Why become a member? ×

Basschat 2x12

JPJ

Yes I used WinISD for the calculations/modelling. The results are around what I expected but the program makes a number of assumptions about the design which can put the tuning out a little. When we do this as a 'proper' BassChat design we also check the T/S parameters by directly measuring them. So far the Faitals have proven to be pretty much on spec but that isn't always true of every speaker.

• Like 2

I've been away from BC and bass playing in general for a while, mainly due to other pressures/responsibilities - and of course that COVID thing.

Coming back in to the 'fold' at last, and my how things have developed during my absence - this BC cab stuff is amazing: well done @stevieand @Phil Starr and those also contributing.

So, is there likely to be a 1x15 design at some point?  Or did I miss that already?

Geoff

8 hours ago, RandomBass said:

I've been away from BC and bass playing in general for a while, mainly due to other pressures/responsibilities - and of course that COVID thing.

Coming back in to the 'fold' at last, and my how things have developed during my absence - this BC cab stuff is amazing: well done @stevieand @Phil Starr and those also contributing.

So, is there likely to be a 1x15 design at some point?  Or did I miss that already?

Geoff

I've a 115 design at home with an Eminence Deltalite as the driver, I think I can do better with the choice of driver but if you are happy with building a one off at any stage I'm happy to share what is work in progress.

i've a 1x15 design 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I've a 115 design at home with an Eminence Deltalite as the driver, I think I can do better with the choice of driver but if you are happy with building a one off at any stage I'm happy to share what is work in progress.

That's interesting indeed, however I have a Kappalite 3015 which would be the donor driver for this.  Does that make much difference to the cab design?

1 hour ago, RandomBass said:

That's interesting indeed, however I have a Kappalite 3015 which would be the donor driver for this.  Does that make much difference to the cab design?

It will. The Kappalite has a more powerful magnet system and this damps the movement of the speaker more than the less powerful motor system in the Deltalite. This means it works better in a smaller cabinet. The kappalite is the speaker to beat for a tweeterless 115 for me and something I was considering for a Basschat design, and my own use. It's the basis for the original barefaced cab and a great choice used by a lot of other people. Not only does it have an excellent bass response but a wide flat upper mid peak that will sound quite musical.

If you are serious about a build then why not start another thread and we can maybe do something there. Hopefully you can put up some pics of the build and encourage others to have a go at a self build :) Best to tag me on that thread as I've got a new band and don't come on quite as often as when I'm with an established band or between bands.

• Like 2

Interesting stuff, I've been looking for a used vertical 212, but they don't often come up, so maybe DIY is an option.

I tried and was after the discontinued/gone Genz Benz 212T Neo  which was really impressive. these have dual edge(side) porting.

I can see Jeffs new Genzler brand do a similar sized NU Classic 212T in similar dimensions with bottom porting, but expensive in UK (if you could even get them) 

Can other speakers than Faital's be used /modelled in this design?  such as  Eminence DELTA 12LF 8ohm? I think I have a couple of them spare somewhere. Weight isn't a huge factor for me..

Thanks, Neil 

Genz Benz 212T.png

Nu Classic.png

Edited by orangepeelneil
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, stevie said:

The few specs provided by TKS coincide with the specs of the Eminence Kappalite (non-LF version).

This sounds right to me too. Early on Tommy was experimenting with a range of drivers and sold off a few of his trialled drivers here. I tried to buy some of them. I got the impression at the time he had settled on eminence.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I’ve started to assemble the components needed to build the Basschat 2x12 and I will document the build here but before I do, two final questions for @Phil Starr - is there any advantage/disadvantage to:

1) adding the Basschat 1x12v3 crossover and high frequency driver to this cab?

2) splitting the baffle and angling the top half back at 10-15 degrees so that the upper speaker is not firing straight at the back of your legs (I seem to remember a Hartke speaker like this a few years back)?

• Like 1

I currently use the genzbenz NX2  212 cab and like it very much....doesn't do the sub bass thing but i was never keen on that, i much prefer a balanced tone which this does really well.....I must say, I like the angled baffle idea!

The angled baffle idea appeals to me although my version would be in a rectangular box and partly hidden by the conventional vertical speaker grill. 
However, I suspect that having spent many hours reading what the luminaries of loudspeaker design share freely on here, I will be introducing some unwanted sonic effect such as ‘comb filtering’ by having the two drivers in close proximity but on different planes. 

1 hour ago, JPJ said:

OK, so I’ve started to assemble the components needed to build the Basschat 2x12 and I will document the build here, but before I do, two final questions for @Phil Starr - is there any advantage/disadvantage to:

1) adding the Basschat 1x12v3 crossover and high frequency driver to this cab?

I have been working with @stevieand @Phil Starralthough they did all the heavy lifting. We did discuss a 2nd cabinet to add to the BC112, The idea was that the second cab would not have a tweeter but would have a low pass filter that removes the upper mids and high frequencies. The idea of the LPF is that with two drivers, there are interference frequencies that introduce peaks and troughs in the response. These are not huge, and perhaps we were being picky.

We never proceeded, as none of us really found the need. The 1x12 goes incredibly loud, I have never felt the need for the extra output an extra driver would give. Of course, you may need the extra oomph.

9 minutes ago, stevie said:

To add to what @Chienmortbb said, there are several reasons why you can't use the BC12v3 crossover. The main one is that we are dealing with a 4-ohm system here, whereas the crossover was designed for an 8-ohm system.

Well that's one question comprehensively answered - thanks @stevie

If I were designing this (which I'm not), I'd use this port layout:

image.thumb.png.959a1b0239efacf8bdbe88c1e9886ae3.png

It offers several benefits. It helps brace the speaker where it needs it most - in the centre (rather at the bottom where the bracing is not needed). It helps with standing waves within the cabinet, which would likely be quite audible in a box this size. It would also make it easier to build a cab with a slanted top baffle if you wanted to do that.

Edited by stevie

45 minutes ago, stevie said:

If I were designing this (which I'm not), I'd use this port layout:

image.thumb.png.959a1b0239efacf8bdbe88c1e9886ae3.png

It offers several benefits. It helps brace the speaker where it needs it most - in the centre (rather at the bottom where the bracing is not needed). It helps with standing waves within the cabinet, which would likely be quite audible in a box this size. It would also make it easier to build a cab with a slanted top baffle if you wanted to do that.

Just use the plans as guidance. It is designed for 18" speakers, so the dimensions need revising.