Why become a member? ×

Violin basses - first dabble

paulears

My grandson wanted to play my basses - but he's not big enough really, so I decided to buy a violin bass - tobacco finish - Rogue brand, as it wasn't that expensive. I didn't expect much and it didn't even appeal to me. Short scale - so a bit weedy and no guts, and worse a 4 string when I play 5 - have done for years.  I've got all sorts of basses. When it arrived I figured they'd not put the bass in the parcel - far too light, but no - it was there. Actually I'd not realised they were this size and weight. I tuned it up and plugged it in and got a big surprise - it's not bad at all. It records really well too. It's more like the old Rickenbacker I had years ago and it's got plenty at the bottom and loads of tone adjustment. I've got a bad back now and my American Jazz is probably double the weight. I always assumed and never checked, that these were a lightweight instrument in tone, style and playability, but I really like this thing - and I'm going to play it. Lots!

Has anyone else discovered the same thing? I've no idea if this is all violin basses including the original Hofners - so down to the design and style, or if it's just this particular brand.

• Like 3

I'm glad you like it. All the makes/models I've tried are just a bit different in feel & tone. I settled on a Hofner HCT & a Tanglewood. They're all just a bit different to each other & are to be enjoyed for being just that. 

A big sound and a light weight with a SS is a bonus when the old age problems of tired muscles & achy fingers overtake us. 

Enjoy. 🙂

P.S. I use LaBella FH760B2 strings.  

Edited by grandad

I've only ever had a very quick dabble on a very old Hofner, but the action was so high it was just about unplayable for me unfortunately.

I have seen some  old pictures of Robbie Shakespeare playing a Hofner, probably back in the early to mid 1970s. I can see how these basses would be great for reggae. I'd love to have a proper go on a decent example of a violin bass and channel my latent dub tendancies via a nice rubbery set of flatwounds.

11 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

I have the cheapest Hofner Club Bass with Pyramid Gold flatwounds. Fully hollow, 4.9 pounds and sounds great.

I have the same but with LaBella flats. A great sounding instrument. 

It's worth noting, if anyone's interested, that the Violin bass (500/1) and a Club bass (500/2) are essentially the same instrument with the same hardware and tone, but with a different bodyshape. 

I wanted that violin thump but really didn't want the McCartney link which comes with a violin bass whether you like it or not. 

I even went black as the sunburst still had too much of a 'hofner/Macca' vibe. 

OEx0z18.jpeg

@paulears, good work getting your grandson interested 🙂👍

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Is that a replacement control plate?

Yes, I didn't like how very white the pearl pickguard was so made a new one out of cream perspex to match the binding, and a matching control plate. The PG is slightly oversized with accentuated curves and the control plate slightly more rounded on the ends. Finished with a pair of vintage bakelite knobs. 

13 hours ago, Maude said:

Yes, I didn't like how very white the pearl pickguard was so made a new one out of cream perspex to match the binding, and a matching control plate. The PG is slightly oversized with accentuated curves and the control plate slightly more rounded on the ends. Finished with a pair of vintage bakelite knobs. 

Agreed the pickguard is too white. I took mine off completely.

On 28/02/2022 at 16:24, paulears said:

My grandson wanted to play my basses - but he's not big enough really, so I decided to buy a violin bass - tobacco finish - Rogue brand, as it wasn't that expensive. I didn't expect much and it didn't even appeal to me. Short scale - so a bit weedy and no guts, and worse a 4 string when I play 5 - have done for years.  I've got all sorts of basses. When it arrived I figured they'd not put the bass in the parcel - far too light, but no - it was there. Actually I'd not realised they were this size and weight. I tuned it up and plugged it in and got a big surprise - it's not bad at all. It records really well too. It's more like the old Rickenbacker I had years ago and it's got plenty at the bottom and loads of tone adjustment. I've got a bad back now and my American Jazz is probably double the weight. I always assumed and never checked, that these were a lightweight instrument in tone, style and playability, but I really like this thing - and I'm going to play it. Lots!

Has anyone else discovered the same thing? I've no idea if this is all violin basses including the original Hofners - so down to the design and style, or if it's just this particular brand.

My Hofner was a Contemporary Club model (China), neck, bridge, pickups--all identical to their violin bass. It needed work to bring the action down from the heavens, but had a lovely tone, and yes, was very lightweight.

20 hours ago, paulears said:

Grandson might, get a go but I'm keeping it safe - the action isn't mega low, and won't go lower, but it's very playable and no buzzes.

I'm now deeply concerned that I might attend a UK Beach Boys gig and find that Brian Wilson has borrowed Macca's bass ...

I used to really want a Hofner violin bass... kinda still do... cos you know... Hofner. If I could get a 5er, I'd have one. I keep toying with the idea of getting something commissioned but I've never gone as far...

But... the other day, I realised, that when it comes to violin guitars/basses... nobody has done it quite as well as this luthier.

image.thumb.png.1c4c929ede88c6245c8e9d0033cce849.png

• Like 2

I habe an HB beatbass.  After trying the Hofner at 300 sheets I doscovered the HB at half the price sounded much the same and was better finished.

As much as I like it the appeal is very limited.  I trot it out live to play Beatles numbers and thats about it really.  Overall though Im happy to own it. They say every peteolhead should own an Alfar Romeo, perhaps every bassist should own a violin bass?

Edited by Bassfinger