Jones head I tried first. Traynor put some very clever engineering into that head, you can readily download the service manual and see for yourself.

• Like 1

Traynor is quite famous for making good sturdy robust gear at a decent price point.

It doesn’t carry any boutique cachet , but it will generally do the job it was designed to do , without fail , for damned near ever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...