Why become a member? ×

Choosing First Bass

RogerR5

I'm an intermediate guitar player and wish to get a bass but don't know much about the bass world. I would like to learn slap bass. On guitar I play blues, 80s hard rock and metal so I think it would be best to have something quite versatile.

I really have no idea what the best options are. I don't have a budget in mind, but I don't want to pay too much if something cheaper will do just as good. I've heard I should get a 5 string if I do anything with metal. I came up with this list, but don't know if these are good options, or if there is anything better suited.

• SQUIER CLASSIC VIBE 70S JAZZ BASS V (£359)

• IBANEZ EHB1005MS 5-STRING HEADLESS (£999)

• Ibanez SR605E-CTF (£715)

• Fender Player Plus Jazz Bass V Cosmic Jade (£990)

Any advice would be appreciated.

My advice would be to firstly think of the bassists whose sound you like. If it turns out they all use the same type of bass then getting something similar will be helpful. Secondly having said that a visit if possible to a good music shop and letting your hands find your bass will also be helpful. 
A lot of metal nowadays goes very low so a 5 string could be a good place to start, rather than possibly having to make the switch at a later date.

I am not sure if you meant that you play 80s metal or metal in general. To my knowledge nobody in the 80s played 5 string..

I have found that I strangely get less satisfaction from playing music clearly written for 4 strings if I have a fifth string there doing nothing. I have just sold both my 5 strings for that reason.

I suggest looking a bit more into whether you actually need the low B. Do the bands in the sort of metal you play actually use it? Do you use a 7-string guitar or detune often?

• Like 1

I'd look at a Fender Player Precision (£699) and a Squier Classic Vibe '702 Precision (£349).

Try and get some hands on playing time so pick a less busy period at a store with good stocks.

A Precision will get all the sounds you want - don't think a single pickup makes them 'less versatile' it's not so. Try a few, one will be the best one 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RogerR5 said:

I'm an intermediate guitar player and wish to get a bass but don't know much about the bass world. I would like to learn slap bass. On guitar I play blues, 80s hard rock and metal so I think it would be best to have something quite versatile.

I really have no idea what the best options are. I don't have a budget in mind, but I don't want to pay too much if something cheaper will do just as good. I've heard I should get a 5 string if I do anything with metal. I came up with this list, but don't know if these are good options, or if there is anything better suited.

If its your first bass and you are not sure how well you are going to get on with it, I would absolutely not buy anything new. There are a lot of very good second hand deals around. If you are going to buy something new, don't buy it unless you have tried it in a shop.

From your list, I have an EHB, whcih is great, but expensive, and I could absolutely not play a fender jazz 5 string as the necks are way too wide for me and never found they really worked for me.

Also the use of a 5 string has very little to do with if you are playing metal or not - I tend to only play 5 strings, but don't play much metal, and probably if I did it would be 80s metal on a 4 string). Also what sort of metal are you playing slap to?

Get something cheap, second hand, and play it until you can work out what it is you like / don't like about it, then get something a bit more expensive when you know what it is that you want. If I was in your position I wouldn't be looking at paying more than £200. Get a used Ibanez 305 if you want a 5 string or a squier jazz if you want a 4 string.

• Like 4

Good advice from Woodinblack (although I also would consider a precision). I would add to what I said that chosing a 5 string over a 4 may not be as straightforward as it may seem. For example, if you get the Ibanez 305 he is suggesting, you get a narrow string spacing. This ensures that the neck is not huge and in a way makes it more confortable. But lot of people find it unconfortable for slap (as you need to get your fingers in between strings) and a lot of people just do not like it and prefer the traditional feel of a bass with wider string spacing.

If you get a 5 string with wide string spacing, you have a big neck which some people struggle with, and possibly a heavy neck (which would likely need a heavier body to balance).

Obviously similar arguments could be made for 4 string, but to a smaller scale.

On top of that, muting strings that you are not playing can be an issue (else they just vibrate and there is this "drone" going when you play). This can be/be seen as a problem. And muting on 5 strings is much harder.

Mind you, these are not at all big problems. You can find your way around them easily. Just something to keep in mind.

If you want to slap then a relatively low end 5 string would not be my starting point. That low B is unlikely to sound very good, especially slapped, and will rumble on and on in sympathy whilst you’re playing other strings, making your playing messy, until you learn to dampen it. As an exclusively 5- and 6-string player for over 25 years, I’d really recommend a 4-string. It’s so much easier. There is also no mandate that requires you to play a 5-string for any style of music. You can happily play 99.9999% of all recorded music on a 4 and transpose a few notes on much of the rest. Play a 5 only because you really want to play a 5. You’ll also have plenty more choices :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paolo85 said:

Good advice from Woodinblack (although I also would consider a precision). I would add to what I said that chosing a 5 string over a 4 may not be as straightforward as it may seem. For example, if you get the Ibanez 305 he is suggesting, you get a narrow string spacing. This ensures that the neck is not huge and in a way makes it more confortable. But lot of people find it unconfortable for slap (as you need to get your fingers in between strings) and a lot of people just do not like it and prefer the traditional feel of a bass with wider string spacing.

Agreed - actually if I was primarily wanting to do slap I wouldn't pick a 5 string at all, as it adds complications and gets in the way leaving you with ringing harmorncs (or more of them anyway).

I think traditional isn't anything to worry about, if you are new you have no tradition - probably why I like narrow, my first 5 string bass had 15mm spacing, my first ric copy had 16.5, so now 17.5 is about the widest I can go before I get lost in the gaps.

• Like 1

I would also keep in mind that the EHB1005MS is a multi-scale bass with fanned frets, I personally wouldn't feel that confident picking up a multi-scale 5 strings as first bass, I'd be spending 90% of the time figuring out how to mute the B string when not in use and getting used to the different fret positions. 

80s hard rock and metal in general. Seems most things I would play don't really need a 5 string, so I think I'll go with 4.

I think a Fender Player Precision is probably going to be a great choice. I also found the SCHECTER MODEL-T SESSION BASS for a similar price. Any thoughts on that vs the Fender P Bass?

• Like 1

If you want to learn to play slap, then the Precision is not the most appropriate bass to do it on, owing to its lack of high end and fidelity. Yes I hear that they have been used here and there on famous recordings using slap bass but the vast majority of famous slap bass players do not use Precisions, and I’d wager most people on here who play slap don’t either. If it’s to be a Fender then a two pick up variant like a Jazz would be more appropriate. 

Alternatively look for a cheap variant of a bass associated with slap, such as the lower priced versions of Stingrays (Ray 4 or 5), or Ibanez or Yamaha, or a Squier Jazz. 

You've got quite a wide range of styles of music you want to play and also quite a wide variance in price from the basses you've listed as possibilities.

I'd definitely be looking at a J or PJ to cover the difference between slap and the grunt you want from metal and I'd stick to a 4 string for now.

What's your budget and do you need an amp as well??

23 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

If you want to learn to play slap, then the Precision is not the most appropriate bass to do it on, owing to its lack of high end and fidelity. Yes I hear that they have been used here and there on famous recordings using slap bass but the vast majority of famous slap bass players do not use Precisions, and I’d wager most people on here who play slap don’t either. If it’s to be a Fender then a two pick up variant like a Jazz would be more appropriate. 

Alternatively look for a cheap variant of a bass associated with slap, such as the lower priced versions of Stingrays (Ray 4 or 5), or Ibanez or Yamaha, or a Squier Jazz. 

That is a good call there DrT, a Jazz has the highs for that kind of material and can easily be backed off to get a nearly there Precision tone.

• Like 1

That's why I was looking at the SCHECTER MODEL-T SESSION BASS because it has a J pickup as well, so I assume it's more versatile.

I didn't really have a budget in mind, now I'm thinking maybe up to about £700 and then £250 on a practice amp. I don't want to go too cheap. I made that mistake with guitar.

3 hours ago, RogerR5 said:

That's why I was looking at the SCHECTER MODEL-T SESSION BASS because it has a J pickup as well, so I assume it's more versatile.

I didn't really have a budget in mind, now I'm thinking maybe up to about £700 and then £250 on a practice amp. I don't want to go too cheap. I made that mistake with guitar.

For that sort of money you should be able to get a nice used Sterling by Musicman  Ray 34 (or the 5 string Ray 35) - these are import versions of the full fat US versions, or if you can find one, a USA Sub (not to be confused with the SBMM ones) - they were a more cheaply finished US Stingray. Or a decent Fender Jazz or PJ, or Yamaha, Ibanez etc etc. As has been suggested earlier, it would be worth going and trying some of these basses out if possible (whilst noting most music shops have dreadfully limited ranges of basses on display these days (whilst seemingly full of largely Fender and Gibson guitars). Andersons had a good selection of basses last time I went there. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, RogerR5 said:

Unless money really is no object at all, going too cheap will not be a problem (within limits, ie, £150 upwards). I did a 3 hour gig last sunday on a bass that cost me £195 new, I did the previous gig on a £1500 bass. Noone noticed the difference, except the drummer said 'Oh cool, I like that one' for the £195 one (although that is more the shape). I did 50 gigs between 2015-2017 on a Squier 70s p bass. I had the choice of a fender P, I picked the squier as it was better.

Obviously you spend your money how you want, but don't make the mistake of thinking that paying more money gets you something better. it can, but it doesn't necessarily follow. And as you say yourself you arent' familiar with basses yet, when you do find out what you want, you will probably want to get another bass, and that is the one worth spending money on.

You buy the schecter that you want for £700, then find out it isn't right, you can sell it for £400. If you buy a s/h squier jazz for £200, when you sell it you can get £200 and get what you want.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RogerR5 said:

Yeah, I think you're right to look at a PJ for the versatility, as has been mentioned - MM basses are worth a look at too and fit what you're after. Sire basses have a really great pre amp in them and you can get a wide range of tones from them. The G&L L2000 Tribute is extremely versatile, but worth playing one just to see how you get on with the neck as it's a chunky one, the main selling point with these is you get exactly teh same pick ups and bridge that goes into the full fat USA version. Where abouts are you? Just thinking we may be able to throw some decent shops your way so you can get a feel of the different necks and their profiles, or throw something 2nd hand near you your way.

TBF, it's pretty hard to find a crap bass nowadays and you can still get some decent gear (like Harley Benton, SX or Revelation) at the lower end, so I wouldn't go into this thinking cheap = crap. I regularly gig a £300 bass over a £2k bass and there is some great value to be had out there at the minute.

On the amp front - I'd look at something that's about 15w for home use, Fender, Ashdown, Orange & Ampeg all make great practice amps for home use. I have a 15w Fender Rumble and don't need to go any way near above 9 o clock for home use, I'm always well under so 15w is loads. Depending on who else is in the house and how much you like you neighbours, the main thing to make sure it has is a headphones out for silent practice and an aux in so you can jam along to mp3s. If you haven't got a clip on or some sort of app then a tuner is a nice to have too.

Or you could pick up something like a Zoom B1 Four. It's a great little pedal with a few decent effects thrown in and you can use it for completely silent home practice. I have an 8 month old daughter in the house, so have to make time to play around her naps. This is a great bit of kit for me!

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Unless money really is no object at all, going too cheap will not be a problem (within limits, ie, £150 upwards). I did a 3 hour gig last sunday on a bass that cost me £195 new, I did the previous gig on a £1500 bass. Noone noticed the difference, except the drummer said 'Oh cool, I like that one' for the £195 one (although that is more the shape). I did 50 gigs between 2015-2017 on a Squier 70s p bass. I had the choice of a fender P, I picked the squier as it was better.

Obviously you spend your money how you want, but don't make the mistake of thinking that paying more money gets you something better. it can, but it doesn't necessarily follow. And as you say yourself you arent' familiar with basses yet, when you do find out what you want, you will probably want to get another bass, and that is the one worth spending money on.

You buy the schecter that you want for £700, then find out it isn't right, you can sell it for £400. If you buy a s/h squier jazz for £200, when you sell it you can get £200 and get what you want.

This is great advice and is what I'd do too. If you don't mind losing £300 or so if, in a few months, you've had a go at bass and want to shift that thing in the corner that's just gathering dust, then buy new. Otherwise, look second hand as you'll make your outlay back and be able to invest it back in a more expensive bass if you really want to upgrade later on. 

The only issue is that the Model T isn't that common and don't come up loads second hand, so if you have your heart set on it and don't want to wait then new might be your only option. Can't say I've played one, but I do like the look of them, and they come with decent EMG's from what I've heard.

Edited by Jonesy

4 hours ago, RogerR5 said:

I second those saying that cheap does not mean bad. A 200 pound bas can be perfectly playable, giggable and sound very good. At that price range you often may want to change tuners at least in my experience (say 50 pounds additional cost) or else look at slightly more expensive basses but not by much (eg under 400 new)

The problem is not so much the quality of cheaper basses, but the risk of quality control issues (eg bad fretwork or stuff like that). While in principle the more you spend the more you can count on QC, that is not really a simple equation. By reputation, and in my limited experience, if you get an Ibanez QC is great at any price. You may not like the pickups or the woods, but it is unlikely to have actual issues. For other brands including Fender you hear more mixed opinions on QC. I have only ever had Squires, funny enough I am returning one because the truss rod does not work.

Sire supposedly has an amazing QC, although I was disappointed twice.

The best insurance in that sense if you buy new is to buy from a shop with good customer service eg a good online retalier will let you return a bass with say bad fretwork with no questions asked and very little hassle. A good shop where you could try the bass would not let you return the bass based on things that you could have noticed in the shop (eg fretwork), but they certainly would if there are hidden issues.

Buying second hand takes a bit more time and work, there is an element of risk, but as many said is the best option. I bought a bass here for 265 in February, we did not bond, I sold it just recently basically at the same price. A few weeks ago I bought a battered Squier Precision from 2008 for 125 (not the one I am returning, another one). It had an upgraded pickup. After changing strings, cleaning it and sanding the gloss a bit on the neck I am now absolutely in love with it. Sounds great, fretwork is better than in more expensive basses I have had, tuners keep in tune, weight is average.

That does not mean it is pointless buying more expensive basses, obviously, but still...

Edited by Paolo85
Clarify on Squires