Why become a member? ×

Fave new ...old ish ...bands and why did you avoid them in the first place!

Barking Spiders

37 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

INXS for me.

I had Kick (who didn't) but never fully appreciated what a great band they were and what a brilliant front man and singer Michael Hutchence was until I saw Live Baby Live recently. 

Interesting as I grew up with Inxs after my sister went to Australia in 1983, saw them live over there and brought back the 12" vinyl of Original Sin. Nobody over hear had heard of them until What You Need came out in 1985. I'd go as far as saying Garry Gary Beers was a big influence on me when I started to play bass in 1987 as I was heavily into the Shabooh Shoobah, The Swing and Listen Like Thieves albums and loved his playing and Sunburst Fender Precision's. I even saw them play at Wembley Arena in 1987. Amazing band.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raslee said:

A recent new band to me is an all female USA pop art, dare i say slightly psychedelic, band called 'Warpaint', never heard of them until about 6 weeks ago and been listening to them ever since. Not sure what it is i like about them as it's not the usual stuff i'd listen to - perhaps just some well crafted tunes, nice vocals etc.

They were on jools Holland a couple of years back. Singer was pregnant as I recall 

On 15/08/2022 at 18:50, MacDaddy said:

Bauhaus

Passed me by at the time, even though they are my best buds fave band.

Saw them the first time they reformed and toured, one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Awesome band 😎

Saw them back first time around (accidentally - I was dragged to the gig) - fantastic live, never got the kudos they deserved.

Re the OP, for me - Darryl Hall & John Oates; back then IMO they were just another “meh” American band, but I’m playing some of their stuff now and it’s soooooooo classy..........😎

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Re the OP, for me - Darryl Hall & John Oates; back then IMO they were just another “meh” American band, but I’m playing some of their stuff now and it’s soooooooo classy..........😎

Always liked Hall and Oates. Seen them a couple of times live and they were absolutely superb too, especially with 

their late bassist T-Bone Wolk. (Enjoyed the 'Daryl's House' series of videos on YT in case you've missed them.)

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Always liked Hall and Oates. Seen them a couple of times live and they were absolutely superb too, especially with 

their late bassist T-Bone Wolk. (Enjoyed the 'Daryl's House' series of videos on YT in case you've missed them.)

When I was a teenage scrote I only ever listened to ballsy rock with loud guitars and dismissed anything that was melodic and slower. My elder sister had 'Abandoned Luncheonette' which I couldn't tolerate at the time. As an adult, I've largely moved on from loud guitar-based  music and now have several H & O CDs. They're one classy act and IMO Daryl Hall is one of the very best male singers of the last 50 years. Just so many great tunes.

• Like 1

The Tubes. At the Record World in Boston they had posters for "What Do You Want From Live?" in that punk multi-color, like the album cover, and I thought they were a punk band. Came back to New Jersey where I was hanging out@ a fraternity house and my buddy says, "No no no..." and puts on Mondo Bondage and I WAS HOOKED. Bought all the albums and got the WDYWFL? joke.
Got to see them live for the Remote Control tour and Todd Rundgren showed up (he produced the album).

• Like 2

Nine Inch Nails

I think when I was younger I was like "urgh, synths" but finally gave The Downward Spiral a go a couple of years ago and was astonished at how good it is

I reckon if I'd heard them about the age of 20 they'd have become my favourite band.

• Like 1