Why become a member? ×

Naming vintage Fender

nilorius

24 minutes ago, nilorius said:

When is the time You can call You Fender - vintage ?

The general rule for Fender guitars and basses would be pre-1970. This is not a legal definition, of course (there is no such definition...). Giving the date of manufacture would be a far more important statement than merely 'vintage'; it may even be wise to not use such a term.
Hope this helps. :friends:

• Like 1

In the antiques / secondhand world; generally something has to be at least 50 years old to be called vintage, and at least 100 years to be antique

Edit: beaten to it.........😕

Edited by Shaggy

8 minutes ago, nilorius said:

I am not calling my j vintage, it's only 2002.

'Vintage', despite its etymology, does not mean 'twenty years' (from the French: vingt = twenty...). Its meaning differs in different markets (vintage cars, vintage furniture, vintage wines, vintage guitars...). Giving the actuel date is far more significant information for instruments. 

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

'Vintage', despite its etymology, does not mean 'twenty years' (from the French: vingt = twenty...). Its meaning differs in different markets (vintage cars, vintage furniture, vintage wines, vintage guitars...). Giving the actuel date is far more significant information for instruments. 

Actually, i am not interested in selling mine as vintage, just want to know when criteria is - vintage.

3 minutes ago, neepheid said:

It's become just another misused word on eBay - I pay it about as much mind as L@@K

So You would be ready to pay 6000e for roadworn 2010.made vintage fender, if it sound and looks great to You?

12 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Maybe be i disunderstood, sorry.

Fair enough, then I'll clarify - in the context of describing basses, the word "vintage" has been so misused (as in, thrown around like confetti) that I basically ignore it. That doesn't negate my ability to determine what a fair price for an instrument is.

This phenomenon is not restricted to basses and guitars. I've seen 5 year old Lego sets with the word "vintage" in their description. Cue much eye rolling and "what-e-ver" from me.*

It is possible that the word has evolved to mean "no longer available to buy new"?

* - more like yelling "EFFING VINTAGE, ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME? THAT SET HAS GOT STUDLESS PARTS FFS!" at the screen...

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1