Why become a member? ×

RIP Vangelis

Oh dear...

Very musical... and a partner to our Chris Squire led musical chums Yes... and Jon Anderson's solo excursions...

Also, dare I say it, the silent collaborator on aforementioned singer's solo album, 'Olias of Sunhillow'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glenavydrongo said:

First album I ever bought, “Heaven & Hell”. That wasn’t yesterday….

First one I bought was See You Later. Initially I wondered why I'd wasted my saved school dinner money, but when Side One finished with Memories of Green, I was absolutely blown away. I played that track over and over again, lying on my bedroom floor in the dark. His music has stayed with me ever since.

RIP Vangelis.

I remember watching Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' series and hearing the excerpt from 'Heaven and Hell' and wondering what it was. Took me a while to find out (pre-internet days) but it's a great album. I also have Aphrodite's Child '666' which is a great, if a little bizarre, album. Vangelis is my go-to chill music provider.

• Like 1

Really sad to hear this. I tried learning Greek a few years back (unsuccessfully) and part of the course was we had to do a little presentation so I picked Vangelis. Have all the J&V stuff and some Aphrodites Child too along with the odd solo album. He auditioned for Yes after Wakeman left first time and eventually they picked Pat Moraz instead. Apparently Vangelis spent more time playing drums at the audition than keyboards, bit of a character by sounds of things.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KevB said:

Really sad to hear this. I tried learning Greek a few years back (unsuccessfully) and part of the course was we had to do a little presentation so I picked Vangelis. Have all the J&V stuff and some Aphrodites Child too along with the odd solo album. He auditioned for Yes after Wakeman left first time and eventually they picked Pat Moraz instead. Apparently Vangelis spent more time playing drums at the audition than keyboards, bit of a character by sounds of things.

In an interview I have, Steve Howe suggests the issue was that he just improvised every time whereas they needed more fixed parts, something to latch onto, so they mutually agreed there wasn’t any point continuing. 

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Gutted. He was a genius. This is my favourite; reduces me to tears every time:

Oh yes. That one gets to me too.

I've had this one on repeat for most of the day, to try to lighten the mood; it's nice and uplifting. Always make me think of driving on the open road as the sun comes up:

• Like 2

One of the godfathers of electronic music, especially with the sampling of parts of Bladerunner and many other tracks, by Boards of Canada, Air, UNKLE, Jay-Z, Kanye West, The Prodigy, Outkast, Enigma, a whole bunch of trance artists and many more. Most definitely a one-off.