Why become a member? ×

Basschat 2x12

JPJ

More learned types will be along with details but on a basic level you can't generalise and say 10/12/15 needs 'X' dimensions.  You start with what are the specs of your speaker not just the diameter, be aware not all manufacturers supply all the spec.  You take this spec and put it into an app (I dabbled with it and it's not 'that' hard... I'm over 60), which you then tweak to achieve what you want and the dimensions are given.  

There are lots of ifs and buts but if you know the manufacturer and speaker model number you can get a good idea of the volume required... you can decide how you achieve that volume with your height/width/depth.  

Of course you could just measure the dimensions of another cab and get a rough idea but as others will explain you could hit on but it might be pot luck how good it sounds (ports, vents, bracing, material density + thickness etc etc).

On 16/01/2024 at 01:14, Marty Forrer said:

A numpty enquiry. I've built cabs before but always just used the dimensions of a commercial cab as a guide. Is there a formula or a program for calculating dimensions when given a volume, eg: 50L with a depth of say 12" ? I'm struggling to get my aged, rock n roll addled brain around it.

WinISD is the program most of us use. It's free. You have to input the parameters from the manufacturers data sheets and once these are saved you can ask it to design a cab and it will print out the bass response of it's design. You can then change the size and tuning of the cab and it will show you what the changes do on screen as you do them. It's quite useful to set up two projects with the same speaker at a time and it will show you two responses, you can then tweak one and see exactly how that compares with the suggested design.

The cab only really affects the bass response directly so that is all it calculates.

It also shows you things like power handling, maximum output and so on. The sky (or your growing knowledge of cab design) is the limit but it will design a simple box for you too. If you get stuck there are lots of BassChatters here to help.

http://www.linearteam.org/

• Like 3

On 15/01/2024 at 17:08, Bassybert said:

Did you get any further with this build @JPJ?

No I haven’t, unfortunately life got in the way and whilst I haven’t given up, I bought a Vanderkley 2x12 to fill the gap in my cab arsenal in the interim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1