Why become a member? ×

Andy Rourke...Bass Hero

bass_in_ya_face

Thought I'd pretty much heard everything by The Smiths...then I discovered this little gem hiding on a b-side......man listen to that bass

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJb1TJXCFcM"]The Draize Train[/url]

Mr Rouke you are a legend sir.

Johnny Marr ain't too shabby either :)...another hero of mine

Edited by bass_in_ya_face

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='464948' date='Apr 17 2009, 01:05 PM']Thought I'd pretty much heard everything by The Smiths...then I discovered this little gem hiding on a b-side......man listen to that bass

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJb1TJXCFcM"]The Draize Train[/url]

Mr Rouke you are a legend sir.

Johnny Marr ain't too shabby either :)...another hero of mine[/quote]

Good call, probably the main reason I picked up a bass was after hearing Andy Rourke.
If you like 'Draize Train', chances are you'll probably like this too. Saw them do this live Salford back in '86.

Which shortly afterwards became this!

Edited by nick

[quote name='acidbass' post='465199' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:22 PM']I still smile every time I hear the bassline to 'This Charming Man'. Quality, innovative bass playing![/quote]
and Sheila take a bow ..
Fab use of "The Gap" pushing things along

[quote name='nick' post='465049' date='Apr 17 2009, 02:26 PM']Good call, probably the main reason I picked up a bass was after hearing Andy Rourke.
If you like 'Draize Train', chances are you'll probably like this too. Saw them do this live Salford back in '86.

Which shortly afterwards became this!

[/quote]

Cheers, being a Roxy fan i knew about this one

Andy Rourke is the reason I play bass. I learned most, if not all The Smiths bass lines at one point in my life and my poor mother who bought me my first bass had to endure that (as well as early New Model Army stuff [Stuart Morrow was it..??]).

An absolute bass genius and seriously up there with Jamerson in his musicality and ability to have a song within a song, albeit with a lot less of them under his belt.

Very highly regarded around these parts.

D.

PS another bass hero of mine from the past is Will Heggie. A virtual pint to whoever tells me what band he was in (but not his most famous one!). No Google searches either!! I met him a few times and he's astounding with the chordy stuff.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='465663' date='Apr 17 2009, 11:32 PM']Andy Rourke is the reason I play bass. I learned most, if not all The Smiths bass lines at one point in my life and my poor mother who bought me my first bass had to endure that (as well as early New Model Army stuff [Stuart Morrow was it..??]).

An absolute bass genius and seriously up there with Jamerson in his musicality and ability to have a song within a song, albeit with a lot less of them under his belt.

Very highly regarded around these parts.

D.

PS another bass hero of mine from the past is Will Heggie. A virtual pint to whoever tells me what band he was in (but not his most famous one!). No Google searches either!! I met him a few times and he's astounding with the chordy stuff.[/quote]
I love The Cocteau Twins but I think you mean Lowlife?
I meet Liz Fraser at a party once, she was incredibly horny, my then girlfriend didn't approve. :)

• 5 months later...

Andy Rourke is the main reason i'm a bass player, his ability astounds me. The band i'm in did a last-minute stand in at a gig in Manc and Andy was in the audience, my head totally went but i just about held it together. Surreal experience.

I'd rate my top 5 Rourke basslines as (in no particular order)

The Headmaster Ritual
This Charming Man
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
You've Got Everything Now

[quote name='rasher80' post='620548' date='Oct 8 2009, 01:53 PM']Andy Rourke is the main reason i'm a bass player, his ability astounds me. The band i'm in did a last-minute stand in at a gig in Manc and Andy was in the audience, my head totally went but i just about held it together. Surreal experience.

I'd rate my top 5 Rourke basslines as (in no particular order)

The Headmaster Ritual
This Charming Man
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
You've Got Everything Now[/quote]

There is a Light That Never Goes Out is awesome. I also like Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others and Bigmouth Strikes Again.
All from "The Queen Is Dead", BTW.