Why become a member? ×

Sore finger tip

SteveXFR

I have used superglue before to cover tender fingers after blisters have popped (double bass).  

It was the difference between me playing and cancelling the gig, so a recommendation from me.

I noted it did crack and flake off after every song or two, so would constantly have to apply it between songs whilst blowing on it like mad so it would dry before the start of the next one and not glue me to the strings.

I have no idea how many toxins I introduced into my bloodstream that night but it got me through and I haven't had any issues in the 15 years since.....apart from my second head that grew out of my back...

• Haha 1

I've been using superglue for about 25 years if my tips get sensitive... It's only needed if I have a couple of weeks off playing, which is rare. But I've never had any cyanoacrylate problems.

I also play using my thumb as a sort of pick, so the outside and cuticle of right thumb also get the occasional dose.

Just be sure it's dry before touching owt or playing bass (I've only stuck fingers together once!)

I always have fabric plasters with me, and they usually work well. Protects the sore area and the fabric gives you a bit of traction. Make sure the plaster is well stuck down though. I once had one come unstuck at one end and started flapping  around,making it really awkward to play.

10 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

I have no idea how many toxins I introduced into my bloodstream that night but it got me through

One time exposure is relatively unlikely to result in immune system mayhem.

8 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

been using superglue for about 25 years if my tips get sensitive... It's only needed if I have a couple of weeks off playing, which is rare. But I've never had any cyanoacrylate problems.

You are one of the 95%, so far.

I am one of the 5%. My system has settled down but it has taken over ten years. Trust me, nobody would go down that rabbit hole voluntarily.

On 31/03/2022 at 19:49, Seashell2 said:

I always have fabric plasters with me, and they usually work well. Protects the sore area and the fabric gives you a bit of traction. Make sure the plaster is well stuck down though. I once had one come unstuck at one end and started flapping  around,making it really awkward to play.

This stuff is great. Really tuff but flexible and doesn't get sticky on the edges. 

I've got through many a gig on superglue or this tape. 

The tape sounds more natural when playing though. 

• Like 1