Why become a member? ×

NBD!! Ibanez EHB1505MS

NicoMcJ

This is superb. I’m genuinely flabbergasted. I seriously believe this is the most comfortable instrument of any sort I’ve ever played.

It sounds pretty badass too!

Totally pleased with this, the 5er I’ve been looking for!!!

99FC68DB-E33F-478B-86ED-AE51DCAF30F3.jpeg

CED6BEC0-F28A-402B-8D60-D9D61F553098.jpeg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Kev said:

Haven't had chance to play one yet.  Can't make my mind up what I'll think of the bizarre body contouring on the back?

The way it snuggles against your body - seated or standing - puts the strings at the perfect playing angle.  It’s phenomenal.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2022 at 19:41, Kev said:

Haven't had chance to play one yet.  Can't make my mind up what I'll think of the bizarre body contouring on the back?

I recently got a EHB 1005 MS which I think has identical body shape. It's a great Bass but I'm not sold on the back contouring - it means the lower side of fretboard is lifted up at a slight angle so you need to bend the fretting hand wrist around a bit more which I find a bit unconfortable. I'm considering bodging a mod (like taping on a bit of padding to the upper part of the back).

4 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I recently got a EHB 1005 MS which I think has identical body shape. It's a great Bass but I'm not sold on the back contouring - it means the lower side of fretboard is lifted up at a slight angle so you need to bend the fretting hand wrist around a bit more which I find a bit unconfortable. I'm considering bodging a mod (like taping on a bit of padding to the upper part of the back).

That was my concern, it seemed like it would sort of angle the bass up at you at the kind of strap height I have, which doesn't sound like something I'd want?

33 minutes ago, Kev said:

That was my concern, it seemed like it would sort of angle the bass up at you at the kind of strap height I have, which doesn't sound like something I'd want?

I haven't heard it mentioned as a negative thing very often and as it's deliberate design choice for improved erganomics I guess the majority of people like it,  but personally I'd prefer it to have a normal flat back so the fretboard sits more vertically rather than the lower side being slightly angled upwards. Perhaps I'll get used to it though and I don't think it's a deal breaker as it's not a huge angle, or hopefully it can be countered fairly simply by doing something like sticking a bit of padding to the top of the back. Overally I think it's a great Bass, the back contouring is the only real issue I have with it. 

Edited by SumOne

10 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Seems like availability is still very limited - most shops have both the 5 and 6 as out of stock or pre-order only. Is this due to the general supply issues at the moment or is it particular to the EHB models?

Are you in the UK? Andertons, GAK, Gear 4 Music, Guitar Guitar all look like they have quite a full range in stock.

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

Are you in the UK? Andertons, GAK, Gear 4 Music, Guitar Guitar all look like they have quite a full range in stock.

The 1506MS seems out of stock everywhere but the 1505MS in blue appears to be in stock in Gear4Music (are they actually UK?), GAK and PMT if their websites are to be believed. The solid colour models seem to be more available generally.

• Like 1

I'll eat my  curved back words:

Had a 3hr band practice last night, non-stop on my feet the whole time and no fatigue in wrists of shoulders or anywhere else from playing the Bass (my feet got a bit tired but I don't think I can blame the Bass for that!) so I guess that raised fretboard angle isn't an issue and possibly is a benefit. Or perheps it'd be even better if it sat flat, doesn't really matter though as it's good how it is.

Also, the Bass sounded good played loud in a band mix: Small/lightweight to transport and play, comfortable, stayed in tune, intonates well for every fret (not just open and 12th - an issue I've had with other Basses), easy to play and access all frets, reasonably low action (not the best but not bad), good variety of tones, looks different and interesting and like they have made an effort to be forward thinking in design and looks rather than a copy of a 50 yerar old design my grandad would've played. It's a keeper.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

completely understand why people would not like it, but from me it's a phwoar! :crazy:

Me too, from the first time I saw it on the adverts I thought it looked great. It is nice to have something that is not just a copy of a 70 year old design.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SumOne said:

I'll eat my  curved back words:

Had a 3hr band practice last night, non-stop on my feet the whole time and no fatigue in wrists of shoulders or anywhere else from playing the Bass (my feet got a bit tired but I don't think I can blame the Bass for that!) so I guess that raised fretboard angle isn't an issue and possibly is a benefit. Or perheps it'd be even better if it sat flat, doesn't really matter though as it's good how it is.

Also, the Bass sounded good played loud in a band mix: Small/lightweight to transport and play, comfortable, stayed in tune, intonates well for every fret (not just open and 12th - an issue I've had with other Basses), easy to play and access all frets, reasonably low action (not the best but not bad), good variety of tones, looks different and interesting and like they have made an effort to be forward thinking in design and looks rather than a copy of a 50 yerar old design my grandad would've played. It's a keeper.

That’s the thing - once you play it for any length of time anything that initially seems a “bit weird” goes away.  This is a perfectly designed instrument.

• Like 1