Why become a member? ×

A headless conversion, but using the original tuners, and a large plank of wood.

Interesting. I alway assumed (although never actually checked) that strings got slightly narrower from ball end to the open end. If that is the case than that would give an interesting playing dynamic to this.

I reckon the balance will be off kilter with all of the weight South of the strap button and it's likely the headstock will whack you in the face if you're not careful.

(Mind you, if you buy that, you'll probably deserve it!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, prowla said:

I reckon the balance will be off kilter with all of the weight South of the strap button and it's likely the headstock will whack you in the face if you're not careful.

(Mind you, if you buy that, you'll probably deserve it!)

I've been wondering about putting strings on a rake for a while...

On 30/04/2022 at 17:48, bass_dinger said:

For my own education, could the luthier have used a commercially available body-mounted tuner?

Yes, it would have cost around £300 for a 5-string though because you can't get the dead cheap AliExpress headless kits in 5-string. Could have done five singles though.

Warwick and (IIRC) Kramer both took a similar approach to headless, so it sort of works.

• Like 1